Thread: Anybody read yesterdays Washington Post?

Tom The Nader Fan™
    In yesterdays post, a private citizen paid for a full paged ad to explain why he is a republican.

I'd love to get a printout of this. Thanks!

Wish you'd told me sooner. Just used it to wipe my ass. Sorry.

All League
    [url=http://www.whatiam.net/]http://www.whatiam.net/[/url]

A co-worker placed it on my chair yesterday.

You’re a Republican???

In today’s America, ask a growing number of high school and college students; their teachers and professors; the self-anointed media elite and/or hard working men and women of all ethnicities, the question, “What is a Republican?”, and you’ll be told “… a rich, greedy, egotistical individual, motivated only by money and the desire to accumulate more and more of it, at the expense of the environment … the working poor ….and all whom they exploit…”

I am a Republican … I am none of those things… and I don’t know any Republicans who are.

WHAT I AM … first and foremost, is a loving husband of some 52 plus years, the father of four and an American who’s proud of his country… and his country’s heritage.

WHAT I AM … is the grandson of immigrants who risked everything, including their lives and those of their children, to escape tyranny in search of freedom.

WHAT I AM … is a man who grew up during the Depression and witnessed, first hand, the effects of the Stock Market crash and the soup lines that followed. I watched as both my parents and grand parents, who had very little themselves, share what food they had with a half dozen other families, who had even less.

WHAT I AM … is someone who worked his way through college by holding down three and four jobs at a time and then used that education to build a better life.

WHAT I AM … is a husband who, at age 24, started his own business for the “privilege” of working 60, 70 and 80 hours a week, risking everything I had, including my health, in search of a better life for myself and my loved ones.

WHAT I AM … is a businessman whose blood, sweat and tears…. and plenty of them…, made it possible for me to provide a secure living, not only for my family and myself, but also for literally hundreds of my employees throughout the years. Employees, who in turn, were able to buy their own homes, raise their own families and give back to their communities and their country.

WHAT I AM … is a man who believes in God; a God who has blessed this country… and all for which it stands.

WHAT I AM … is someone who knows, if you doubt miracles exist in today’s world, you need only to look into the face of those who received them … and the eyes of those who give them.

WHAT I AM … is an American who’s proud that his President embraces a belief in God; proud of a President who understands, as “politically incorrect” as it may be, there is evil in this world and for the security and safety of all freedom loving people everywhere, it must be confronted… and it must be defeated.

WHAT I AM … is an American who takes comfort in the knowledge that our President refuses to allow decisions concerning the very safety and security of this nation, to be governed by the political whims of foreign governments.

WHAT I AM … is tired of hearing from leading Democrats who see only negativity in America; racism in her people; class warfare in her society and “political incorrectness” in her character.

WHAT I AM … is a former democrat who now understands that it is the soldier and not the reporter that guarantees us our freedoms of press, speech and dissent.

WHAT I AM … is a man who believes in the sanctity of life. A man who is repulsed by the pandering of the political left for votes, at the expense of the unborn.

WHAT I AM … is a husband and father who believes in the sanctity of marriage and the preservation of the family unit.

WHAT I AM … is a movie go-er who is repulsed by those insecure, socially inept, elementary thinking, ego-inflated “entertainers” who have appointed themselves “experts” in the fields of national security and geo-politics and then use their forum to attack this nation, its leaders and its actions…. much to the delight and encouragement of our enemies.

WHAT I AM … is an American who understands the difference between “censorship” and “choice”. Evidently, these individuals do not, because when these same “celebrities” receive public ridicule for their offensive actions, the first thing they yell is “Censorship!”. What they seem incapable of understanding is… the right of free speech and dissent is shared equally by those offended… as well as those who offend. I support and will continue to support those films and performers whom I choose to … and refuse to support those I don’t. It is my right as an American … a right I will continue to enthusiastically exercise.

WHAT I AM … is a voter, tired of politicians, who, every time their voting records are subjected to public scrutiny, try to divert attention from their political and legislative failures by accusing their opponents of “attack ads” and “negative campaigning”…. and the news media who allow them to get away with it.

WHAT I AM … is a Catholic who loves his God and his Faith… and who’s been taught to respect all religions whose teachings are based in love, peace and charity. As such, I am embarrassed and ashamed of those individuals, in both private and public life, whose decisions and actions are devoid of any sense of character or morals; individuals who are only driven by what’s best for them … rather than what’s right … often times at the expense of many …. including our national security.

WHAT I AM … is a realist who understands that the terrorist attack that murdered hundreds of innocent Russian children could have occurred here, in our heartland. That’s why I sincerely believe America needs now, more than ever, a President who sees with a clear and focused vision and who speaks with a voice when heard by both friend and foe alike, is understood, respected and believed.

WHAT I AM … is eternally grateful to Ronald Reagan for having the bravery to speak out against Communism and the courage of his convictions in leading the fight to defeat it; and George W. Bush for the vision, courage, conviction and leadership he has shown in America’s war on terrorism amidst both the constant and vicious, personal and political attacks both he and his family are made to endure.

WHAT I AM … is a human being, full of numerous faults and failures, but a man nonetheless, who, though not always successful, has continually strived to do “what’s right” instead of “what’s easy”. A man who is challenging the religious leaders of all faiths, to not only preach to their congregations the fundamentals of “what’s right” and “what’s wrong”, but to also then hold them accountable for their actions in both the public and private sectors.

WHAT I AM … is disgusted with the Courts who, on one hand, call the murder of a pregnant woman a “double homicide” but then refer to the abortion of her baby as, “pro-choice”.

WHAT I AM … is someone deeply troubled by a political party which embraces a candidate whose primary “leadership” qualities center around his protesting of the Vietnam war and his labeling the honorable men and women who fought in it, (50,000 of whom gave their lives in that action), as rapists, and war criminals. That same political party then stepped forward this year to block the appearance of a true Vietnam war hero, retired Admiral and former United States Senator, Jeremiah Denton, (a man who spent seven years and seven torturous months in a North Vietnam prison), from speaking before an open session of the California legislature as part of that state’s 4th of July celebration. The reason Democrats gave for refusing to allow this American hero to speak before their state legislature was because of the “conservative” nature of his views. As an American, that troubles me deeply ….as well it should you.

WHAT I AM … is a man who feels the need to spend, $104, 655.60,(tax paid) of his own money, to purchase this advertisement, in order to set the story straight. Some may say this money would have been better spent feeding the world’s poor. At the risk of sounding self-serving, as an American and as a Republican, for the last six decades of my life, I have done exactly that… and more. Following the examples of my parents and grand parents, I have used my earnings to feed the poor, shelter the homeless, provide housing for the elderly and medical care for the sick….. and continue to do so… and I’m not alone in that work.

WHAT I AM … is someone who is paying for this announcement, at my sole expense, in hopes of opening the eyes of those led blindly by ill-informed elements of our great nation, who, through either ignorance, or malicious intent, repeatedly attack and belittle those of us who belong to a political party that holds true to the belief, “… the rights of the governed, exceed the power of the government”. For those interested, I am speaking only as a tax-paying individual who is in no way associated with The Republican National Committee, nor with any of its directors, or delegates.

WHAT I AM … is a man who understands, “the American way of life” is a message of self-empowerment for all.

WHAT I AM … is an American who is grateful that our nation gives each of us the opportunity of self-determination and the right to benefit from the fruits of self achievement.

WHAT I AM … is an American who wants to preserve that way of life for all who seek it.

WHAT I AM … is blessed to be an American…. and proud to be Republican.

George J. Esseff, Sr.
    [email]george@esseff-foundation.org[/email]

For a free reprint of this “Open Letter,” go to [url]www.whatiam.net[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 12:43 PM
    [b] You’re a Republican???

In today’s America, ask ... “What is a Republican?”, and you’ll be told “… a [b]rich[/b]..."

I am a Republican … I am none of those things… [/b][/quote]
    right, he's poor, he just shelled out 6 figures for a full page ad in the NYT...

All League
    [b]WHAT I AM … is a human being, full of numerous faults and failures[/b]

You sure this guy is a Republican. He admits that he has faults and makes mistakes.

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 11:43 AM
    [b] [url=http://www.whatiam.net/]http://www.whatiam.net/[/url]

A co-worker placed it on my chair yesterday.

[/b][/quote]
    Thanks.

[img]http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/manson/atkins1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/manson/houten1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/manson/krenwinkel1.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://images.washtimes.com/photos/web/20041011-103443-7408.jpg[/img]

[quote][b]WHAT I AM … is a man who [u][b]feels the need to spend, $104, 655.60,(tax paid) of his own money[/b][/u], to purchase this advertisement,
    [/b][/quote]

What he is? A rich man who obviously has wealth beyond the reach of 90% of the American people. If I had 100K to blow on a Political Ad, I would likely be a Republican too, since that party is historically very friendly to the wealthiest citizens in our Nation (no judgement, just a fact).

As for the rest, it is very well written and hits all the things that make being a Republican sound so good, even if alot of it is actually meaningless and empty advertising jargon (of the political variety) used to sell any product.

Before the Jetsinsider posting police lock this topic.. I want to say God Bless America where a man still has the Freedom to Say such things in a public Forum.
    And thanks to George Bush the people of Iraq can today.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!!!

[quote][i]Originally posted by GreenBlood[/i]@Oct 22 2004, 11:56 AM
    [b] Before the Jetsinsider posting police lock this topic.. I want to say God Bless America where a man still has the Freedom to Say such things in a public Forum.
    And thanks to George Bush the people of Iraq can today.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!!! [/b][/quote]
    You are right, Iraqi Freedom has so far cost AMERICAN taxpayers something along the lines of 90 BILLION dollars and over 1000 American lives to-date. And that total will only grow as our action there continues.

Not for American Freedom or Safety, since no one can prove the Iraq war has made us any safer from terrorist attack. And we are actually LESS free today than were were pre-9/11, due to our fears of another attack, something the Iraq war in no way can be shown to have averted.

So your statement is correct. Iraqi freedom and devlopment has cost America dearly, in lives and money, not to mention international support. Only time will tell if that "investment" was nearly worth the benifits gained.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 22 2004, 12:25 PM
    [b]
    Not for American Freedom or Safety, since no one can prove the Iraq war has made us any safer from terrorist attack. And we are actually LESS free today than were were pre-9/11, due to our fears of another attack, something the Iraq war in no way can be shown to have averted.

[/b][/quote]
    Not to pick on you, but what the hell are you talking about here? No one can [i]prove[/i] that the Iraq War has made us safer? Of course that is true, so what?That implies that we can prove conclusively just how "safe" we were prior to the war, just how "safe" we are now, and compare the two conditions. Both notions are absurd. No one can "prove" that we are any more or less safe.....

Similarly, the same limitations apply to your second and more declarative statement regarding how we are less "free" today. We're less "free" due to our fears of another attack? Huh? No one had any fears of a domestic terror attack prior to this Iraq War? How are YOU "less free" because of the Iraq War?? How do you know the Iraq War can in no way be shown to have averted another attack? How can we know it has averted another one? We don't "know" and can't "prove" these types of things by their very nature. You're just flapping your gums, buddy, like the rest of us. You are presenting nothing but unsupported opinion as if it were conclusive fact....

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 22 2004, 12:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 22 2004, 12:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 22 2004, 12:25 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]
    Not to pick on you, but what the hell are you talking about here? No one can [i]prove[/i] that the Iraq War has made us safer? Of course that is true, so what?That implies that we can prove conclusively just how "safe" we were prior to the war, just how "safe" we are now, and compare the two conditions. Both notions are absurd. No one can "prove" that we are any more or less safe.....

Similarly, the same limitations apply to your second and more declarative statement regarding how we are less "free" today. We&#39;re less "free" due to our fears of another attack? Huh? No one had any fears of a domestic terror attack prior to this Iraq War? How are YOU "less free" because of the Iraq War?? How do you know the Iraq War can in no way be shown to have averted another attack? How can we know it has averted another one? We don&#39;t "know" and can&#39;t "prove" these types of things by their very nature. You&#39;re just flapping your gums, buddy, like the rest of us. You are presenting nothing but unsupported opinion as if it were conclusive fact.... [/b][/quote]
    I knew I&#39;d hear from you on this one :D , so I&#39;ll try to elaborate:

The Iraq war, in my opinion, has done nothing to make American Citizens in America any more (or less) safe than we were prior to the war.

--The WMD&#39;s we were led (by both parties) to believe were soon to be headed our way either never existed (slihgtly doubtful) or were shipped out before the war started (in which case, they are now in terrorist hands, exactly the reason we supposedly wanted to go into Iraq in the first place). In either case, no improvement to American safety.

--The Saddam regime was never an active threat to the United States, only to our financial interests in the Middle East, and our ally in Israel. He could fire as many missle as he liked at our planes, he was never going hit them. His millitary was in shambles and his threat level was all talk, no real threat to anyone. Again, no change to U.S. safety for his removal.

--Finally, the war is claimed to be one part in our somewhat amorphous "War on Terror". I have seen nothing that shows me this war has improved our overall position vis-a-ve the War on Terror. Terrorists are still just as motivated (if not more so) to destroy America today as they were pre-Iraq war. There are just as many terrorists today as there were pre-Iraq war (again, if not more). I simply do not believe the U.S. Govt stats that we have "destroyed" 80% of AQ. And Iraq is now a hotbed of insurgents that can Attack American soldiers at will. Pre-Iraq war, that was not the case, obvioulsy.

Now, for the second issue:

--Many of the laws passed and legal powers granted since 9-11 have curtailed the rights of American citizens. Things like the PPatrot Act certainly didn;t increase my rights and freedoms as an American. You may disagree, but I cannot see how you could claim we are "more free" today than we were before. Yes, 9-11 was a legitimate issue, however I simply do not accept that American Citizen rights need to be curtailed to provide us the safety we crave. Again, I certainly understand you may disagree, on both premices of this issue (that these laws took rights away and that they were indeed needed).

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 22 2004, 01:51 PM
    [b] --Many of the laws passed and legal powers granted since 9-11 have curtailed the rights of American citizens. Things like the PPatrot Act certainly didn;t increase my rights and freedoms as an American. You may disagree, but I cannot see how you could claim we are "more free" today than we were before. Yes, 9-11 was a legitimate issue, however I simply do not accept that American Citizen rights need to be curtailed to provide us the safety we crave. Again, I certainly understand you may disagree, on both premices of this issue (that these laws took rights away and that they were indeed needed). [/b][/quote]
    Cite some cases where you have been Hurt by the Patriot Act Fish??
    Or even where someone you know was..I&#39;ll wait.. :rolleyes:

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 09:52 AM
    [b] Wish you&#39;d told me sooner. Just used it to wipe my ass. Sorry. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s a good thing your boy John Kerry didn&#39;t pack a grenade launcher on his little hunting safari in Xenia, Ohio, the other day.

Last time he had one of those in his hands, he got trigger happy and blasted a bag of rice.

Tell ya what, doc... Why don&#39;t you get your tweezers and a magnifying glass and see if you can find any more "shrapnel" in that goofy f*kers ass?

[img]http://www.firefightersforkerry.com/images/KerryShooting.jpg[/img]
    [b]WHAT A JACKASS[/b]

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Oct 22 2004, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Oct 22 2004, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 22 2004, 01:51 PM
    [b] --Many of the laws passed and legal powers granted since 9-11 have curtailed the rights of American citizens. Things like the PPatrot Act certainly didn;t increase my rights and freedoms as an American. You may disagree, but I cannot see how you could claim we are "more free" today than we were before. Yes, 9-11 was a legitimate issue, however I simply do not accept that American Citizen rights need to be curtailed to provide us the safety we crave. Again, I certainly understand you may disagree, on both premices of this issue (that these laws took rights away and that they were indeed needed). [/b][/quote]
    Cite some cases where you have been Hurt by the Patriot Act Fish??
    Or even where someone you know was..I&#39;ll wait.. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    I havn&#39;t been. Never said I personally was, nor did I say anyone I know (a very limited group) has been.

[quote][b]It&#39;s a good thing your boy John Kerry didn&#39;t pack a grenade launcher on his little hunting safari in Xenia, Ohio, the other day.

Last time he had one of those in his hands, he got trigger happy and blasted a bag of rice.

Tell ya what, doc... Why don&#39;t you get your tweezers and a magnifying glass and see if you can find any more "shrapnel" in that goofy f*kers ass?[/b][/quote]

Yawn.

[img]http://www.bartcop.com/102004war.gif[/img]

Tom The Nader Fan™
    Gobbles, how do you vote for a guy who:

1. Has his portrait in a Viet Nam museum, recognizing his efforts in helping the communist North Vietnamese defeat imperial USA.

2. Spent 4 months in Viet Nam and acquired 3 purple hearts, for self inflicted wounds and then went home, where he bad mouthed the other guys over there.

3. Tried to derail Reagan&#39;s efforts to break the Soviet Union

4. Voted against a death penalty for convicted terrorists

5. Talks about how important UN approval is, and yet, voted against Desert Storm in 1991, which met every criteria he says he is a believer in.

6. Was anti war until he needed to put some space between him and Howard Dean, and then became pro war. Now he&#39;s anti war again. He&#39;s all over the place.

Gobbles, the man is a scumball. He&#39;s an elitist snob, and a big phoney. He&#39;s a gigalo. The man has zero character. He&#39;s done nothing in his twenty years as a senator, and has made even less effort to try and do some of the things he&#39;s using to make Bush out to be a bad guy.

It&#39;s unbelievable. Stop with the BS, already. Not much on the menu, it&#39;s Bush or Kerry.

And if you&#39;re gonna pull the lever Kerry, there isn&#39;t enough clorox or brillo to scrub the slime off.

You will be putting this nation in harms way, and you will be serving notice to the left wing communists that their corrupt, deceitful methods of forwarding their duplicitous agenda meet your approval.

It&#39;s disgusting. It&#39;s revolting. You want to put a guy in the Oval office who will be beholden to George Sorros.

Look at Kerry&#39;s wife. My God, man. Are you that batty?

When did character stop being relevant?

If that phony bastard Kerry becomes President, then all I can say is you will rue the day you voted for that dumb POS.

That&#39;s no consolation, because I&#39;m gonna be breathing fallout, too.

Michael Moore is right, most Americans are stupid f@@ks. He&#39;s got the box office receipts to prove it.

[quote][b]Gobbles, how do you vote for a guy who:

1. Has his portrait in a Viet Nam museum, recognizing his efforts in helping the communist North Vietnamese defeat imperial USA.

2. Spent 4 months in Viet Nam and acquired 3 purple hearts, for self inflicted wounds and then went home, where he bad mouthed the other guys over there.

3. Tried to derail Reagan&#39;s efforts to break the Soviet Union

4. Voted against a death penalty for convicted terrorists

5. Talks about how important UN approval is, and yet, voted against Desert Storm in 1991, which met every criteria he says he is a believer in.

6. Was anti war until he needed to put some space between him and Howard Dean, and then became pro war. Now he&#39;s anti war again. He&#39;s all over the place.

Gobbles, the man is a scumball. He&#39;s an elitist snob, and a big phoney. He&#39;s a gigalo. The man has zero character. He&#39;s done nothing in his twenty years as a senator, and has made even less effort to try and do some of the things he&#39;s using to make Bush out to be a bad guy.

It&#39;s unbelievable. Stop with the BS, already. Not much on the menu, it&#39;s Bush or Kerry.

And if you&#39;re gonna pull the lever Kerry, there isn&#39;t enough clorox or brillo to scrub the slime off.

You will be putting this nation in harms way, and you will be serving notice to the left wing communists that their corrupt, deceitful methods of forwarding their duplicitous agenda meet your approval.

It&#39;s disgusting. It&#39;s revolting. You want to put a guy in the Oval office who will be beholden to George Sorros.

Look at Kerry&#39;s wife. My God, man. Are you that batty?

When did character stop being relevant?

If that phony bastard Kerry becomes President, then all I can say is you will rue the day you voted for that dumb POS.

That&#39;s no consolation, because I&#39;m gonna be breathing fallout, too.

Michael Moore is right, most Americans are stupid f@@ks. He&#39;s got the box office receipts [/b][/quote]

yawn

Thanks for concisely summarizing the rethug talking points. I was afraid that I was going to have to endure another long winded diatribe by 5ever but you saved me.

[url=http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/6562575?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single7&rnd=1098381631874&has-player=true&version=6.0.11.780]http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story...sion=6.0.11.780[/url]

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Oct 23 2004, 07:22 AM
    [b]
    yawn

Thanks for concisely summarizing the rethug talking points. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t give a crap who&#39;s talking points they are. The fact remains, that John Kerry stood before a senate committee in 1971 and told a bunch of lies about people and events in Viet Nam, and he knows he was lieing because he was reciting a speech prepared for him by a guy who wasn&#39;t even in Viet Nam.

This isn&#39;t an isolated incident. This is an example of John Kerry&#39;s despicable behavior.

The guys a no good son of a *****.

[quote][b]I don&#39;t give a crap who&#39;s talking points they are. The fact remains, that John Kerry stood before a senate committee in 1971 and told a bunch of lies about people and events in Viet Nam, and he knows he was lieing because he was reciting a speech prepared for him by a guy who wasn&#39;t even in Viet Nam. [/b][/quote]

Ho hum.

[img]http://www.bartcop.com/102304war.gif[/img]

Tom The Nader Fan™
    The 1980s were critical for the Western Hemisphere. During that decade President Ronald Reagan took a firm stand against Soviet imperialism and Cuban sponsored communist subversion in Central America and the Caribbean. Thanks to Reagan’s resolute policies opposing communist expansion in the region, the Hemisphere moved decisively toward democracy in the 1990s.

Where was Senator John Kerry during this time? Kerry was leading the opposition to Reagan’s pro-democracy policies, sabotaging Reagan and coddling communist dictators and guerillas alike.

Reagan set the tone early on when he liberated the island nation of Grenada in 1982 from a radical communist gang supported by communist Cuban troops. Reagan also supported the embattled democratic government of Napoleon Duarte in El Salvador in its fight against communist terrorists.

President Duarte, a Christian Democrat, was struggling to defeat the communist guerillas while trying to reign in right wing paramilitaries. Elsewhere Reagan, with bipartisan congressional support, aided the Nicaraguan anticommunist resistance movement, known as the Contras, opposing the fledgling communist Sandinista dictatorship led by Daniel Ortega.

Reagan’s resolute support for the Contras eventually pressured the Sandinistas into holding elections and the communists were quickly swept from office. With American assistance El Salvador also forced the communist insurgents to the negotiating table and strengthened its fragile democracy. Today, both El Salvador and Nicaragua are strong U.S. allies in the region. Both vibrant democracies have had troops fighting alongside Americans in Iraq.

Yet, at the time Kerry referred to Reagan’s rescue mission to Grenada as “a bully’s show of force against a weak, third-world nation.” A constant critic of US support for the El Salvador’s democratic government, Kerry was never known to have publicly criticized Cuban intervention in Central America or spoken harshly of Soviet imperialism. But Kerry’s worst moment came in Nicaragua.

In 1985 John Kerry, just a few months into his first Senate term, accompanied fellow Vietnam era radical Senator Tom Harkin on an unauthorized free-lance “fact-finding” mission to Nicaragua where they both met with communist strongman Daniel Ortega. The two “negotiated” with Ortega and returned to the US with a fanciful “peace” proposal co-authored with Ortega.

Kerry’s effort to disarm the Contras was ridiculed by many of his fellow senators, but the House of Representatives shortly thereafter gave Kerry his wish and voted against aid to the Contras.

A week after the vote Daniel Ortega figuratively slapped Kerry and the US House in the face when he flew to Moscow and received &#036;200 million in Soviet military and other assistance. An embarrassed American Congress quickly reversed itself and approved Reagan’s request for Contra funding. Part of Kerry’s problem seemed to be a reflexive affinity for communist groups; the other was his obsession with Vietnam.

Kerry then, as today, mistakenly saw the specter of Vietnam in every conflict. "Do we want to see the body bags coming back again?" asked Kerry about Nicaragua, as he later asked about the first Gulf War in 1991. But neither Central America nor Iraq was anything like Vietnam. Reagan’s policies worked and Central America is now free as a result.

Kerry never learned from his mistakes. More recently, when a popular rebellion against a strongman flared in the Caribbean, Kerry again sided with a dictator. While Kerry has complained loudly against Bush’s alleged “unilateralism” in Iraq, Kerry stated in March that he would have sent troops (unilaterally if necessary) to help the corrupt Jean Bertrand Aristide put down a revolt in Haiti by his own people.

Attempting to sound tough and decisive, Kerry told the New York Times in February that as President “I would have been willing to send troops immediately, period.” He added that if he had been in Mr. Bush&#39;s shoes, "I would not have allowed it to arrive at where it was," with mobs roaming the streets of Haiti&#39;s cities.”

Most observers understood however that the crisis in Haiti grew from Aristide&#39;s own dictatorial actions and his sponsorship of the marauding gangs not any US policies. The United States simply decided not to prop up Aristide after he had lost all his legitimacy. But Kerry’s statements on Haiti (as with his regular demeaning statements about American allies in Iraq) have had an effect far beyond the presidential campaign.

Augusto Heleno, the Brazilian general commanding the UN peacekeepers sent to restore order after Aristide’s departure, complained recently that Senator Kerry’s inappropriate comments had offered "hope" to Aristide supporters that should Kerry win in November the former Haitian president might be restored to power. This has fueled unrest by Aristide goons. Dozens of people have been killed in the violence in recent weeks.

The Cold War may be over, but Kerry’s misguided sympathy for dictators and radicals in the Americas continues. Based on this record how can Kerry be trusted to be on the right side of democracy in the future?

[b]AN EARACHE MY EYE[/b]