Thread: Mariano Rivera

Just in case you didn't get to hear Mo last night...

"The most difficult part of my day was leaving my family, knowing they were still in pain. It was tough, coming on that plane alone. I was thinking. There's just tears coming out of my eyes."

"I talked to my wife and I talked to the family that I needed to be here. Believe me, I wanted to stay home and stay with my family, but I have a job to do and I have 24 players who were waiting for me and a manager."

"And I came here and my teammates and the fans, they treated me like a king and I appreciated that. That meant so much to me."

Mo will always be a king to Yankee fans!

Hall Of Fame
    Mo is the man . Such a great comments for a remarkable player . It takes alot to have the courage to leave your family to play in a game that night.

I was a liitle ticked off at the FOX production of the game last night, especially when it came to Rivera.

Commercial upon commercial....and then there's the promo's for FOX's upcoming garbage sitcoms, etc.

It's because of all that crap that they didnt show Rivera come out of the pen. Dont you think that would have been a memorable moment?...Rivera coming out of the pen, and the fans giving him the ovation he deserved.

Producers missed a big oppurtunity, IMO.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Oct 13 2004, 03:20 PM
    I was a liitle ticked off at the FOX production of the game last night, especially when it came to Rivera.

Commercial upon commercial....and then there's the promo's for FOX's upcoming garbage sitcoms, etc.

It's because of all that crap that they didnt show Rivera come out of the pen. Dont you think that would have been a memorable moment?...Rivera coming out of the pen, and the fans giving him the ovation he deserved.

Dude if they did that how would any of us know when My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss was going to air?

Think about it.

Originally posted by Maxman+Oct 13 2004, 02:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Oct 13 2004, 02:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shadetree@Oct 13 2004, 03:20 PM

Commercial upon commercial....and then there&#39;s the promo&#39;s for FOX&#39;s upcoming garbage sitcoms, etc.

It&#39;s because of all that crap that they didnt show Rivera come out of the pen. Dont you think that would have been a memorable moment?...Rivera coming out of the pen, and the fans giving him the ovation he deserved.

Dude if they did that how would any of us know when My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss was going to air?

Think about it. [/b][/quote]
    You&#39;re right. My bad.

:lol:

Originally posted by Shadetree@Oct 13 2004, 01:20 PM

Commercial upon commercial....and then there&#39;s the promo&#39;s for FOX&#39;s upcoming garbage sitcoms, etc.

It&#39;s because of all that crap that they didnt show Rivera come out of the pen. Dont you think that would have been a memorable moment?...Rivera coming out of the pen, and the fans giving him the ovation he deserved.

Your point is well taken. This was an onvious one. Hey, the guy got a standing ovation when Bob Sheppard announced during the pre-game introductions that he was "enroute to the Stadium".

Fox messed up.

They are blowing this way out of proportion, Jaque Jones buried his father and it got less attention.

Typical Yank-Jazzera

Originally posted by ShadeTree#55@Oct 13 2004, 01:49 PM
    They are blowing this way out of proportion, Jaque Jones buried his father and it got less attention.

Typical Yank-Jazzera
    Typical jealous Mets fan.

Hey, your season is just starting. Look at all the ink in the papers about the search for a new manager (again).

Hall Of Fame
    Yea and the articles about the Mets hiring a new manager is a small little section on the very last page on the bottom&#33; When they do hire a Manager its not even going to get close to front page headlines.

So losing some cousin, one of about however many is comparable to losing your father?

Only in self centerd Yank-Me land.

Originally posted by ShadeTree#55@Oct 13 2004, 02:00 PM
    So losing some cousin, one of about however many is comparable to losing your father?

Only in self centerd Yank-Me land.
    SOme people are closer to certain members of their families than others are to members of their families. Has nothing to do with what&#39;s going on here.

For the record, there was a blurb in the St. Paul paper last week about the reception that Jones received from his teammates when he joined them before Game 1 last week.

Originally posted by mbn007+Oct 13 2004, 02:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Oct 13 2004, 02:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ShadeTree#55@Oct 13 2004, 01:49 PM

Typical Yank-Jazzera

Hey, your season is just starting. Look at all the ink in the papers about the search for a new manager (again). [/b][/quote]
    Jacques Jones is NOT Mariano Rivera. How did Jones&#39; father die? Was he a 14 year old that died alongside his father via an electric current?

I dont know how Jones&#39; father died, but I doubt it was as tragic as Mo&#39;s situation. I get your point though.

MBN...I&#39;m a Mets fan, too(come to think of it, that may explain my pessimism) ...so take it easy on us.

But he wasn&#39;t made into some sort of a hero, like the Yank-jazzera NY media.

Gimme a break, it was a tragic event, but he is no better than tons of other players who endure worsr losses and still play.

Like Brett Farve for example.

Originally posted by Shadetree+Oct 13 2004, 02:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadetree @ Oct 13 2004, 02:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 13 2004, 02:55 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-ShadeTree#55
    @Oct 13 2004, 01:49 PM

Typical Yank-Jazzera

Hey, your season is just starting. Look at all the ink in the papers about the search for a new manager (again).
    Jacques Jones is NOT Mariano Rivera. How did Jones&#39; father die? Was he a 14 year old that died alongside his father via an electric current?

I dont know how Jones&#39; father died, but I doubt it was as tragic as Mo&#39;s situation. I get your point though.

MBN...I&#39;m a Mets fan, too(come to think of it, that may explain my pessimism) ...so take it easy on us. [/b][/quote]
    I feel for you guys. The problem starts with the ownership. If they get rid of the Wilpon kid, and let Omar bring in his own guys, and run the whole show, I guarantee that you will contend in 3 seasons, if not sooner. That guy understands players, and has an amazing eye for talent.

Originally posted by ShadeTree#55@Oct 13 2004, 03:08 PM
    Gimme a break, it was a tragic event, but he is no better than tons of other players who endure worsr losses and still play.

Oh jeez...everybody loves Brett Favre.

You&#39;re Peter King from Sports Illustrated, aren&#39;t you? I knew it. I should have known way back when, when you said Bill Belicheck was not only a genius, but ruggedly handsome as well.

Originally posted by ShadeTree#55@Oct 13 2004, 02:08 PM
    But he wasn&#39;t made into some sort of a hero, like the Yank-jazzera NY media.

In the Minny papers, he certainly was. We don&#39;t see that here, but this happens all the time with players who lose family members.

But flying in from Panama, some 2200 miles away, to arrive for a NY-Bosox playoff game, which is a TV companys dream (i.e., ratings) helps these things get played up more then it would if he arrived for a Yankee-Royals game in July.

Hall Of Fame
    Mariano could of been closer to his cousin you dont know that . Jaque Jones just got back to speaking terms with his father recently . Im not saying Marianos loss is bigger , of course its not but still a loss is a loss you have to feel bad no matter what it is . They recongized Jones loss but it was probaley big in the Minnoesta Newspapers then it was in New York . Also its the star status. Jones is a not a big name player but sure as hell can hit the ball , when Mo retires he will be recongized as one of the greatest closers of all time and is a hall of famer.

Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 13 2004, 03:12 PM

I feel for you guys. The problem starts with the ownership. If they get rid of the Wilpon kid, and let Omar bring in his own guys, and run the whole show, I guarantee that you will contend in 3 seasons, if not sooner. That guy understands players, and has an amazing eye for talent.
    3 years??....I&#39;ll take that.

BTW, I&#39;m not your typical &#39;Yankee bashing&#39; Mets fan. I&#39;d like to see them spank the Sox. Pain and misery for New Englanders is always a nice bonus for a Jets fan. Plus my old man is a die hard Yankee fan. He grew up in the Bronx....."When growing up in the city was special." - i&#39;ve heard that quote everytime I watch a Yankee game with him.

Good Luck bashing the Red Sox.

Originally posted by Shadetree+Oct 13 2004, 02:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadetree @ Oct 13 2004, 02:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mbn007@Oct 13 2004, 03:12 PM

3 years??....I&#39;ll take that.

BTW, I&#39;m not your typical &#39;Yankee bashing&#39; Mets fan. I&#39;d like to see them spank the Sox. Pain and misery for New Englanders is always a nice bonus for a Jets fan. Plus my old man is a die hard Yankee fan. He grew up in the Bronx....."When growing up in the city was special." - i&#39;ve heard that quote everytime I watch a Yankee game with him.

Good Luck bashing the Red Sox. [/b][/quote]
    If ownership let&#39;s Omar run the whole show, he will jettison the old and slow and bring up the kids, make decent trades, and sign a free agent who can help, not just to get some ink in the papers. He had a cash poor Expo franchise in the running 2 years ago, and that was after 10 years of losing all their stars.

3 years. He has the ability to do it. Not saying you&#39;ll win it all, but you will be serious contenders. Real serious contenders.

So Vlad wasn&#39;t a star? Wow.