Thread: Matsui for MVP

For all the props being blown-up Jeter's and Sheff's asses, Matsui is the unsung hero of this squad. He is clutch.

He had many big hits in the season and last night was just the cherry on top of it all.

Hall Of Fame
    He is the one yankee I hate to see coming to bat in a clutch situation.

I wish he wore a B on his lid.

Maxman
    Guys he is hot right now. He had a great year. But Sheff carried this team when they were down.

He is clutch though no doubt about that.

There is little doubt that Sheff was the MVP for the Yankees this year. I was hoping he would be the MVP of this series but that error in the outfield cost us two runs. 5 RBIs - 2 Runs allowed = 3. So far the MVP candidates for the series are Mo, Bernie, and maybe Moose, those late runs made his line look bad, but if he puts up another gem he could take it.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 13 2004, 09:54 AM
    Guys he is hot right now. He had a great year. But Sheff carried this team when they were down.

He is clutch though no doubt about that.
    Yeah but Matsui is cool.

Hall Of Fame
    I just can't see anyone as UGLY as Matsui being an MVP! :lol:

Maxman
    Originally posted by Garbanza@Oct 13 2004, 11:45 AM
    I just can't see anyone as UGLY as Matsui being an MVP! :lol:
    I agree. That was my main point in why Derek was better then Nomar. Derek is so sexy, and Nomar has a big nose.

Hall Of Fame
    My two mvp's in the game tonight had to be matsui and mariano. Matsui was just clutch all game long and after what happend to mariano , for him to come back and shut down the sox is just amazing .

TomShane
    Yanks MVPs, in order:

1. Sheffield

2. Money

3. Steroids

4. Lack of education and thus thousands of lost high-paying jobs in Minnesota, Kansas City and Oakland that would have fueled the economies in that area, and thereby funding the baseball teams.

5. Matsui

I can certainly understand why Matsui is the last guy anyone from RSN wants to see up in a big spot ... he wears out Red Sox pitching

I saw his numbers verses the Red Sox last nite, and while I cannot recall the exact numbers, they were flatout obscene ... OFF THE CHARTS ... OBSCENE!!

I'm talking AVERAGE, POWER, RBI's, SLG%, you name it ... the guy just wears out Red Sox pitching ... and not just the back end of their rotation and bullpen, the man creams Curt Schilling and while he got off to a slow start verses Pedro, he even started getting BIG HITS off of him as of late as well

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a good hitter verses everyone, but he especially kills Red Sox pitching ... sorta like George Brett did to the Yankees back in the day, or like Pat Burrell creams the Mets ... some guys just have a certain teams number, RIDICULOUSLY!!!!!, and that appears to be the case with Matsui and the Red Sox

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 13 2004, 10:19 AM
    I can certainly understand why Matsui is the last guy anyone from RSN wants to see up in a big spot ... he wears out Red Sox pitching

I saw his numbers verses the Red Sox last nite, and while I cannot recall the exact numbers, they were flatout obscene ... OFF THE CHARTS ... OBSCENE!!

I'm talking AVERAGE, POWER, RBI's, SLG%, you name it ... the guy just wears out Red Sox pitching ... and not just the back end of their rotation and bullpen, the man creams Curt Schilling and while he got off to a slow start verses Pedro, he even started getting BIG HITS off of him as of late as well

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a good hitter verses everyone, but he especially kills Red Sox pitching ... sorta like George Brett did to the Yankees back in the day, or like Pat Burrell creams the Mets ... some guys just have a certain teams number, RIDICULOUSLY!!!!!, and that appears to be the case with Matsui and the Red Sox
    Can't argue with you. I saw something last night on the screen about his numbers vs. the Bosox and they were eye-popping.

But the MVP for 2004 was Sheff or Mo. Sheff got every clutch hit he was asked to supply, and Mo kept the 'pen in 1 piece.

Originally posted by thechadzone10@Oct 13 2004, 10:04 AM
    My two mvp's in the game tonight had to be matsui and mariano. Matsui was just clutch all game long and after what happend to mariano , for him to come back and shut down the sox is just amazing .
    My MVP for tonight was Moose. He was asked to shut down the Bosox, and he was perfect into the 7th. Can't ask for more.

Matsui got big hits, but his fielding cost us by Ortiz, and maybe Millar's double. The 1 pitch that really burns me was Sturtze's 0-2 fastball to Varitek. Right down the alley.