Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plan for Iraq

[quote][b]as a long-term student of insurgent warfare and a soldier who’s fought guerrillas in post-World-War-II Italy, during the Korean War and for more than four years in Vietnam, here’s what I would do:

* Immediately fire SecDef Donald Rumsfeld, all of his Pentagon senior civilian assistants and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Richard Myers.

* Replace Rumsfeld with retired Gen. Anthony Zinni and give this tough, smart, proven leader a free hand to bring in the best people to reshape and streamline our armed forces for the long counterinsurgency fight ahead.

* Fire National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and replace her with retired Gens. Wes Clark or John Sheehan.

* Establish a military objective – an often-neglected Principle of War – that will include: how the U.S. is going to regain the lost initiative (another neglected Principle of War) and how we’re going to take and hold the turf seized by insurgents; how we will then win the Iraqi people to our side in the fight against the insurgents; how the nascent Iraqi defense shield will eventually replace our forces; and a detailed, coherent exit plan.

* Force our coalition partners in Iraq to either move out of the safety of their forts and start participating in the campaign or go home. So far, they’ve added little to the fight except providing an opportunity for politicos to crow about the unity of a coalition in which we’re doing almost all the heavy lifting.

* Replace our conventional-thinking generals in Iraq and in other hot spots with leaders – preferably Special Forces – who understand the nature of insurgency, and leave them in place until we execute our exit plan.

* Double and then triple the size of our forces in Afghanistan – or we’ll soon be following in the Soviets’ loser boot-steps. This is one of the main events in our global fight with insurgents and should receive top priority.

* Establish a comprehensive course on counterinsurgency warfare that every commander from lieutenant to general would be required to pass, culminating in a butt-busting final exam certifying that graduates have qualified for counterinsurgency warfare at their particular level. A fail would mean immediate discharge.

* Toughen boot-camp standards for all soldiers and make them as realistic, demanding and disciplined as those sweated through by past generations. Then maintain this level throughout the regular and Reserve forces.

* Merge the Army National Guard and Reserve forces into one formation modeled after the Marine Corps Reserves but configured for the post-Cold War fight against international insurgency.

* Provide the states with limited funds to establish a light infantry/military police/state militia force for emergencies such as fires and storms, and for Homeland Defense missions.

* Reorganize the Army from A to Z, starting with doubling the size of Special Ops Forces and maneuver units, gutting the Cold War stuff and adding more civil-affairs, psych-war and military-police units. Deep-six the folks who excel in PowerPoint briefings but add nothing to the critical missions at hand, beginning with the pernicious, pervasive Pentagon blubber and working down to brigade level.

* Overhaul the Army’s antique personnel system, which has fostered the current corrosive corporate general officer system that’s made many officers and senior NCOs careerists rather than two-fisted leaders. Use Maj. Donald Vandergriff’s book, The Path to Victory, as a primer for this desperately needed reform.

* Reduce or scrap most of the multibillion-dollar porker programs such as Star Wars II, and spike orders for platinum-plated Cold War II ships and aircraft. Then use the funds to arm and equip our warriors appropriately.

* Make every military leader from buck sergeant to four-star memorize Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, and Imperial Hubris, by “Anonymous.”

That’s, of course, for openers .…

[/b][/quote]

[url=http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=Hacks%20Target%20Homepage.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=88&rnd=870.9236370482425]http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews....0.9236370482425[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

How do you trust this guy> According to Kerry, based on his experience he must have been a marauding baby killer. They all were in Vietnam, especially those who were there more than 3 months.

Now you want to put this maniac in charge of the entire military?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][b]How do you trust this guy> According to Kerry, based on his experience he must have been a marauding baby killer. They all were in Vietnam, especially those who were there more than 3 months.

Now you want to put this maniac in charge of the entire military? [/b][/quote]

What a shock Piper. :rolleyes: You cannot beat the logic of the suggestions, so you make a worthless political attack, not even against the poster of the suggestions, but against John Kerry.

Why not take a look at the suggestions and debate THEM? Oh, right, you cannot, because they are almost all DAMN GOOD ideas that would make the U.S. stronger and better able to fight in the post Cold-War/Mutually Assured Destruction age of Terrorism and Counter-Insurgent Warfare.

If making the U.S. safe is SOOOOOO important to Conservatives such as yourself Piper, why not applaud these suggestions for what they are, a great way to make America safer?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

You've really got to take these sites seriously when they talk about running foreign policy for this country and/or supporting our troops...the "PAYPAL Donate" link adds a nice touch, donctha think?? :lol:

Funny....bitonti wants to laugh because he stated I posted something from Newsmax (and as usual, I proved him [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30647&st=25&#entry485282]WRONG[/url], yet he posts crap from homemade websites! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:31 AM
    [b] [quote][b]How do you trust this guy> According to Kerry, based on his experience he must have been a marauding baby killer. They all were in Vietnam, especially those who were there more than 3 months.

Now you want to put this maniac in charge of the entire military? [/b][/quote]

What a shock Piper. :rolleyes: You cannot beat the logic of the suggestions, so you make a worthless political attack, not even against the poster of the suggestions, but against John Kerry.

Why not take a look at the suggestions and debate THEM? Oh, right, you cannot, because they are almost all DAMN GOOD ideas that would make the U.S. stronger and better able to fight in the post Cold-War/Mutually Assured Destruction age of Terrorism and Counter-Insurgent Warfare.

If making the U.S. safe is SOOOOOO important to Conservatives such as yourself Piper, why not applaud these suggestions for what they are, a great way to make America safer? [/b][/quote]
    Actually I was taking a shot at the poster ... But it doesn't surprise me that you didn't pick up on that.

And considering that I have about the same ability to judge if this is real or fantasy(like the letter that I posted which pointed out the rosy view of the progress in Iraq) debating it would be mental masturbation.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 09:47 AM
    [b] You've really got to take these sites seriously when they talk about running foreign policy for this country and/or supporting our troops...the "PAYPAL Donate" link adds a nice touch, donctha think?? :lol:

Funny....bitonti wants to laugh because he stated I posted something from Newsmax (and as usual, I proved him [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30647&st=25&#entry485282]WRONG[/url], yet he posts crap from homemade websites! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Wow, Conservative poster #2 who cannot debate the suggestions, so he attacks the poster instead........

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Oct 19 2004, 10:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish &#064; Oct 19 2004, 10:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 09:47 AM
    [b] You&#39;ve really got to take these sites seriously when they talk about running foreign policy for this country and/or supporting our troops...the "PAYPAL Donate" link adds a nice touch, donctha think?? :lol:

Funny....bitonti wants to laugh because he stated I posted something from Newsmax (and as usual, I proved him [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30647&st=25&#entry485282]WRONG[/url], yet he posts crap from homemade websites&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Wow, Conservative poster #2 who cannot debate the suggestions, so he attacks the poster instead........ [/b][/quote]
    Wow....Warfish..the closet lib, showing his hypocritical face and only taking conservatives to task....read the post dope and try to be a little observant and preceptive&#33;

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][b]Actually I was taking a shot at the poster ... But it doesn&#39;t surprise me that you didn&#39;t pick up on that.

And considering that I have about the same ability to judge if this is real or fantasy(like the letter that I posted which pointed out the rosy view of the progress in Iraq) debating it would be mental masturbation. [/b][/quote]

*cough* EXCUSES *cough cough*

When you cannot debate or discuss something you label it "mental masturbation", eh? Like all the OTHER stuff we debate here isn&#39;t?

I guess it&#39;s cool for you to post YOUR stuff, but when others post similar items, it&#39;s "mental Masturbation".....hilarious. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][b]Wow....Warfish..the closet lib, showing his hypocritical face and only taking conservatives to task....read the post dope and try to be a little observant and preceptive&#33; [/b][/quote]

Has nothing to do with perception my incredibly ignorant and hypocritical friend.

Bit, for all his leftist-ism, posted a piece with some GREAT suggestions to make America safer. Instead of discussing the suggestions, the reason for his post, you attack the poster because he is a leftist. Pathetic, CBTNY, is what that is.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:03 AM
    [b] [quote][b]Actually I was taking a shot at the poster ... But it doesn&#39;t surprise me that you didn&#39;t pick up on that.

And considering that I have about the same ability to judge if this is real or fantasy(like the letter that I posted which pointed out the rosy view of the progress in Iraq) debating it would be mental masturbation. [/b][/quote]

*cough* EXCUSES *cough cough*

When you cannot debate or discuss something you label it "mental masturbation", eh? Like all the OTHER stuff we debate here isn&#39;t?

I guess it&#39;s cool for you to post YOUR stuff, but when others post similar items, it&#39;s "mental Masturbation".....hilarious. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    What&#39;s hilarious is your total hypocrisy and, as I&#39;ve stated before, the fact you are not a very observant poster.

no one addressed the meat of the post cause they can&#39;t

Bush has done a HORRIBLE job with our Army and this country is in the process of LOSING the war on terror.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:06 AM
    [b] no one addressed the meat of the post cause they can&#39;t

Bush has done a HORRIBLE job with our Army and this country is in the process of LOSING the war on terror. [/b][/quote]
    I read the first three bulllets and its&#39; obvious this guy is a rat "hack" and has a political agenda which comes before anything else....that was enough for me.

[quote][b]Double and then triple the size of our forces in Afghanistan – or we’ll soon be following in the Soviets’ loser boot-steps. This is one of the main events in our global fight with insurgents and should receive top priority.
    [/b][/quote]

That is a ridiculous theory.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:09 AM
    [b] [quote][b]Double and then triple the size of our forces in Afghanistan – or we’ll soon be following in the Soviets’ loser boot-steps. This is one of the main events in our global fight with insurgents and should receive top priority.
    [/b][/quote]

That is a ridiculous theory. [/b][/quote]
    afghanistan is in a shambles right now - surely you can&#39;t believe the troop numbers we have there are adequate?

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 12:01 AM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]
    * Immediately fire SecDef Donald Rumsfeld, all of his Pentagon senior civilian assistants and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Richard Myers.

[b]Statement without reasoning or justification. Not deserving of a response[/b]

* Replace Rumsfeld with retired Gen. Anthony Zinni and give this tough, smart, proven leader a free hand to bring in the best people to reshape and streamline our armed forces for the long counterinsurgency fight ahead.

[b]Statement without reasoning or justification. Not deserving of a response[/b]

* Force our coalition partners in Iraq to either move out of the safety of their forts and start participating in the campaign or go home. So far, they’ve added little to the fight except providing an opportunity for politicos to crow about the unity of a coalition in which we’re doing almost all the heavy lifting.

[b]This statement is offensive in that it doesn&#39;t take into account the fact that our coalition partners have taken casualties equal to their proportion of the coalition. Coalition forces make up approximately 15% of the soldiers in Iraq and their casualty rate is equall to their proportion.[/b]

* Fire National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and replace her with retired Gens. Wes Clark or John Sheehan.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Oct 19 2004, 10:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Oct 19 2004, 10:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:09 AM
    [b] [quote][b]Double and then triple the size of our forces in Afghanistan – or we’ll soon be following in the Soviets’ loser boot-steps. This is one of the main events in our global fight with insurgents and should receive top priority.
    [/b][/quote]

That is a ridiculous theory. [/b][/quote]
    afghanistan is in a shambles right now - surely you can&#39;t believe the troop numbers we have there are adequate? [/b][/quote]
    Shambles?? They just had free elections there....how many deaths, bombings, etc were there during the elections???

To say we are "following in the Soviets loser-bootsteps" is ludicrous and just proves this guy is a loser...where is his backing for that statement.

you say not deserving of a response...

the fact remains that everyone recommended to be fired has done a HORRIBLE job in their position.

Mistake-ridden, horrible job. If Herman Edwards performed as poorly as Donald Rumsfeld had you guys would be up his ass in about 6 seconds.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:21 AM
    [b] you say not deserving of a response...

the fact remains that everyone recommended to be fired has done a HORRIBLE job in their position.

Mistake-ridden, horrible job. If Herman Edwards performed as poorly as Donald Rumsfeld had you guys would be up his ass in about 6 seconds. [/b][/quote]
    there you go...don&#39;t address the post, attack the poster right&#33; You hypocritical libs should practice what you preach...you are an absolute joke&#33;

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:21 AM

Mistake-ridden, horrible job. If Herman Edwards performed as poorly as Donald Rumsfeld had you guys would be up his ass in about 6 seconds. [/b][/quote]
    Rumsfeld has presided over two of the swiftest and most successfull military operations in the history of warfare. Thats like firing the coach after two superbowl blowout victorys.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:24 AM
    [b]
    there you go...don&#39;t address the post, attack the poster right&#33; You hypocritical libs should practice what you preach...you are an absolute joke&#33; [/b][/quote]
    what are you talking about? I didn&#39;t attack the poster i was talking DIRECTLY to a quote?

as 5ever would say: surely you can&#39;t be that ignorant? :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000+Oct 19 2004, 10:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (chiefst2000 @ Oct 19 2004, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bitonti[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 10:21 AM

Rumsfeld has presided over two of the swiftest and most successfull military operations in the history of warfare. Thats like firing the coach after two superbowl blowout victorys. [/b][/quote]
    yeah he has also presided over the most deadly American occupation since Vietnam -

you guys don&#39;t seem to understand that defeating the enemy means actually defeating the enemy - Iraq&#39;s army didn&#39;t lose, they just went home to fight another day... and they are fighting. It was a huge miscalculation, just like the idea that the Iraqis would greet us with flowers and embrace democracy. Face the facts the war is going down the toilet. Things are getting worse, not better.

how about those 18 reservists that refused to go on a convoy mission cause they thought it was a suicide mission? Isolated incident? maybe but Things like that don&#39;t happen when we are winning a war.