Thread: Lottery Winner Shot By Police

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    SEATTLE - A man shot to death by police outside a football stadium has been identified by his family as one of the winners of an $87 million lottery jackpot.

Rick Camat, 32, was shot early Sunday as dozens of people fled to avoid a fight outside a bar before a St. Louis Rams-Seattle Seahawks game.

Police alleged that Camat was carrying a handgun and fired at a car that was leaving the area. Authorities said he crouched behind another vehicle and pointed a handgun at officers.

Relatives insisted Camat only fired into the air to break up the fight and said officers never issued a warning before shooting him.

“He shot once in the air to scare people away. He didn’t aim it at anyone,” said Camat’s brother, Brian, who was with him at the time.

Officer Debra Brown said the family’s account “differs vastly from the statements of dozens of witnesses who were at the scene that evening.”
    The officer who fired at Camat remains on paid administrative leave. An internal police review and a court inquest are planned.

Camat was one of 13 Starbucks employees in Los Angeles who shared an $87 million California lottery jackpot in 2000.

He recently bought a house in Federal Way, a suburb between Seattle and Tacoma, relatives said. He previously used his share of the lottery winnings to buy a house for his mother and cars for his siblings.

Not sure about you guys, but I would've had a bar constructed in my mansion before I'd be hanging out at the local watering hole.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm already enjoying the family's twist on the facts.

The bad guy is always the innocent one when it comes to a polcie shooting in the media.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel bad for the cops getting this bad press. Every time they actually do some work, the media jumps all over them. No wonder they prefer to hang out at 7-11 :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Oct 13 2004, 08:54 PM
    [b] I'm already enjoying the family's twist on the facts.

The bad guy is always the innocent one when it comes to a polcie shooting in the media. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly. Who the hell would break up a fight by shooting a pistol in the air?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Buzzsaw+Oct 13 2004, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Buzzsaw @ Oct 13 2004, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Oct 13 2004, 08:54 PM
    [b] I&#39;m already enjoying the family&#39;s twist on the facts.

The bad guy is always the innocent one when it comes to a polcie shooting in the media. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly. Who the hell would break up a fight by shooting a pistol in the air? [/b][/quote]
    If you have that much money, what the hell are you doing running around playing gangbanger at a football game. I&#39;d be too busy in my suite.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    he broke the law, and suffered the unfortunate consequences

boo hoo

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tough break, firing a gun in public is stupid, let alone if you just became rich

TomShane
    Listen, if the police f*cking SHOOT you, there is a HIGH PROBABILITY that you deserved it. If the police have to draw their weapon on you, you have, without a doubt, done something so f*cking stupid that, seriously, you should just drop to the ground and pray that they don&#39;t break your head open like a cantaloupe with their night-stick.

I&#39;m saying this as a guy who has had the plice pull their gun on him, not once, but twice, and each time I deserved it. I freaking HATE when I see cops getting run through the grinder in the media over a shooting.

The moral of the story is this: Do NOT f*ck with the police. They are putting their lives in danger every time they pick up that badge to protect your useless ass. Can they be dicks? Yes. Do they cross the line? Absolutely. Just respect the position, if not the man, and everything is OK. If they are kicking your ass, it is because you have made their job considerably more difficult by being a stupid-ass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Oct 13 2004, 11:58 PM
    [b] Listen, if the police f*cking SHOOT you, there is a HIGH PROBABILITY that you deserved it. If the police have to draw their weapon on you, you have, without a doubt, done something so f*cking stupid that, seriously, you should just drop to the ground and pray that they don&#39;t break your head open like a cantaloupe with their night-stick.

I&#39;m saying this as a guy who has had the plice pull their gun on him, not once, but twice, and each time I deserved it. I freaking HATE when I see cops getting run through the grinder in the media over a shooting.

The moral of the story is this: Do NOT f*ck with the police. They are putting their lives in danger every time they pick up that badge to protect your useless ass. Can they be dicks? Yes. Do they cross the line? Absolutely. Just respect the position, if not the man, and everything is OK. If they are kicking your ass, it is because you have made their job considerably more difficult by being a stupid-ass. [/b][/quote]
    TS, You&#39;re a hell of a guy. You can be my wingman anytime.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess in the future seattle is a place i`ll cross off my roadtrip list....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm..I guess his luck ran out..Shooting in the Air to break up a
    fight?? Must have watched to many old westerns.. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Oct 13 2004, 09:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria &#064; Oct 13 2004, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>[quote]Originally posted by Buzzsaw@Oct 13 2004, 08:59 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Oct 13 2004, 08:54 PM
    [b] I&#39;m already enjoying the family&#39;s twist on the facts.

Exactly. Who the hell would break up a fight by shooting a pistol in the air? [/b][/quote]
    If you have that much money, what the hell are you doing running around playing gangbanger at a football game. I&#39;d be too busy in my suite.[/b][/quote]
    Bingo. This post gets the prize.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    a) Why are you carrying a gun?
    B) I am not the biggest COP fan, my best friend is one here in NYC, and the stuff he tells me sometimes is just ridiculous, however, he has told me this time and again. COPS HATE to Draw their guns, the paper work, and investigation into EVERY time you pull it out, isn&#39;t worth it.

So in my oppinion, if they draw it is 95% of the time Justified.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK have to get the rules straight here. We can&#39;t make fun of a druggie baseball player that has a heart attack but we can make fun of some dumb ass that won the lottery and gets shot. Got it. Where are all of the pleas for repect to him and his family?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you say

"CLICK mentality"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could this be a preview as to what may happen if bar-hopping is introduced as a pregame ritual here in New York City?

BTW...This is just the latest example of why people shouldn&#39;t carry handguns.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Oct 13 2004, 11:58 PM
    [b] Listen, if the police f*cking SHOOT you, there is a HIGH PROBABILITY that you deserved it. If the police have to draw their weapon on you, you have, without a doubt, done something so f*cking stupid that, seriously, you should just drop to the ground and pray that they don&#39;t break your head open like a cantaloupe with their night-stick.

The moral of the story is this: Do NOT f*ck with the police. They are putting their lives in danger every time they pick up that badge to protect your useless ass. Can they be dicks? Yes. Do they cross the line? Absolutely. Just respect the position, if not the man, and everything is OK. If they are kicking your ass, it is because you have made their job considerably more difficult by being a stupid-ass. [/b][/quote]
    Great Post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My god, I never thought Seattle had this much love for violence. Every day right before I&#39;m supposed to do work :) , i read the news and so far I have seen an article of a Sailor getting beaten up by 3 guys at the game, people fighting in the stands and throwing stuff @ the rams players and now some idiot thinking he is Tony Soprano.

And people think boston is bad...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Trades[/i]@Oct 14 2004, 09:46 AM
    [b] OK have to get the rules straight here. We can&#39;t make fun of a druggie baseball player that has a heart attack but we can make fun of some dumb ass that won the lottery and gets shot. Got it. Where are all of the pleas for repect to him and his family? [/b][/quote]
    Screw him and his family, Would the police officer get pleas and support from his family if he was the one shot??? Hell no, they would still be trying to flip this thing. If you have a gun and you are putting people in danger and pointing it in the police direction, you should be shot. Period............

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here&#39;s a different account from a Seattle newspaper

Clues sought in gunman&#39;s firing at crowd

By HECTOR CASTRO
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Seattle police detectives are still trying to determine the target of a gunman who opened fire on a crowd early Sunday before he was shot dead by police.

The shooting happened just before 2 a.m. in the north parking lot of Qwest Field near Pioneer Square.

The King County Medical Examiner&#39;s Office has yet to confirm the identity of the man killed and did not release his name yesterday. Police described him as in his 20s or early 30s.

Detective Debbie Brown said officers were in the Pioneer Square area handling revelers exiting from closing bars when three of them noticed a disturbance in the Qwest Field parking lot near the South King Street entrance.

The officers saw what appeared to be a fight in progress, Brown said, and then saw a man pull a gun and shoot at least once. Crowds of people panicked, with several jumping into their vehicles and speeding away.

The officers confronted the armed man, one of them less than a car length from him, Brown said.

"They had no cover," she said.

The officers ordered the man to drop his gun several times. Instead, he allegedly turned to face the officers, still brandishing the weapon.

One of the officers fired, shooting and killing the man, who was shot more than once. He was declared dead at the scene. Detectives recovered from the scene a Sig Sauer 9mm semiautomatic handgun.

The 42-year-old officer who fired his gun has not been involved in any previous shootings, officials said. He is a 12-year veteran assigned to the West Precinct. Officials did not release his name yesterday.

The officer was placed on paid leave pending a police review.