Thread: Pro Athlete Busted with Weed

Omigod, an NBA player busted with pot. Stop the presses. I'm still amazed Ricky Williams got nailed. Like the famous Nick Nolte line in North dallas Forty "You want to throw me out over weed? Hell, if you threw every guy out of the league who smoked weed you couldn't field a punt return team."

[url=http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7815362]http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7815362[/url]

Anthony says marijuana found in backpack belonged to friend

Oct. 21, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

DENVER -- Carmelo Anthony was cited for marijuana possession before getting on a team flight last week, but the Denver Nuggets' star says the drug was left in his backpack by a friend.

Anthony was issued a summons last Friday at Denver International Airport; he flew with his teammates to Milwaukee for the next day's preseason game but didn't play.

Anthony's attorney, Daniel Recht, said the marijuana was left in the bag by an out-of-town friend who borrowed the backpack last week.

"The friend obviously uses marijuana and left a small amount in the backpack when he returned it to Carmelo," Recht said Thursday. "Carmelo had no idea there was any marijuana in the backpack."

Anthony was charged with possessing less than 1 ounce of marijuana, a petty offense with a maximum $100 fine and no jail time. He was in Los Angeles for a preseason game Thursday against the Clippers and not immediately available for comment.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I was waiting for The Corey Dillon excuses when I read that article. All athletes use them. You know.

"I was guilty by association"..... "Supposedly, They said. I did it" and the old standy...." I was 14".

Hall Of Fame
    If you watch the NBA, just know going in the kind of people you're supporting.

I just don't get it-why when they have security out the wazoo this rich idiot walks through an airport with pot. It's not like you can't find pot in Denver or LA. Why travel with it? How freakin' stupid is that?

Bugg- you're right. Just get somebody in your entourage to carry your weed to the next city for you. Or Fed-Ex it to all the hotels on your road trip. Or just ask one of the guys on the home team and let him know you'll get him back when he comes to your city. This isn't rocket science.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 11:13 AM
    [b] If you watch the NBA, just know going in the kind of people you're supporting.
    [/b][/quote]
    yeah Pot heads are only in the NBA everyone in the NFL is a bible thumping virigin

All Pro
    I swear it ain't mine.......

"I only make millions of dollars a year, so we share backpacks. You know how it is" :lol:

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Oct 21 2004, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Oct 21 2004, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bugg[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 11:13 AM
    [b] If you watch the NBA, just know going in the kind of people you&#39;re supporting.
    [/b][/quote]
    yeah Pot heads are only in the NBA everyone in the NFL is a bible thumping virigin [/b][/quote]
    cough cough....josh evans...cough cough

[quote][i]Originally posted by regen[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 11:22 AM
    [b] Bugg- you&#39;re right. Just get somebody in your entourage to carry your weed to the next city for you. Or Fed-Ex it to all the hotels on your road trip. Or just ask one of the guys on the home team and let him know you&#39;ll get him back when he comes to your city. This isn&#39;t rocket science. [/b][/quote]
    fed ex it? thats brilliant.

so thats how you do it huh?

All Pro
    i don&#39;t know what the big deal is with professional athletes smoking weed. its not exactly a performance enhancing drug, and its amazing that people like josh evans have been suspended for puffin reefer when other guys are juicing and smoking crack rocks. i&#39;d rather have pro&#39;s smoking herb than going out drinking anyways, it&#39;s much healthier.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Hitting yourself in the head with a one-pound hammer is "healthier" than hitting yourself in the head with a five-pound hammer.

That doesn&#39;t make it a good idea.

Hall Of Fame
    At least NFL players know they&#39;re playing with fire if they get caught, which is a possibility. NBA players have zero fear of getting caught or any consequences if they do. Geez, drug dealers would never hang out with or pass inside information onto the bookies they know, would they? heck, there&#39;s nothing the story like"NBA security has opened and investigation. Anthony faces a 15-game suspension for violating the NBA drug policy".