Thread: Those Classy Yankees Fans

I was at tonight's game, sitting in the left field bleachers. Given all the abuse that some sportswriters -- yes, you, Gasbag -- heaped on the Fenway fans during and after the '99 ALCS, I sure hope someone writes about the truly disgraceful behavior of Yankee fans tonight. In the bleachers, there were a couple MFY fans who kept yelling "you gorilla!" every time Ortiz came to bat. The other fans just laughed it up. And throwing bottles and baseballs from the second deck? It's amazing nobody got hurt.
    I recall a great many Yankees fans labelling Sox fans as classless in '99, and I think I recall people on this board referring to it at least once.

So are people here going to be hypocrites or honest?

Anyone who censured Sox fans in '99 has MORE reason to censure Yanks fans for this game.... Sox fans didn't necessitate riot police, and at least they were getting POed about legitimately questionable calls (I'm being polite, at least one was flat out wrong).

Can we put the "classy Yankee Fan" myth to bed? At least in reference to Sox fans.... for Yankees fans are certainly no classier than Sox fans are.

Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 20 2004, 01:19 AM

Can we put the "classy Yankee Fan" myth to bed? At least in reference to Sox fans.... for Yankees fans are certainly no classier than Sox fans are.
    Name another time when the Yankee fans have acted like this?

Ok then,you can't lump all Yankee fans with 5-10,000 iditos who acted a fool.

The fans tonight were fools,no question about it.

Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 20 2004, 02:19 AM
    I was at tonight's game, sitting in the left field bleachers. Given all the abuse that some sportswriters -- yes, you, Gasbag -- heaped on the Fenway fans during and after the '99 ALCS, I sure hope someone writes about the truly disgraceful behavior of Yankee fans tonight. In the bleachers, there were a couple MFY fans who kept yelling "you gorilla!" every time Ortiz came to bat. The other fans just laughed it up. And throwing bottles and baseballs from the second deck? It's amazing nobody got hurt.
    I recall a great many Yankees fans labelling Sox fans as classless in '99, and I think I recall people on this board referring to it at least once.

Anyone who censured Sox fans in '99 has MORE reason to censure Yanks fans for this game.... Sox fans didn't necessitate riot police, and at least they were getting POed about legitimately questionable calls (I'm being polite, at least one was flat out wrong).

I think both sides have their idiots ... like the cousin from hell every family avoids like the plague

But for the most part both sides know how to be passionate about their teams without acting like complete thugs

Tonite the thugs had their way at Yankee Stadium ... just like that cousin who embarrasses the family

As for the call, it was Arod's fault on both counts .....

1. He couldn't hit the ball hard in the clutch ... instead he offers some weak @$$ dribbler

2. The baseline belongs to the runner and Arroyo was in his path ... so he should have ran him over like a fright-train instead of getting cute

Smizz it was Sooth and a few others that said the Yankees do not have fans like that. They would not even admit a few. I found some fan incidents on the net, like throwing batteries at Rocker and a few others, but still they were steadfast Yankee fans are not like that or even NY fans in general.

GJH - #2 is so very true. It has to be a natural act, like going for homeplate.

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 20 2004, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 20 2004, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RichardSeymour@Oct 20 2004, 02:19 AM
    I was at tonight&#39;s game, sitting in the left field bleachers. Given all the abuse that some sportswriters -- yes, you, Gasbag -- heaped on the Fenway fans during and after the &#39;99 ALCS, I sure hope someone writes about the truly disgraceful behavior of Yankee fans tonight. In the bleachers, there were a couple MFY fans who kept yelling "you gorilla&#33;" every time Ortiz came to bat. The other fans just laughed it up. And throwing bottles and baseballs from the second deck? It&#39;s amazing nobody got hurt.
    I recall a great many Yankees fans labelling Sox fans as classless in &#39;99, and I think I recall people on this board referring to it at least once.

Anyone who censured Sox fans in &#39;99 has MORE reason to censure Yanks fans for this game.... Sox fans didn&#39;t necessitate riot police, and at least they were getting POed about legitimately questionable calls (I&#39;m being polite, at least one was flat out wrong).

I think both sides have their idiots ... like the cousin from hell every family avoids like the plague

But for the most part both sides know how to be passionate about their teams without acting like complete thugs

Tonite the thugs had their way at Yankee Stadium ... just like that cousin who embarrasses the family

As for the call, it was Arod&#39;s fault on both counts .....

1. He couldn&#39;t hit the ball hard in the clutch ... instead he offers some weak @&#036;&#036; dribbler

2. The baseline belongs to the runner and Arroyo was in his path ... so he should have ran him over like a fright-train instead of getting cute [/b][/quote]
    Baseline belongs to the runner. A-Rod should have driven over him. Jeter would have been on at least 3rd, setting up 1st and 3rd, 1 out.

Looks tough for the Yankees, but they can still do it. It takes 1 big time hit, which has been lacking for 3 days.

The 8th inning of game 5 was a killer for the Yanks. A-Rod not hitting the ball with a man on 3rd and 1 out, and Gordon walking Millar after he had him 0-2 in the count. Also, why did they pitch to Ortiz then? 2 run lead, roll the ball up there.

Veteran
    Over the last 10 years the security at the Stadium, especially the right field bleachers has been excellent, too bad a few idiots ruin it for everyone else, most people that go to games are good, alwasy a few exceptions in every city.

Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 20 2004, 03:19 AM
    Sox fans didn&#39;t necessitate riot police,
    the riot gear was unneccesary to beign with.

Originally posted by HBJETFANBOB@Oct 20 2004, 10:26 AM
    Over the last 10 years the security at the Stadium, especially the right field bleachers has been excellent, too bad a few idiots ruin it for everyone else, most people that go to games are good, alwasy a few exceptions in every city.
    I agree. I have sat in section 333 many times, and sometimes in 329, or nearby. These are in RF, main level, not far from the bleachers. Close enough to get a view of what&#39;s going on there. And usually these guys are under control. Loud?Yes. Tough language? Yes. Throwing things? Never.

There were several hundred idiots at the game last night, and they ruined it for everyone. That&#39;s the story. Nothing more or nothing less. They ruined the general rep that Yankee fans have, which is that they display good behavior at the ballpark.

Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 20 2004, 09:56 AM
    Baseline belongs to the runner. A-Rod should have driven over him.
    True, but Harold Reynolds read the manual verbatim and if the runner punches, slaps, etc. etc at the ball they are out.

It has to be a natural act.

Originally posted by PFSIKH+Oct 20 2004, 11:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PFSIKH &#064; Oct 20 2004, 11:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mbn007@Oct 20 2004, 09:56 AM
    Baseline belongs to the runner. A-Rod should have driven over him.
    True, but Harold Reynolds read the manual verbatim and if the runner punches, slaps, etc. etc at the ball they are out.

It has to be a natural act. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s exactly right. No arguing there.

But, baseline belongs to the runner. Put your head down and charge up there. Mankiewitz will be called for obstruction, as any photo clearly shows that he has both feet in the baseline, facing A-Rod, between A-Rod and the bag. See today&#39;s NY Post, print edition. They have a very clear shot.

Worse case, 1st and 2nd. If Arroyo drops the ball when A-Rod levels him, it&#39;s probably 1st and 3rd.

But, this is all done with. The hard work for both teams over the past 7 and 1/2 months boils down to 9 innings tonight, starting at 8:20 P.M.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Matt39+Oct 20 2004, 11:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Matt39 @ Oct 20 2004, 11:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RichardSeymour@Oct 20 2004, 03:19 AM
    Sox fans didn&#39;t necessitate riot police,
    the riot gear was unneccesary to beign with. [/b][/quote]
    with all the sox/yanks hatred seeing police in riot gear actually made me laugh. I guess that&#39;s how intense the rivalry is getting.

Last night was disgraceful and it was extremely embarrassing to myslef as a Yankee fan. There is no excuse for that behavior, I don&#39;t care if an ump made a bad call(in this case it was the proper call) to cost us Game 7 of the WS, you DO NOT start endangering the livelihood of others. It was a complete disgrace.