Thread: Florida Amendment discussion

You can say whatever you want to about this candidate or that candidate, but I doubt at this point it will change anyones vote. So if any fellow Floridians wish to discuss and/or debate the amendments on the ballot that would be a constructive use of this forum. I'm sure you from New York and other states have these wordy things too. I got my sample ballot in the mail yesterday and had to read some of them repeatedly to understand exactly what they were for.

Anyway, just an idea.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BucJeff[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 01:38 PM
    [b] You can say whatever you want to about this candidate or that candidate, but I doubt at this point it will change anyones vote. So if any fellow Floridians wish to discuss and/or debate the amendments on the ballot that would be a constructive use of this forum. I'm sure you from New York and other states have these wordy things too. I got my sample ballot in the mail yesterday and had to read some of them repeatedly to understand exactly what they were for.

Anyway, just an idea. [/b][/quote]
    Is there an amendmant on their for that grants Jeb power of attorney over everyone on life support?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Oct 19 2004, 12:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 &#064; Oct 19 2004, 12:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BucJeff[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 01:38 PM
    [b] You can say whatever you want to about this candidate or that candidate, but I doubt at this point it will change anyones vote. So if any fellow Floridians wish to discuss and/or debate the amendments on the ballot that would be a constructive use of this forum. I&#39;m sure you from New York and other states have these wordy things too. I got my sample ballot in the mail yesterday and had to read some of them repeatedly to understand exactly what they were for.

Is there an amendmant on their for that grants Jeb power of attorney over everyone on life support? [/b][/quote]
    See, that&#39;s what I&#39;m talking about. I&#39;m looking for a serious and friendly talk about something we actually have control over, and you have to be a jerk.

Hall Of Fame
    Hey great idea... Here is what I am leaning towards [u]thus far[/u] and I emphasize that it&#39;s "thus far" pending further research and evaluation.

--------------------

[b]Amendment One - Parental Notification.[/b] This one is about making a minor notify a parent or have a judges permission to have an abortion.

[b]Current Voting Status - YES[/b]

[b]My take:[/b] I find it hard to believe that anyone can be against having knowledge of their MINOR child&#39;s activities, especially one that is essentially a surgical procedure. The main argument from the opposition consists of a concern should a parent actually be the root of the problem (incest / rape / abuse). This is why it is clear that a Judge can authorize the procedure, which in actuality is a two-fold benefit. Not only can the child have the procedure, but then the state can begin an investigation into the parents conduct.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Two - Earlier Deadlines for Petitions.[/b]

[b]Current Voting Status - UNDECIDED[/b]

[b]My take:[/b] I haven&#39;t the slightest idea about this one yet. I will revisit it later.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Three - Lawyer Fees[/b] Legal fees in malpractice cases would be capped at 30 percent of the first &#036;250,000 awarded in malpractice cases, and 10 percent for anything above that.

[b]My take: [/b] Any way to reduce the insane paychecks these ambulance chasers get is fine with me. However, this does have little effect in the grand scheme of things. Lawyer fees are already capped in the state of Florida, this does reduce that cap some. The true test to reduce frivolent lawsuits would come as part of a loser pays amendment along with some (not sure myself) means of cap on the actual AWARD (ie. pain & suffering / punitive damages). It will, I think, reduce the number of sleazy attorneys out there that are filing these types of lawsuits. My final analysis is that I am still up in the air on this one.

--------------------

EDITED FOR FAULTY LANGUAGE
    [b]Amendment Four - Slot Machines[/b] Taxing NEW slot machines.

[b]My take:[/b] I think this is a ruse by the gambling conglomerates to try and weasel their way into full blown legalized gambling in the state of Florida. And you know what? I say bring it. The supposed real issue on the ballot is that taxing the proposed new slot machines at currently licensed paramutuel facilities in those counties will provide a &#036;500 mm [u]suppliment[/u] to the education system. What comes to mind is that old lame R&R song.. "Once Bitten Twice Shy." They are promoting this as a true supplement (added into) the education budget in Fla. We saw what happened with the lottery. My synical side tells me that this just means something else will get cut. But hey, its worth a shot, even if it only works for one year, that &#036;500mm can go along way.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Five - Minimum Wage[/b] Increase from &#036;5.15 to &#036;6.15

[b]My take: [/b] This is a meaningless increase. It does nobody any good and does nobody any harm. If teenages want to feel good about making &#036;6.15 / hour then more power to them. If you are an adult and making &#036;6.15 / hour... you have bigger problems than your job.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Six - Repeal of High Speed Rail[/b]

[b]My take: [/b] Screw high-speed rail. We need LOCAL MASS TRANSIT upgrades / alternatives. I am sorry, but getting my ass to Tampa in 45 mins doesn&#39;t help me get to work any faster, which ironically takes me 45 mins.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Seven - Patients Right-to-know[/b] This would allow patients to review the records of past "adverse medical incidents" of doctors and medical facilities.

[b]Current Voting Status - NO[/b]

[b]My take: [/b] Plain and simple, this is a drive for lawyers to have more ammunition to create lawsuits where none should exist. Internal peer-review boards will be undermined. Although, I am not solidly against this one just yet.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Eight - Doctors Three-Strikes[/b] - Any doctor guilty of three malpractices is delicensed.

[b]My take: [/b] Another sure-fired way to increase lawsuits by attorneys. This will compel Doctors and Insurance carriers to settle, even the most frivolous of lawsuits in order to prevent a "malpractice" from appearing on record.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BucJeff+Oct 19 2004, 11:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (BucJeff @ Oct 19 2004, 11:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Oct 19 2004, 12:41 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-BucJeff[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 01:38 PM
    [b] You can say whatever you want to about this candidate or that candidate, but I doubt at this point it will change anyones vote. So if any fellow Floridians wish to discuss and/or debate the amendments on the ballot that would be a constructive use of this forum. I&#39;m sure you from New York and other states have these wordy things too. I got my sample ballot in the mail yesterday and had to read some of them repeatedly to understand exactly what they were for.

Is there an amendmant on their for that grants Jeb power of attorney over everyone on life support? [/b][/quote]
    See, that&#39;s what I&#39;m talking about. I&#39;m looking for a serious and friendly talk about something we actually have control over, and you have to be a jerk. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s typical. <_<

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetFanTransplant[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 01:23 PM
    [b] Hey great idea... Here is what I am leaning towards [u]thus far[/u] and I emphasize that it&#39;s "thus far" pending further research and evaluation.

--------------------

[b]Amendment One - Parental Notification.[/b] This one is about making a minor notify a parent or have a judges permission to have an abortion.

[b]My take:[/b] I find it hard to believe that anyone can be against having knowledge of their MINOR child&#39;s activities, especially one that is essentially a surgical procedure. The main argument from the opposition consists of a concern should a parent actually be the root of the problem (incest / rape / abuse). This is why it is clear that a Judge can authorize the procedure, which in actuality is a two-fold benefit. Not only can the child have the procedure, but then the state can begin an investigation into the parents conduct.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Two - Earlier Deadlines for Petitions.[/b]

[b]Current Voting Status - UNDECIDED[/b]

[b]My take:[/b] I haven&#39;t the slightest idea about this one yet. I will revisit it later.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Three - Lawyer Fees[/b] Legal fees in malpractice cases would be capped at 30 percent of the first &#036;250,000 awarded in malpractice cases, and 10 percent for anything above that.

[b]My take: [/b] Any way to reduce the insane paychecks these ambulance chasers get is fine with me. However, this does have little effect in the grand scheme of things. Lawyer fees are already capped in the state of Florida, this does reduce that cap some. The true test to reduce frivolent lawsuits would come as part of a loser pays amendment along with some (not sure myself) means of cap on the actual AWARD (ie. pain & suffering / punitive damages). It will, I think, reduce the number of sleazy attorneys out there that are filing these types of lawsuits. My final analysis is that I am still up in the air on this one.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Four - Slot Machines[/b] Taxing current slot machines.

[b]My take:[/b] I think this is a ruse by the gambling conglomerates to try and weasel their way into full blown legalized gambling in the state of Florida. And you know what? I say bring it. The supposed real issue on the ballot is that taxing the slot machines that are currently in use in those counties will provide a &#036;500 mm [u]suppliment[/u] to the education system. What comes to mind is that old lame R&R song.. "Once Bitten Twice Shy." They are promoting this as a true supplement (added into) the education budget in Fla. We saw what happened with the lottery. My synical side tells me that this just means something else will get cut. But hey, its worth a shot, even if it only works for one year, that &#036;500mm can go along way. Besides, HELL YES they should pay taxes&#33;

--------------------

[b]Amendment Five - Minimum Wage[/b] Increase from &#036;5.15 to &#036;6.15

[b]My take: [/b] This is a meaningless increase. It does nobody any good and does nobody any harm. If teenages want to feel good about making &#036;6.15 / hour then more power to them. If you are an adult and making &#036;6.15 / hour... you have bigger problems than your job.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Six - Repeal of High Speed Rail[/b]

[b]My take: [/b] Screw high-speed rail. We need LOCAL MASS TRANSIT upgrades / alternatives. I am sorry, but getting my ass to Tampa in 45 mins doesn&#39;t help me get to work any faster, which ironically takes me 45 mins.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Seven - Patients Right-to-know[/b] This would allow patients to review the records of past "adverse medical incidents" of doctors and medical facilities.

[b]My take: [/b] Plain and simple, this is a drive for lawyers to have more ammunition to create lawsuits where none should exist. Internal peer-review boards will be undermined. Although, I am not solidly against this one just yet.

--------------------

[b]Amendment Eight - Doctors Three-Strikes[/b] - Any doctor guilty of three malpractices is delicensed.

[b]My take: [/b] Another sure-fired way to increase lawsuits by attorneys. This will compel Doctors and Insurance carriers to settle, even the most frivolous of lawsuits in order to prevent a "malpractice" from appearing on record. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for&#33;

Here&#39;s my views, somewhat abreviated.

[b]ONE - YES[/b]

Quite simply, if my minor child is recieving treatment of any kind from any type of healthcare professional, it is my right to know about it. Whether it be an apendectomy or a couple stitches on a finger.

[b]TWO - YES[/b]

This gives the powers that be more time to go over the items that are going on a ballot for discussion and wording to make sure all the "I&#39;s" are dotted and "T&#39;s" are crossed. Seems like a logical request.

[b]THREE - YES[/b]

My one reservation on this is since it involves the percentage a lawyer can earn, does this mean they will ask for more to increase their payment?

[b]FOUR - YES[/b]

All this really does is give permission for Dade and Broward Counties to put a referendum on the ballot to tax slots in existing paramutuals and send the money to education.

[b]FIVE - NO[/b]

If someone at my job is making minimum wage and they are good and help make the company more profitable then they will get a raise anyway so they don&#39;t go elsewhere. If they suck, they still get a raise because of inflation. If the company is not anymore profitable, do you think the big boss will absorb the cost, or will I be out of a raise come evaluation time?

[b]SIX - YES[/b]

What "seemed like a good idea at the time" isn&#39;t.

[b]SEVEN - YES[/b]

I should be able to have the information on a physicians and facilities track record on a procedure I may need to have done.

[b]EIGHT - NO[/b]

Bad doctors will settle out of court, good doctors will leave to avoid the hassle. They are already leaving in droves as it is.