Thread: Stem Cell research

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [url=http://www.family.org/fofmag/sl/a0024064.cfm]http://www.family.org/fofmag/sl/a0024064.cfm[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will pray to the Lord Almighty his creator on earth and the seven seas that he will outlaw stem cell research and stop the vile scientists from pushing their commie agenda...PRAISE THE LORD!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :lol: good thing there's religion otherwise there would be alot more crackheads out there!

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 11:20 AM
    [b] :lol: good thing there's religion otherwise there would be alot more crackheads out there! [/b][/quote]
    I have faith in the unknown- a supreme being; a creator of the universe. You have faith in the unknown, too- A Kerry/Edwards administration. :lol:

And you mock me?

Getting back to embryonic stem cell research...

There is no federal regulation impeding private research. If we are so close to finding a cure for paralysis, don't you think private investors would be dumping money into research labs?

I mean, can you imagine the windfall from that?

Edwards said when he and Kerry get in, people in wheelchairs are gonna walk. :lol:

Just curious, whats stopping them now from performing this miraculous feat? All that money the Tides Foundation sends to suicide bombers in the West Bank, it could be finding a cure for paralysis.

I await your answers, Bit. Entertain us all with your intellectual dishonesty.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    An Edwards Outrage

By Charles Krauthammer

Friday, October 15, 2004; Page A23

After the second presidential debate, in which John Kerry used the word "plan" 24 times, I said on television that Kerry has a plan for everything except curing psoriasis. I should have known there is no parodying Kerry's pandering. It turned out days later that the Kerry campaign has a plan -- nay, a promise -- to cure paralysis. What is the plan? Vote for Kerry.

This is John Edwards on Monday at a rally in Newton, Iowa: "If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."

In my 25 years in Washington, I have never seen a more loathsome display of demagoguery. Hope is good. False hope is bad. Deliberately, for personal gain, raising false hope in the catastrophically afflicted is despicable.

Where does one begin to deconstruct this outrage?

First, the inability of the human spinal cord to regenerate is one of the great mysteries of biology. The answer is not remotely around the corner. It could take a generation to unravel. To imply, as Edwards did, that it is imminent if only you elect the right politicians is scandalous.

Second, if the cure for spinal cord injury comes, we have no idea where it will come from. There are many lines of inquiry. Stem cell research is just one of many possibilities, and a very speculative one at that. For 30 years I have heard promises of miracle cures for paralysis ([i]including my own[/i], suffered as a medical student). The last fad, fetal tissue transplants, was thought to be a sure thing. Nothing came of it.

As a doctor by training, I've known better than to believe the hype -- and have tried in my own counseling of people with new spinal cord injuries to place the possibility of cure in abeyance. I advise instead to concentrate on making a life (and a very good life it can be) with the hand one is dealt. The greatest enemies of this advice have been the snake-oil salesmen promising a miracle around the corner. I never expected a candidate for vice president to be one of them.

Third, the implication that Christopher Reeve was prevented from getting out of his wheelchair by the Bush stem cell policies is a travesty.

George Bush is the first president to approve federal funding for stem cell research. There are 22 lines of stem cells now available, up from one just two years ago. As Leon Kass, head of the President's Council on Bioethics, has written, there are 3,500 shipments of stem cells waiting for anybody who wants them.

Edwards and Kerry constantly talk of a Bush "ban" on stem cell research. This is false. There is no ban. You want to study stem cells? You get them from the companies that have the cells and apply to the National Institutes of Health for the federal funding.

In his Aug. 7 radio address to the nation, Kerry referred not once but four times to the "ban" on stem cell research instituted by Bush. At the time, Reeve was alive, so not available for posthumous exploitation. But Ronald Reagan was available, having recently died of Alzheimer's.

So what does Kerry do? He begins his radio address with the disgraceful claim that the stem cell "ban" is standing in the way of an Alzheimer's cure.

This is an outright lie. The President's Council on Bioethics, on which I sit, had one of the world's foremost experts on Alzheimer's, Dennis Selkoe from Harvard, give us a lecture on the newest and most promising approaches to solving the Alzheimer's mystery. Selkoe reported remarkable progress in using biochemicals to clear the "plaque" deposits in the brain that lead to Alzheimer's. He ended his presentation without the phrase "stem cells" having passed his lips.

So much for the miracle cure. Ronald D.G. McKay, a stem cell researcher at NIH, has admitted publicly that stem cells as an Alzheimer's cure are a fiction, but that "people need a fairy tale." Kerry and Edwards certainly do. They are shamelessly exploiting this fairy tale, having no doubt been told by their pollsters that stem cells play well politically for them.

Politicians have long promised a chicken in every pot. It is part of the game. It is one thing to promise ethanol subsidies here, dairy price controls there. But to exploit the desperate hopes of desperate people with the promise of Christ-like cures is beyond the pale.

There is no apologizing for Edwards's remark. It is too revealing. There is absolutely nothing the man will not say to get elected.

[email]letters@charleskrauthammer.com[/email]

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 08:05 AM
    [b]

Politicians have long promised a chicken in every pot. It is part of the game. It is one thing to promise ethanol subsidies here, dairy price controls there. But to exploit the desperate hopes of desperate people with the promise of Christ-like cures is beyond the pale.

[/b][/quote]
    It truly is despicable.

But alas, the people that are gonna vote for Kerry think Michael Moore's a neat guy.

The way I see it, if there is that many people in America who would put two creeps like John Kerry and John Edwards in the White House, then we deserve everything that we'll have coming.

I have the words of a man I met 14 years ago to console me...

I was part of working for a municipal public works department; We were cutting grass in a local park. While on our break, and old man on his daily walk, happened by. He began to berate us, as lazy and sleeping on the job. "Iz this how my tax dollars are spent?" But he was doing it in a friendly, ribbing way. So we joined in on the joke, and began to make fun the situation. Anyway, this guy had a noticible accent, possibly German, so my friend Norm starts doing the stereotype of the Nazi officer with the swizzle stick and the cigarette in the cigarette holder deal. We're all rolling, and the old guy- his name was Gregory- told us he wasn't German, he was Romanian. Anyway, to make a long story short, this man began talking about politics and in his lecture, he gave me these pearls of wisdom:

"I lived under the King of Romania. I lived under Hitler. I lived under Stalin. And now I live under a President of the USA. Vot do zey do for me? Nuzzing. All politicians take."

He said a bullet would be too good for people that run governments. "take a rope, and hang zem."

I guess what it boils down too, is government is a neccassary evil. It's a process of elimination. Not much on the menu. But do you want to eat a leather shoe with cheese on it, or a cheeseburger and fries?

Because that's the difference between Kerry and Bush. Bush aint filet mignon, but he's not chopped liver, either.

Kerry is unpalatable. He's erstatz food. He's sawdust and burnt rubber on toast. John Kerry is VOMIT.

The only people voting for Kerry fall into one of these 2 catergories:

1. They are hacks. They vote for anybody with a D in front of their name. They'd vote for Bozo the Clown if thats who their party nominated.

2. They are retarded.

Thats it. Really. I can't see how people can think that our national security is that big a joke, that they would even considering putting this man and his potential administration in charge of it. And the rationale is mind boggling: [i]Like, Dude, Bush is against stem cell research[/i] or [i]the patriot act like, violates my constition and what not[/i].

Like I said, if we are that dumb, then we deserve to be exterminated. We shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Good day, sir. [b]I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR.[/b]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only people who believe that government can solve every problem are delusional. Look, government can and has to do some things-provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, etc. We have to have a military, police, fire, roads and bridges, garbage collection, schools, licensing(not sure DMV is on the ball), borders(not too good either). But every time you go beyond those basic things, it makes a mess. "The War on Poverty" was money down a sinkhole. Soemone brought up Section 8 housing-another well-intentioned boondoggle. Ethanol and agrcicultural subsidies-corporate ripoffs. Think about-spent a day at DMV? And this is kind of bloated bureacucracy you think can comparably address health care or anything else?

But Kerry has taken his promises to a new level that's dangerously laughable. And some simple-minded folks believe it.

[url=http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Protected/Articles/000/000/004/791whmom.asp]http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Prot...04/791whmom.asp[/url]

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Oct 17 2004, 08:42 AM
    [b]

But Kerry has taken his promises to a new level that's dangerously laughable. And some simple-minded folks believe it.

[url=http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Protected/Articles/000/000/004/791whmom.asp]http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Prot...04/791whmom.asp[/url] [/b][/quote]
    I look at it, this way. We can all agree that car salesmen are scumbags. They will try and screw you every which way but loose.

But sooner or later, you're gonna have to deal with one. So you try and narrow it down to the guy who's gonna screw you the least.

Politicians are like car dealers.

The choice between Kerry and Bush isn't even close. Kerry is a friggin' [i]used[/i] car salesman. That's how low he is.

John Kerry is pond scum.

Bugg, the link didn't work. Can you cut and paste the article please? I don't have a subscription. thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't work. Sorry. general idea-a Times headline how Kerry will solve toe fungus, tooth decay and assorted other maladies.