Thread: So who owns the media?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cleveland 'Plain Dealer' Decides to Not Decide

By Shawn Moynihan

Published: October 26, 2004 9:45 AM EDT

NEW YORK Discussions at the Cleveland Plain Dealer to resolve an impasse between the paper's editorial board and its publisher about who to endorse for president have ended with a Tuesday morning editorial announcing the paper would back neither Bush nor Kerry.

"We believe our readers are perfectly capable of making an informed, rational decision by their own lights," the editorial concludes, "and we strongly urge them to do so."

The paper's editorial board, as E&P first revealed, decided last week that it wanted to endorse Sen. John Kerry, but Publisher Alex Machaskee, who has final say, prefers President George W. Bush. The paper backed Bush in 2000.

Indeed, this morning's editorial confirms, "A majority of the editorial board favored Kerry, but after long and difficult deliberations, it was decided that the better path would be to sit this one out." It does not mention Machaskee's role in this.

"We believe our readers are perfectly capable of judging" Bush's conduct as president, the editorial declared, "and deciding whether Bush's flaws bother them more than Kerry's ambiguities."

Shirley Steinman, the Plain Dealer's director of community affairs, insisted Monday that the paper had not yet chosen a candidate for endorsement and that a decision would be made "later this week," but the editorial ran a few hours later.

Since Sunday, the Plain Dealer had been deluged with e-mails, according to three sources. The e-mails, noted Brent Larkin, the Plain Dealer's editorial page editor, came not just from readers, but from all over the country.

When asked whether public opinion had any bearing on the paper's decision process in choosing a candidate, Larkin responded, "Not even a little bit."

In this unusually divisive election, many other newspaper boards have been split down the middle. Some have chosen not to endorse at all, while in other cases the publisher stepped in and cast the only vote that counted.

Tuesday editorial opened with: "In a year of deep political divisions, this newspaper's opinion section is experiencing deep divisions of its own." However, according to several sources, the editorial board clearly favored Kerry.

When asked Monday afternoon how negotiations were going between the editorial board and Machaskee, Larkin said, "'Negotiations' is not the right word. We're all in this together."

Regardless of the paper's choice, "It's exciting no matter what," said Plain Dealer Metro Columnist Regina Brett, who noted that the Cleveland community is buzzing about the paper's impending endorsement. "People in Cleveland are really solid readers of the paper," she noted.

If Machaskee deflected the Plain Dealer editorial board's choice, it reportedly won't be the first time: In the 2002 gubernatorial race, according to Plain Dealer insiders, Machaskee decided the newspaper would endorse Bob Taft despite the editorial board's preference for his opponent, Tim Hagen.

flushingjet
    what are you trying to say. If one conservative paper owner endorses Bush, or doesnt endorse kerry, theres still the vast majority of local liberal papers out there (wire-service parrots that they are) that support Kerry. The print ("old") media in the country is overwhelmingly liberal and this doesnt change that fact

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by flushingjet[/i]@Oct 26 2004, 03:14 PM
    [b] The print ("old") media in the country is overwhelmingly liberal and this doesnt change that fact [/b][/quote]
    I suppose you would parrot Right Wing Radio when they call themselves (and Online Bloggers) the "New Media"?

The difference is that your so-called "New Media" makes NO attempt whatsoever to be impartial or neutral at all in their reporting (or non-reporting). They have chosen not only a side in the great political, social and moral debate, but a somewhat extremist version of that side, and report everything based on that deep seated bias.

It is ironic that some Conservatives complain the loudest and the longest about the "Evil Left-Wing Media Bias", yet if they had their way, the incredably biased Rush's and Hannity's and Ingrams and Savages of the world would BE the only Mainstream media.

It seems bias in media is fine, as long as the bias works in your favor, eh? :blink:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Oct 26 2004, 05:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ Oct 26 2004, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-flushingjet[/i]@Oct 26 2004, 03:14 PM
    [b] The print ("old") media in the country is overwhelmingly liberal and this doesnt change that fact [/b][/quote]
    I suppose you would parrot Right Wing Radio when they call themselves (and Online Bloggers) the "New Media"?

The difference is that your so-called "New Media" makes NO attempt whatsoever to be impartial or neutral at all in their reporting (or non-reporting). They have chosen not only a side in the great political, social and moral debate, but a somewhat extremist version of that side, and report everything based on that deep seated bias.

It is ironic that some Conservatives complain the loudest and the longest about the "Evil Left-Wing Media Bias", yet if they had their way, the incredably biased Rush&#39;s and Hannity&#39;s and Ingrams and Savages of the world would BE the only Mainstream media.

It seems bias in media is fine, as long as the bias works in your favor, eh? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Fish..I know your Smart enough to know the difference between
    Right Wing entertainers (As they Call themselves) Like Rush,Hannity
    and Savage etc That say what they are compared to the NY Times,CBS
    CNN, and the rest that are supposed to be reporters that report Factual
    News not crap they make up to try to change a election&#33; If Rather,Jennings
    and Brocaw would just come out and say their Liberal Dems with a Agenda
    then and only then would then would they be as honest as the people you
    mentioned who ARE NOT REPORTERS&#33;&#33; :rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Oct 26 2004, 05:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Oct 26 2004, 05:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Warfish@Oct 26 2004, 05:52 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-flushingjet[/i]@Oct 26 2004, 03:14 PM

It is ironic that some Conservatives complain the loudest and the longest about the "Evil Left-Wing Media Bias", yet if they had their way, the incredably biased Rush&#39;s and Hannity&#39;s and Ingrams and Savages of the world would BE the only Mainstream media.

It seems bias in media is fine, as long as the bias works in your favor, eh? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Fish..I know your Smart enough to know the difference between
    Right Wing entertainers (As they Call themselves) Like Rush,Hannity
    and Savage etc That say what they are compared to the NY Times,CBS
    CNN, and the rest that are supposed to be reporters that report Factual
    News not crap they make up to try to change a election&#33; If Rather,Jennings
    and Brocaw would just come out and say their Liberal Dems with a Agenda
    then and only then would then would they be as honest as the people you
    mentioned who ARE NOT REPORTERS&#33;&#33; :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    The problem Sav, is that those "entertainers" want to have it both ways. They often claim THEY are the future of news media, that the "Evil left wing Liberal Media" or the "Old Media" will soon be extinct, to be replaced with Bloggers and Right-Wing Radio expanding into TV. They claim only THEY speak the truth, that the things they report on are the be all, end all of truth. They call all major media (except Fox, who gets grudging respect) dishonest and biased, and claim they themselves aren;t biased at all, just truthful.

But, as you say, they then turn around and claim they are just "entertainers", and the things they say cannot and should not be put to the same test as the Major Mainstream media.

It is they who want it both ways Sav, not I. You are correct, I AM smart enough....to know Leftist bias when i see it and extreme Right Wing bias (on the radio) when I hear it.

I do have one question Sav......how does Right-Wing Radio get around Campaign laws regarding Media time for candidates and their commercials? Rush, Ingram, Liddy et al are ALL actively promoting Bush hardcore. My local talky stations are basically 24 hour a day Campaign commercials for Bush. How is it that they can do that? This is a serious question, I really don&#39;t get that.

flushingjet
    The key point is, the right-wing hosts are far more credible. CBS as to keep lying and worse not admit to it when they are caught. Do you ever listen to the major news media outlets radio news at the top of the hour/half hour?-phrases like "critics of the Govt"; "experts say" "some say", and "Kerry leads in the (X) poll" are all intoned implying fact. And while you are whining about election laws, well, how does all the pro-Kerry sentiment expressed in other parts of the paper like the Gossip column, Arts & Entertainment, or Comics Sections, even in conservative papers get through and avoid being considered electioneering? how does F-911 get around being another Kerry campaign ad. I think if you go out & vote for Nader youd prove you were not influenced by big media of any stripe

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 26 2004, 06:39 PM
    [b]

I do have one question Sav......how does Right-Wing Radio get around Campaign laws regarding Media time for candidates and their commercials? Rush, Ingram, Liddy et al are ALL actively promoting Bush hardcore. My local talky stations are basically 24 hour a day Campaign commercials for Bush. How is it that they can do that? This is a serious question, I really don&#39;t get that. [/b][/quote]
    Have you seen Bush or Cheney on Leno, Regis, Letterman, John Stewart, et. al?

No? We&#39;ll call it even.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]The key point is, the right-wing hosts are far more credible. CBS as to keep lying and worse not admit to it when they are caught. Do you ever listen to the major news media outlets radio news at the top of the hour/half hour?-phrases like "critics of the Govt"; "experts say" "some say", and "Kerry leads in the (X) poll" are all intoned implying fact. And while you are whining about election laws, well, how does all the pro-Kerry sentiment expressed in other parts of the paper like the Gossip column, Arts & Entertainment, or Comics Sections, even in conservative papers get through and avoid being considered electioneering? how does F-911 get around being another Kerry campaign ad. I think if you go out & vote for Nader youd prove you were not influenced by big media of any stripe [/b][/quote]

To imply Right-Wing radio is more "Credible" is patently rediculous. Their bias is so deep and wide that they could never admit anything that contravenes Extreme Conservative thought.

As for the rest, I agree. F/911 and SOME of the content of the Newspapers is also what I would term "campaigning" for one candidate over the other. However, those pieces don&#39;t usually come anything close to the gung-ho Pro-Con/Anti-Lib propaganda found in the "New Media". The differences in extremity between the two defy such a simple comparison.

And since I will be voting Libertarian, I can say with surety that the effect of both the Mainstream leftist media, and the extremist Right-Wing "New" Media have both had no effect on me beyond making me more disillusioned about the true gorals and motivations of the two major parties.

[quote][b]Have you seen Bush or Cheney on Leno, Regis, Letterman, John Stewart, et. al?

No? We&#39;ll call it even. [/b][/quote]

So in your eyes, a single vanilla appearance on Leno or Regis (usually about 10 minutes worth of airtime by the candidate themselves, who says nothing extremem at all (since they can&#39;t) and is usually extremely lame) is equal to 24 hour a day, 7 day a week extremist Conservative coverage on Right-Wing Radio?

I would have to disagree with that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    warfish, the difference is ridiculously clear.

Hannity, Limbaugh and their ilk clearly state that they are firmly in one camp. They are NOT news outlets. They are commentators.

CBS, The New York Times and their ilk parade around like they&#39;re unbiased, straight-shooting news disseminators, yet in so many cases their bias is more extreme to anyone paying even passing attention. What is the last tough question you&#39;ve heard John Kerry asked by ANYONE?

Seriously fish, answer that last question.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Have you seen Bush or Cheney on Leno, Regis, Letterman, John Stewart, et. al?

No? We&#39;ll call it even.
    [/b][/quote]

Who said the president wasn&#39;t invited on any of those shows?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]When was the last time Bush answered any questions&#33;[/b][/quote]

No child left behind&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the point of the original post...

What a travesty&#33;&#33;

Letting people decide for themselves?&#33; WTF??

You&#39;re right. What a tremendous abuse of position.