Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GREATEST CLOSER WHO EVER LIVED

Mariano Rivera

All Pro
    I HEART MO

Hall Of Fame
    Theres no doubt in my mind ! Mo is the greatest!

This man has been the MVY {Most Valuable Yankee} for the past decade ... throughout this entire run

Trust me fellas, you put this man on the Braves or even the RED SOX and this past decade is a far different story

I said that before the series started ...

If you wanna know what the mystique of the Yankees is really all about, he's wearing #42

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Mariano is the greatest of all time. One of the top 5 Yankees in history.

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Oct 13 2004, 11:56 PM
    TOTALLY AGREE ... 100%

IMO it would be a crime to give this man a plaque in monument park when his career is over ... a crime

HE GETS A MONUMENT ... RIGHT ALONG SIDE RUTH, GEHRIG, MANTLE, AND DIMAGGIO

Anything else is a travesty

Hall Of Fame
    Pointless thread, it has been stated before.

Banned
    Paging Dennis Eckersley: "If you had played for the Yankees, you'd have been glorified as the greatest of all-time. You too, Nomar."

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 13 2004, 10:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 13 2004, 10:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-YoungJetsFan@Oct 13 2004, 11:56 PM
    TOTALLY AGREE ... 100%

IMO it would be a crime to give this man a plaque in monument park when his career is over ... a crime

HE GETS A MONUMENT ... RIGHT ALONG SIDE RUTH, GEHRIG, MANTLE, AND DIMAGGIO

Anything else is a travesty [/b][/quote]
    Hopefully we have a long time to wait to see if they give him a monument b/c they don&#39;t give those out until they die.

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Oct 13 2004, 09:56 PM
    Most definitely. Ruth, Gehrig, Dimag, Mantle and Mo.

Everyone else is on the next level. This is not a knock on guys like Henrich, Keller, Dickey, et al, but these 5 are the aces.

Originally posted by mbn007+Oct 14 2004, 06:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Oct 14 2004, 06:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-YoungJetsFan@Oct 13 2004, 09:56 PM
    Most definitely. Ruth, Gehrig, Dimag, Mantle and Mo.

Everyone else is on the next level. This is not a knock on guys like Henrich, Keller, Dickey, et al, but these 5 are the aces. [/b][/quote]
    Well said, mbn ... Mariano is one of the immortals

The Yankees have had many great players, HOF players, but only five immortals

RUTH ~ GEHRIG ~ DIMAGGIO ~ MANTLE ~ and MO

I realized lat night while he was facing Ortiz that most Yankee fans (me included) have come to take this guy for granted. No stopper I can think of was ever this dominant, for this long, with ONE PITCH in so many big games. He&#39;s the best ever at what he does.

Eck was DOMINANT for six seasons and above average for five or six

Mo has been DOMINANT for eight seasons and counting

Originally posted by AirForceJetFan@Oct 14 2004, 07:12 AM
    I realized lat night while he was facing Ortiz that most Yankee fans (me included) have come to take this guy for granted. No stopper I can think of was ever this dominant, for this long, with ONE PITCH in so many big games. He&#39;s the best ever at what he does.

Actually Air, Mo has been a dominant RP for 10 seasons and counting

If you ever get a chance to go back and look at that 95 ALDS verses Seattle which the Yankees lost in 5 Games, you will notice that everytime Showalter brought Mariano into the game he proceeded to blow the Mariners away ... and I&#39;m talkin Griffey, Arod, Edgar, Buhner, Tino, THE HEART OF THEIR ORDER ... Mariano was the only relief pitcher we had who was consistantly blowing them away

IMO Buck Showalter&#39;s biggest mistake in that series was not fully recognizing Mariano&#39;s brilliance/dominance

If you recall, Showalter left Cone in the game after he had thrown close to 140 pitches ... that allowed the Mariners to tie Game 5 ... then he called on Rivera and Mariano proceeded to blow the Mariners away for a few more innings again, as he had already done two or three times in that series

If Showalter calls Mariano in the 9th when the Yankees had a comfortable lead, the Yankees win that series and move on to the ALCS ... instead he left a totally spent David Cone out there to surrender the lead ... all because he didn&#39;t believe his own eyes ... he had seen Mariano BLOW THE MARINERS AWAY in that series more than once, but he didn&#39;t believe his own eyes when it came time to closeout GAME 5

Again, he went to Mariano after Cone blew the lead and I believe Rivera pitched two innings of no-hit ball, striking out like 5 {or all 6?} of the hitters he faced ... and he went through the meat of that order

That was really Rivera&#39;s coming out party ... after he was called up in 95, he was pretty much blowing hitters away ... then he did the same to Seattle in the ALDS

So IMO he&#39;s been a dominant RP for 10 years ... 95 and 96 as a Setup man ... 97-2004 as a Closer

PS. With all due respect to Wetteland, I thought Mariano was the real MVP of the 96 Post Season as a Setup man ... he often pitched the 7th & 8th while Wetteland pitched the 9th ... and Rivera rarely even surrendered a hit

That was what Torre called "THE FORMULA" ... Mariano in the 7th & 8th and Wetteland in the 9th ... in 96 if the Yankees had a lead after 6 innings it was IN THE BAG, and that&#39;s cause Mariano was unhittable

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 14 2004, 06:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 14 2004, 06:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AirForceJetFan@Oct 14 2004, 07:12 AM

Actually Air, Mo has been a dominant RP for 10 seasons and counting

If you ever get a chance to go back and look at that 95 ALDS verses Seattle which the Yankees lost in 5 Games, you will notice that everytime Showalter brought Mariano into the game he proceeded to blow the Mariners away ... and I&#39;m talkin Griffey, Arod, Edgar, Buhner, Tino, THE HEART OF THEIR ORDER ... Mariano was the only relief pitcher we had who was consistantly blowing them away

IMO Buck Showalter&#39;s biggest mistake in that series was not fully recognizing Mariano&#39;s brilliance/dominance

If you recall, Showalter left Cone in the game after he had thrown close to 140 pitches ... that allowed the Mariners to tie Game 5 ... then he called on Rivera and Mariano proceeded to blow the Mariners away for a few more innings again, as he had already done two or three times in that series

If Showalter calls Mariano in the 9th when the Yankees had a comfortable lead, the Yankees win that series and move on to the ALCS ... instead he left a totally spent David Cone out there to surrender the lead ... all because he didn&#39;t believe his own eyes ... he had seen Mariano BLOW THE MARINERS AWAY in that series more than once, but he didn&#39;t believe his own eyes when it came time to closeout GAME 5

Again, he went to Mariano after Cone blew the lead and I believe Rivera pitched two innings of no-hit ball, striking out like 5 {or all 6?} of the hitters he faced ... and he went through the meat of that order

That was really Rivera&#39;s coming out party ... after he was called up in 95, he was pretty much blowing hitters away ... then he did the same to Seattle in the ALDS

So IMO he&#39;s been a dominant RP for 10 years ... 95 and 96 as a Setup man ... 97-2004 as a Closer

PS. With all due respect to Wetteland, I thought Mariano was the real MVP of the 96 Post Season as a Setup man ... he often pitched the 7th & 8th while Wetteland pitched the 9th ... and Rivera rarely even surrendered a hit

That was what Torre called "THE FORMULA" ... Mariano in the 7th & 8th and Wetteland in the 9th ... in 96 if the Yankees had a lead after 6 innings it was IN THE BAG, and that&#39;s cause Mariano was unhittable [/b][/quote]
    I know exactly what you&#39;re saying ham. Your post is 100% correct but I was making the point as a stopper. Thats whats going to get him in the HOF and obviously more of a pressure cooker situation. I was going to include his previous seasons in my comment but since the argument was greatest closer ever, I only used the years he was a closer. But yes, he has been a dominant RP for even longer.

GJ&H;

In 1996, Wettland often said that Mo was the main reason he was so successful. Wettland never had to pitch more than an inning, and he always started the inning, so no one was on base, which would hurt him, as he had a big windup.

In 1996, the opposition knew that they better be winning after 6, otherwise the game was over.

BTW - Torre said that he knew Mo could be a great closer after watching the 1995 playoffs. He could not believe the seemingly ease that Mo put the mariners away with.

Also, I believe that Mo is Louisville Slugger&#39;s spokesman. He has broken more bats in the past 10 years then anyone who ever pitched did in their lifetime.

Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 14 2004, 06:59 AM
    GJ&H;

In 1996, Wettland often said that Mo was the main reason he was so successful. Wettland never had to pitch more than an inning, and he always started the inning, so no one was on base, which would hurt him, as he had a big windup.

In 1996, the opposition knew that they better be winning after 6, otherwise the game was over.

BTW - Torre said that he knew Mo could be a great closer after watching the 1995 playoffs. He could not believe the seemingly ease that Mo put the mariners away with.
    Joe said in his book that when he took over at the helm for the Yanks that he was in favor of trading Mo but after using "the formula" a couple of times before he had even named it, he realized he had something special and not to mess with it.

Originally posted by AirForceJetFan@Oct 14 2004, 06:01 AM
    Joe said in his book that when he took over at the helm for the Yanks that he was in favor of trading Mo but after using "the formula" a couple of times before he had even named it, he realized he had something special and not to mess with it.
    I know he wrote that, but he was on a pre-game show early in 1996, and sid that Riveria will be the gate to Wetland this season (1996) but that someday he would be a dominant closer because he threw an incredible fastball, and threw it with such ease and precision (location).

I think Joe knew that Wettland was a free agent, and was preparing for the day Mo would take over.

Originally posted by mbn007+Oct 14 2004, 07:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Oct 14 2004, 07:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AirForceJetFan@Oct 14 2004, 06:01 AM
    I know he wrote that, but he was on a pre-game show early in 1996, and sid that Riveria will be the gate to Wetland this season (1996) but that someday he would be a dominant closer because he threw an incredible fastball, and threw it with such ease and precision (location).

I think Joe knew that Wettland was a free agent, and was preparing for the day Mo would take over. [/b][/quote]
    Either way, thats all history now and things have worked out quite well for Joe, Mo, and us Yankee fans

<-----just had to do it

flushingjet
    melt mattinglys down and put up 1 for oneill while youre at it