Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush shunning the World

All League
    [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3958665.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3958665.stm[/url]

Bush website blocked outside US.

Surfers outside the US have been unable to visit the official re-election site of President George W Bush. The blocking of browsers sited outside the US began in the early hours of Monday morning.

Since then people outside the US trying to browse the site get a message saying they are not authorised to view it.

The blocking does not appear to be due to an attack by vandals or malicious hackers, but as a result of a policy decision by the Bush camp.

The international exclusion zone around georgewbush.com was spotted by net monitoring firm Netcraft which keeps an eye on traffic patterns across many different sites.

Netcraft said that since the early hours of 25 October attempts to view the site through its monitoring stations in London, Amsterdam and Sydney failed.

By contrast Netcraft's four monitoring stations in the US managed to view the site with no problems.
    The site can still be seen using anonymous proxy services that are based in the US. Some web users in Canada also report that they can browse the site.

The pattern of traffic to the website suggests that the blocking was not due to an attack by vandals or politically motivated hackers.

Geographic blocking works because the numerical addresses that the net uses to organise itself are handed out on a regional basis.

On 21 October, the George W Bush website began using the services of a company called Akamai to ensure that the pages, videos and other content on its site reaches visitors.

Mike Prettejohn, president of Netcraft, speculated that the blocking decision might have been taken to cut costs, and traffic, in the run-up to the election on 2 November.

He said the site may see no reason to distribute content to people who will not be voting next week.

Managing traffic could also be a good way to ensure that the site stays working in the closing days of the election campaign.

However, simply blocking non-US visitors also means that Americans overseas are barred too.

Akamai declined to comment, saying it could not talk about customer websites.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/technology/3958665.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/tech...ogy/3958665.stm[/url]

Published: 2004/10/27 13:18:40 GMT

BBC MMIV

Hall Of Fame
    Sounds reasonable. Whats the problem?

There is limited bandwidth, jackasses will certainly do everything they can to try to bring it down so why not limit access to those that are voting?

I say good for you!

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetFanTransplant[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 01:43 PM
    [b] Sounds reasonable. Whats the problem?

There is limited bandwidth, jackasses will certainly do everything they can to try to bring it down so why not limit access to those that are voting?

I say good for you! [/b][/quote]
    Not every elligible voter resides within the U.S. borders.

The guy has raised the most money ever for a Presidential campaign, he is spending something like 40 million in commercials this week. It is not a money issue.

I thought this guy believes in freedom?

[quote][b]Sounds reasonable. Whats the problem?[/b][/quote]

Just One Thing: There are a large number of voters who are American Citizens living or working abroad (who legally have the right to vote, my mother in Ireland being an example) and also U.S. Millitary and Govt. Personel also outside of the U.S. (who all have the right to vote too).

These Americans should have access to this site. By banning ALL non-U.S. access, many American Citizens are being denied information they may need in order to cast an informed vote.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:47 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Sounds reasonable. Whats the problem?[/b][/quote]

Just One Thing: There are a large number of voters who are American Citizens living or working abroad (who legally have the right to vote, my mother in Ireland being an example) and also U.S. Millitary and Govt. Personel also outside of the U.S. (who all have the right to vote too).

These Americans should have access to this site. By banning ALL non-U.S. access, many American Citizens are being denied information they may need in order to cast an informed vote. [/b][/quote]
    Denied information from a campaign site?

What is there that isn't available somewhere else.

Please stop. This is just sad.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 01:47 PM

These Americans should have access to this site. By banning ALL non-U.S. access, many American Citizens are being denied information they may need in order to cast an informed vote. [/b][/quote]
    Thats not the only issue, the issue for me is it shows the administrations true character. Once again as Dick Cheney would put it, they are saying to the rest of the the world "Fuc% Off."

Bush doesn't give a rats ass about anyone but his base.

He is employing the same tactics as his "free speech zones." It is really quite pathetic.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Piper[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 11:54 AM
    [b] Denied information from a campaign site?

What is there that isn't available somewhere else.

Please stop. This is just sad. [/b][/quote]
    What's really sad is the knee-jerk suppression of information that the Neo-Cons consistantly advocate. Everywhere they're in charge they suppress information.

Truly pathetic.

Thank God this time next week Bush will be reduced to lame duck status.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by valleyjet+Oct 27 2004, 01:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (valleyjet @ Oct 27 2004, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Piper[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 11:54 AM

What is there that isn&#39;t available somewhere else.

What&#39;s really sad is the knee-jerk suppression of information that the Neo-Cons consistantly advocate. Everywhere they&#39;re in charge they suppress information.

Truly pathetic.

Thank God this time next week Bush will be reduced to lame duck status. [/b][/quote]
    &#036;5 says that if he loses he will pardon his good buddy Kennath Lay.

Hall Of Fame
    My God, you guys are INSANE&#33; This is actually getting to be hysterical. What a bunch of cry-babies. Boo-freakin-hoo.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:04 PM
    [b] My God, you guys are INSANE&#33; This is actually getting to be hysterical. What a bunch of cry-babies. Boo-freakin-hoo. [/b][/quote]
    These people will latch onto anything&#33; Next they&#39;ll be blaming Bush for their favorite shows getting cancelled.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000+Oct 27 2004, 12:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (chiefst2000 @ Oct 27 2004, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:04 PM
    [b] My God, you guys are INSANE&#33; This is actually getting to be hysterical. What a bunch of cry-babies. Boo-freakin-hoo. [/b][/quote]
    These people will latch onto anything&#33; Next they&#39;ll be blaming Bush for their favorite shows getting cancelled. [/b][/quote]
    What did I tell you, Chiefs? Shakin&#39;s links prove it - Democrats have actually begun blaming Bush for the [i]weather[/i]. It&#39;s AMAZING to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by valleyjet+Oct 27 2004, 11:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (valleyjet @ Oct 27 2004, 11:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Piper[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 11:54 AM

What&#39;s really sad is the knee-jerk suppression of information that the Neo-Cons consistantly advocate. Everywhere they&#39;re in charge they suppress information.

Truly pathetic.

Thank God this time next week Bush will be reduced to lame duck status. [/b][/quote]
    Not nearly as bad as trying to keep books off the bookshelves, commercials of the free airwaves, federally prosecute free speech and supressing first ammendment rights of Americans and decorated veterans at that.....all tactics used by the rats when dealing with the SwiftBoatVeterans for truth...and all with the acceptance and applause of kerri and his campaign

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 27 2004, 12:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 27 2004, 12:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by chiefst2000@Oct 27 2004, 12:07 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:04 PM
    These people will latch onto anything&#33; Next they&#39;ll be blaming Bush for their favorite shows getting cancelled. [/b][/quote]
    What did I tell you, Chiefs? Shakin&#39;s links prove it - Democrats have actually begun blaming Bush for the [i]weather[/i]. It&#39;s AMAZING to me. [/b][/quote]
    I just hope that the American people aren&#39;t fooled by these cheap parlour tricks.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 27 2004, 02:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 27 2004, 02:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by chiefst2000@Oct 27 2004, 12:07 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:04 PM
    What did I tell you, Chiefs? Shakin&#39;s links prove it - Democrats have actually begun blaming Bush for the [i]weather[/i]. It&#39;s AMAZING to me. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m glad he did this, it shows his true nature. If he wants to alienate potential voters and the rest of the world that is fine by me.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I expected a meltdown as election day grew nearer, but damn.....

How does this help Bush? How does it hurt Kerry?

Frankly, all this does is draw attention away from the important issues, such as how Bush is responsible for the increase in shark attacks on the southern shore of Oahu, and how Cheney is reaping incredible profits every time I have to tear my milk cartons open in a forceful, sloppy way because the glue sealing them shut during packaging has been applied too heavily.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+Oct 27 2004, 11:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper &#064; Oct 27 2004, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:47 PM

Denied information from a campaign site?

Are you actually defending the denial of access to American Citizens to the offical G.W. Bush campaign site? :blink:

This isn&#39;t a partisan attack Piper, even though you seem to want to make it out to be one. If John Kerry and the Democrats did the same thing, I would criticize them the exact same way. American Citizens living or working abroad should have access to this most basic information source. While it is true that this info may be available elsewhere, the official campaign site is the official source, bar none, for information on the candidate in his own (and his own party&#39;s) words.

Anyway, IMO it&#39;s in the Republican Party&#39;s best interests to appeal to these international American voters, since a good portion of them may vote Kerry. MY mother is only one such Kerry voter (even though I tried repeatedly to dissuade her.......)

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:24 PM
    [b] If he wants to alienate potential voters and the rest of the world that is fine by me. [/b][/quote]
    Potential voters? Like, the French? The Germans? Get your head out of your ass. The election is in a week. There could be foreign hackers who&#39;d love to disrupt the Bush website for attention - why leave the target? I&#39;d be unconcerned with any oversea voters who haven&#39;t made up their mind yet, probably less than than a three digit number.

I&#39;d be even less concerned about foreigner&#39;s opinions on the Bush website. There are alternative information sites, like the Jetsinsider political forum, where liberals have amazing insight and suggestions for wars and battles fought last year. Unfortunately, their grip on today and tomorrow is rather weak. They even hope Kerry will win&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    This is a non-story. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get over themselves and grow up, period. This is embarassing.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 11:46 AM
    [b] Not every elligible voter resides within the U.S. borders.

[/b][/quote]
    Which means that they used and overseas absentee ballot if they voted... which is most likely already in the mail.

This is a nothing story. Keep grasping.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 27 2004, 12:36 PM
    [b] This is a non-story. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get over themselves and grow up, period. This is embarassing. [/b][/quote]
    You are correct Jets5 that this is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but re-read my 2nd post.......I am not trying to be partisan at all. I think this hurts the Bush campaign more than it could possibly help. While minor, it is still not a good tactic. You are being unusually close minded and harsh on this one IMO.