Thread: Dear Mr. President - An Open Letter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good read:
    [quote][b]Dear Mr. President,

Thank you for your courageous leadership over the past 4 years. My family and I are better off today than we were before you became Commander in Chief.

My purpose in writing today is two fold: one, I want to address a specific question brought up in Wednesday night's debate and two, I want to encourage you to meet with me.

First, the question. Bob Sheafer asked you and Senator Kerry if you believe homosexuality is a choice. I appreciated your sincere answer and your compassionate call to treat all people with dignity and respect. Everytime you mention homosexual people I believe you honestly care about them and want others to treat them as fellow human beings. The liberal media will never give you any credit for this because simple dignity isn't their desire, a no holds barred sexual revolution is what they are after.

And while I believe you to be sincere and earnest in your desire to serve all people I also think that you could know more about the issues surrounding homosexuality than you do--that is why I think you need to meet me and others like me.

I am, for political and news clip purposes, what others call 'ex-gay'. I prefer to reference myself by what defines me: my faith in Jesus Christ, the fact that I am a husband and expectant father, a loving son, brother and human being, a man. However, in this sex-defined culture I am pigeon holed by many on both sides of the debate by what I used to do.

I was involved in homosexuality for a number of years starting in puberty and extending through about age 20. I had numerous sexual encounters and emotionally volatile relationships, attended a gay church, went to pride rallies and parades, worked on the AIDS quilt, volunteered at AIDS organizations and tried desperately to reconcile my faith with my sexuality. I could not.

When I was still a teenager I was referred to a Christian ministry that helped those struggling with homosexuality. This local ministry was a member of Exodus International, the world's leading outreach to men, women, youth and families affected by unwanted homosexuality. And even though I dabbled for two years after finding out about Exodus, I did faithfully attend meetings, counseling and seek to make a change in my life. Because of my faith in God and His unending grace, change won out.

As I inferred above, I am married today; a benefit not cause of my healing. Since 2001 I have been the President of Exodus International because I believe the world needs to know not only that change is possible, but that hundreds of thousands of men and women have sought and made that change. I lived as a homosexual and the world, especially young people and parents, need to know that it is not a healthy path or the optimal option. Which brings me back to last night's question. Homosexuality is and isn't a choice. I did not wake up one morning and choose to 'feel' gay. At that time I would have rather died then felt what I felt. However, at a time when I was old enough to make wise decisions I did choose to act on my feelings. For those who say they have no choice, that is not true. We all have a choice to do what is best and with regard to acting on my homosexual feelings and inclinations, I did not choose God's best for me or for society when I chose to act upon them. However, I did finally choose to live beyond those feelings and today I am not a homosexual nor am I tempted to be one.

Mr. President, it is my sincere hope that you will choose to meet me, along with my wife Leslie. In fact, I think it would benefit you to meet the many men, women, youth and families that have been personally affected by this issue. I am sure you both know and regularly meet people actively pursuing a homosexual path--a path that they have every right to walk. However, how often do you meet people that made the very difficult choice to pursue the harder road and more unpopular path in today's society? Please take me up on this and choose to meet someone that has found freedom from homosexuality.

It is my sincere pleasure to pray for you regularly. I believe you are an honest and honorable man.

Most Sincerely,

Alan Chambers

Note: This letter was edited for use in the Spotlights.[/b][/quote]

[url=http://exodus.to/default2.asp] Entire letter here[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, you have posted a "commercial"-style letter written by and for the folks who think all Homosexuals can be "fixed", if only they accept Jesus as their personal savior......

I'd be interested to hearing your point in posting this. :blink:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There isn't a human alive that is going to explain to your satisfaction the point of that post if you don't allready know in you heart. They hate anything christian and thats why they hate Bush ," Before they hated you they hated me first" JC.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Destanee[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 02:28 PM
    [b] There isn't a human alive that is going to explain to your satisfaction the point of that post if you don't allready know in you heart. They hate anything christian and thats why they hate Bush ," Before they hated you they hated me first" JC. [/b][/quote]
    They? You mean Homosexuals? Homosexuals hate Jesus and Christianity?

Care to clarifiy yourself?

And are you actually comparing George Bush to Jesus in your last line?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    On second thought maybe I will move to France.

Where are Ace and Gary when you need them?

[img]http://www.quicktimeflix.net/agd/queen.jpg[/img]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Oct 19 2004, 01:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish &#064; Oct 19 2004, 01:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Destanee[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 02:28 PM
    [b] There isn&#39;t a human alive that is going to explain to your satisfaction the point of that post if you don&#39;t allready know in you heart. They hate anything christian and thats why they hate Bush ," Before they hated you they hated me first" JC. [/b][/quote]
    They? You mean Homosexuals? Homosexuals hate Jesus and Christianity?

Care to clarifiy yourself?

And are you actually comparing George Bush to Jesus in your last line?[/b][/quote]
    No I&#39;m not not putting Bush up with Jesus I&#39;m say that all people of faith in Christ will be hated for that faith, including Bush.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 09:54 PM
    [b] So, you have posted a "commercial"-style letter written by and for the folks who think all Homosexuals can be "fixed", if only they accept Jesus as their personal savior......

I&#39;d be interested to hearing your point in posting this. :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Well the question about homosexuality in the 3rd debate has been mostly about Kerry&#39;s answer. So this is related to Bush&#39;s answer and the author&#39;s feelings about it.

And, yes, I agree with Alan Chambers--homosexuals are not born that way and can change, and most do so with God&#39;s help, just like many alcoholics, drug addicts, prostitutes, etc.

Who knows, maybe there&#39;s someone on this forum who&#39;s struggling with homosexuality and doesn&#39;t know about the help they can get from Exodus. This post may change their life.

If you disagree, that&#39;s fine.

BTW, in case you&#39;re wondering, no one ends up in Hell b/c they&#39;re gay.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by asuusa+Oct 20 2004, 12:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (asuusa @ Oct 20 2004, 12:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 09:54 PM
    [b] So, you have posted a "commercial"-style letter written by and for the folks who think all Homosexuals can be "fixed", if only they accept Jesus as their personal savior......

I&#39;d be interested to hearing your point in posting this. :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Well the question about homosexuality in the 3rd debate has been mostly about Kerry&#39;s answer. So this is related to Bush&#39;s answer and the author&#39;s feelings about it.

And, yes, I agree with Alan Chambers--homosexuals are not born that way and can change, and most do so with God&#39;s help, just like many alcoholics, drug addicts, prostitutes, etc.

Who knows, maybe there&#39;s someone on this forum who&#39;s struggling with homosexuality and doesn&#39;t know about the help they can get from Exodus. This post may change their life.

If you disagree, that&#39;s fine.

BTW, in case you&#39;re wondering, no one ends up in Hell b/c they&#39;re gay. [/b][/quote]
    Who the F are you to make these absolute statements. Of course Gays go to hell, havn&#39;t you been listening to the church?

How do you know homosexuality is a choice?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Section - the data on the "nature versus nurture" issue regarding homosexuality is far from conclusive. The "Gay gene" theory has been thoroughly debunked. Now, current interest seems to revolve around the pituitary gland&#39;s size in gay men. Either way, no one can presently state that homosexuality is all nature or all nurture...regardless of the agendas of the pro- and anti-gay lobbies. The pro-gay people have obvious reasons as to why they&#39;d see it as all Nature, whereas the anti-gay people have obvious agendas for describing it as all Nurture. But the truth, sadly, eludes us presently. Most people cling to the seemingly-profound but actually meaningless "it&#39;s a combination of both" line of argument, even though most could not give hard evidence supporting that..mostly anecdotal or inconclusive case studies...

One of the difficulties from a scientific perspective lies in the existence of bisexual people...both female and male. Also, transgendered people throw a wrench into the mix, as it were, in terms of studying simple "homosexuality." What data do we have regarding the Nature versus Nurture aspect on bisexuality, transgendered people, etc? How reliable is it - are people who are bisexuals being erroneously counted as homosexuals in case studies? Are all bisexuals equally attracted to both sexes, or is their a weighting involved? Have people who were homosexuals become bisexuals later on? Why? Why not? Aside from religion or guilt, have some homosexuals ever become straight? These are just a few of the million questions that need to be clarified in terms of case study participants, and often ties studies are based solely upon how people describe themselves...which can be more inaccurate than you&#39;d think. It becomes difficult to separate emotion from this issue. Personally, I don&#39;t much care whether or not it is a choice or not. Gay people, bisexual people, whatever - they all deserve to be treated fairly and with equity under the law, IMO. However, I don&#39;t tend to cry "Bigot&#33;&#33;" when some people sincerely feel that homosexuality or bisexuality is "wrong." I do think morality is somewhat relative on the majority of issues, though there are some absolutes, IMO. This gay issue just isn&#39;t one of them - I don&#39;t care who people choose to bang and like it that they don&#39;t care about who I choose to&#33; Unless something infringes on another person&#39;s rights or their safety, etc, I think we should live and let live. This includes not bashing gays...and it ALSO includes not bashing those people who disgree with the gay lifestyle, which I think some liberals don&#39;t get. Being gay isn&#39;t "wrong" but neither is disapproving of the gay lifestyle &#39;wrong.&#39; I find it ironic that people who champion tolerance have a hard time tolerating those people who don&#39;t see eye-to-eye with them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything in life is choice. My genetics may lend themselves to weight gain, but it&#39;s my fat arse that refuses to put down the double cheeseburger.

Any act that requires conscious thought to perform requires a choice, do it or do not do it. My genetics may make that choice harder, or me more likely to give in, but I still have the power over myself and my actions.

And of course, the above is only MY opinion on the issue based on my reading of various research over the years (mostly via the media, both left and right-biased).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 20 2004, 09:46 AM
    [b]
    Who the F are you to make these absolute statements. Of course Gays go to hell, havn&#39;t you been listening to the church?

How do you know homosexuality is a choice?[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t listen to the "church" but I do read the Bible.

About choice? 1-Because thousands have changed; 2-No scientific evidence; 3-Warfish&#39;s post above.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly. there is no such thing as "ex-gay."

Once you&#39;ve sampled the sausage, you are gay. Not that there&#39;s anything wrong with that.

But you are gay.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "You can lay a [i]thousand[/i] bricks and still not be a brick-layer, but if you...(omitted)."