Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerry taking heat for Low Blow at the Debate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/242579p-207854c.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/242...9p-207854c.html[/url]
    Cheneys to Kerry:
    Now it's personal

Veep vexed over Dem's lesbian 'trick'

BY THOMAS M. DEFRANK
    in Tempe, Ariz.,
    and CELESTE KATZ
    in New York
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Mary Cheney (r.), talking with Laura Bush chief of staff Andi Wall in 2000, is in middle of political storm after Sen. John Kerry referred to veep daughter’s sexuality in final debate.

Sen. John Kerry's remark about Vice President Cheney's lesbian daughter during the final debate has erupted into a major political storm, with the veep calling himself an "angry father" and Kerry trying to back away from the furor.
    "You saw a man who will do and say anything to get elected," the vice president said yesterday at a Florida rally. "And I am not just speaking as a father here, although I am a pretty Angry father."

When asked Wednesday night whether they thought homosexuality was a choice, President Bush said he was unsure but Kerry said: "We're all God's children. And I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was."

Mary Cheney, 35, is openly gay and runs operations in the vice president's campaign office.

At a post-debate event Wednesday night, the veep's wife, Lynne Cheney, spoke cuttingly about Kerry's reference: "This is not a good man," she said. "What a cheap and tawdry political trick."

While Mary Cheney declined comment and Kerry late yesterday tried to make nice, the wife of vice presidential hopeful John Edwards hardly played peacemaker, accusing Lynne Cheney of being ashamed of her daughter.

"She's overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs," Elizabeth Edwards told ABC News Radio yesterday. And then she poured some more salt: "I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences."

Cheney's camp had no immediate response to Edwards but Kerry tried to ease the tension by issuing what amounted to a clarification - but not an apology.

"I love my daughters. They love their daughter," the Democrat said. "I was trying to say something positive about the way strong families deal with the issue."

The Republicans see it differently. After all, John Edwards raised it unilaterally in the vice presidential debate, much to the irritation of the veep, who thanked Edwards for his remarks but was, in fact, ripped about them.

"People understand the invasion of privacy of a family," a top Bush campaign adviser said. "They are going to pay a price for this."

There's little argument that the gambit of making Mary Cheney's lifestyle a high-visibility issue is what the adviser calls "obviously highly calculated."

"Some cutesy person over there like [Kerry senior strategist Robert] Shrum must have got the stupid idea that they can undercut our base because Cheney has a gay daughter," the adviser said.

The theory is that homophobes in Bush's base may recoil after learning the veep they adore has a homosexual daughter.

It also, the source agreed, lends an aura of hypocrisy to Bush's call for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage - an amendment Cheney personally opposes.

Camp Kerry insiders who participated in the senator's debate prep insist their man's comments were "off-the-cuff" and not part of their debate plan. But one aide said of the GOP response: "This issue makes them uncomfortable, because they use the issue politically."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The outing of Cheney's daughter during a nationally televised debate could go down in history as the dirtiest debate slander ever.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 11:39 AM
    [b] The outing of Cheney's daughter during a nationally televised debate could go down in history as the dirtiest debate slander ever. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah Dick Cheney should've never mentioned that he had a gay daughter during the 2000 debate with Joe Liberman.

Why did he "out" his own daughter back then anyway?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 11:39 AM
    [b] The outing of Cheney's daughter during a nationally televised debate could go down in history as the dirtiest debate slander ever. [/b][/quote]
    The "outing"? Slander? Didnt Cheney and Edwards cordially discuss Mary Cheney during their debate? Nice ploy by the GOP to get their faces on TV in outrage over Kerry so the networks couldnt blast Bush with clips of him saying he is not concerned about Bin Laden, which he lied about during the debate. Karl must of been right on top of it.

Outing, thats laughable...

Why are the Cheney's so ashamed they have a lesbian daughter?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly this whole mock outrage on the part of the GOP is their pathetic attempt to get some sort of issue they could make traction with following Bush's awful performance in the three debates.

These debates clearly illustrated how inferior Bush is compared to Senator Kerry. So since they had no where to go on the issues they had to create some sort of mock outrage.

Anyway, why is it that our GOP friends always feel the need to be outraged by something?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on now. Cheney was asked a question and he answered it. Theres a difference between talking about your own family and someone else talking about your family. Its the same as when a person of a certain race or religion can kid around about it but when an outsider does it it's inapropriate.

If an Italian calls another Italian a Ginnie it's ok.. It's not OK when a non-Italian says it.

The Clintons were very adamant about keeping their family out of the line of fire. Now Kerry goes after Cheney's for no other reason then to attack him and his family personally.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:05 PM
    [b] Now Kerry goes after Cheney's for no other reason then to attack him and his family personally. [/b][/quote]
    No one was attacked&#33; Geez&#33; <_<

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It&#39;s not important what you two super libs think in this regard. Mothers in America are offended by Kerrys blatant attack. This is going to hurt him and deservedly so. It was a low blow

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:08 PM
    [b] Mothers in America are offended by Kerrys blatant attack. [/b][/quote]
    So you checked with all the mothers? :huh:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:05 PM
    [b] Come on now. Cheney was asked a question and he answered it. Theres a difference between talking about your own family and someone else talking about your family. Its the same as when a person of a certain race or religion can kid around about it but when an outsider does it it&#39;s inapropriate.

If an Italian calls another Italian a Ginnie it&#39;s ok.. It&#39;s not OK when a non-Italian says it.

The Clintons were very adamant about keeping their family out of the line of fire. Now Kerry goes after Cheney&#39;s for no other reason then to attack him and his family personally. [/b][/quote]

How exactly did Kerry "go after" Mary Cheney? Seemed like a compliment to me.

This is the stupidest thing to come out of the debate. Kerry just said that he believed Mary Cheney was just being who she is, who she was born as. Its a nice diversion by the GOP since they lost all 3 debates. Does it point out further hypocrisy by the Bush administration, sure. Push your agenda through no matter who it effects.

Its idiotic that this is being discussed and its even more bizarre to call it an outing or slander. Neither of which is true.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long+Oct 15 2004, 12:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (4th&Long &#064; Oct 15 2004, 12:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:05 PM
    [b] Come on now. Cheney was asked a question and he answered it. Theres a difference between talking about your own family and someone else talking about your family. Its the same as when a person of a certain race or religion can kid around about it but when an outsider does it it&#39;s inapropriate.

If an Italian calls another Italian a Ginnie it&#39;s ok.. It&#39;s not OK when a non-Italian says it.

The Clintons were very adamant about keeping their family out of the line of fire. Now Kerry goes after Cheney&#39;s for no other reason then to attack him and his family personally. [/b][/quote]
    This is the stupidest thing to come out of the debate. Kerry just said that he believed Mary Cheney was just being who she is, who she was born as. Its a nice diversion by the GOP since they lost all 3 debates. Does it point out further hypocrisy by the Bush administration, sure. Push your agenda through no matter who it effects.

Its idiotic that this is being discussed and its even more bizarre to call it an outing or slander. Neither of which is true. [/b][/quote]
    Their grasping at straws.

This feigned outrage is probably the last gasp of a dying regime.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by valleyjet+Oct 15 2004, 12:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (valleyjet @ Oct 15 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by 4th&Long@Oct 15 2004, 12:09 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-chiefst2000[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:05 PM

Its idiotic that this is being discussed and its even more bizarre to call it an outing or slander. Neither of which is true. [/b][/quote]
    Their grasping at straws.

This feigned outrage is probably the last gasp of a dying regime. [/b][/quote]
    :D :D :D

Spoken like a true wishfull thinker :D :D

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was no reason to bring Mary Chaney into it. Why not Chastity Bono, another political daughter.... (Sonny was a mayor after all) Or better yet, Rosie O&#39;Donnell who is very open about it? There was no reason to bring another mans family into it. Did any of the GOP talk about how Kerry&#39;s daughter wore that see -through dress? No... because there was no reason to bring her into the debates

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The GOP desperation is coming through loud and clear.

Let&#39;s get back to my question why is it that GOP&#39;ers always feel the need to be outraged by something?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ItstheLOOP[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:21 PM
    [b] There was no reason to bring Mary Chaney into it. Why not Chastity Bono, another political daughter.... (Sonny was a mayor after all) Or better yet, Rosie O&#39;Donnell who is very open about it? There was no reason to bring another mans family into it. Did any of the GOP talk about how Kerry&#39;s daughter wore that see -through dress? No... because there was no reason to bring her into the debates [/b][/quote]
    Oh poor Bushies, they&#39;ve gawt their feelings hurdt...ohhh poor babies...Ask John McCain about his illegitimate black child or his drug addicted wife...talk about slander.

The GOP - everyone is out to get us - wah wah, the liberal media, the dems, wah wah&#33;&#33;

And Kerry was paying them a compliment.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny. It seemed like a cheap comment for a desperate Kerry, who still is campaigning on the "I&#39;m not Bush" ticket.

Not worth the outrage. The response should have been "What do you expect?"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fact #1: The Bush Campaign has taken an official policy of Anti-Homosexual Marriage and Anti-Homosexual rights. Cheney has attempted at every turn to downplay his own homosexual daughter.

Fact #2: Kerry pointed out the inherant hypocricy of a party and a leader (Cheney) who chooses to fight to withhold rights from from an entire class of people, which includes his own child.

The point was directly relevant to an important issue (to some) of this election. You may not like the fact that he did it, but you cannot possibly claim Kerry&#39;s point was not directly related to the issues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 12:56 PM
    [b] Fact #1: The Bush Campaign has taken an official policy of Anti-Homosexual Marriage and Anti-Homosexual rights. Cheney has attempted at every turn to downplay his own homosexual daughter.

Fact #2: Kerry pointed out the inherant hypocricy of a party and a leader (Cheney) who chooses to fight to withhold rights from from an entire class of people, which includes his own child.

The point was directly relevant to an important issue (to some) of this election. You may not like the fact that he did it, but you cannot possibly claim Kerry&#39;s point was not directly related to the issues. [/b][/quote]
    Fact, the Kerry campaign deliberately wen after Cheney&#39;s daughter due to their foolish assumption that Bush Cheney voters will be turned off if they knew that Cheney has a daughter who is a lesbian.

Fact: The Bush campaign has never fought to withhold rights to anyone. Every man has the right to marry a woman and vice versa.

Fact: cheney&#39;s daughter is completely irrelevant in this case. There was no reason to bring her up.

Fact: It might have been forgivable had it only been done once. The FACT that they did it twice (first time in the veep debate) tells us that the Kerryu campaign premeditated the attack.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 01:56 PM
    [b] Fact #1: The Bush Campaign has taken an official policy of Anti-Homosexual Marriage and Anti-Homosexual rights. Cheney has attempted at every turn to downplay his own homosexual daughter.

The point was directly relevant to an important issue (to some) of this election. You may not like the fact that he did it, but you cannot possibly claim Kerry&#39;s point was not directly related to the issues. [/b][/quote]
    Of course it was related, although it would have been directly relevent if he were debating Cheney.

It was also cheap and classless.

Like I said, why would anybody be surprised Kerry said it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+Oct 15 2004, 01:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper @ Oct 15 2004, 01:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 15 2004, 01:56 PM

Of course it was related, although it would have been directly relevent if he were debating Cheney.

It was also cheap and classless.

Like I said, why would anybody be surprised Kerry said it. [/b][/quote]
    I respect Mary Chaney. Standing up for her Dad and working for the Bush&#39;s despite their homophobic views. Impressive.