Thread: Rob Ray says that he will cross the lines

and be a scab for the NHL. Well, hes retired and has had his brains scrambled for a dozen years, but its nice to hear someone in that sport finally put is p*cker on the line and state what a lot of players may feel: The NHLPA is NOT as united as Goodenow says.

I don't know how united they are, but the owners stink for forcing this lockout. The NHL can't take this kind of hit. I foresee contraction if this continues.

As an Islander fan I am all for replacement players, Islander ticket prices are getting ridicuolous and I cant stand the thought of having to see Alexei Yashin for the next 7 years....

I root for the team not the players, Replacement players will benefit everyone except for the spoiled millionare athletes..............

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetsMetsIsles@Nov 1 2004, 01:08 PM
    As an Islander fan I am all for replacement players, Islander ticket prices are getting ridicuolous and I cant stand the thought of having to see Alexei Yashin for the next 7 years....

I root for the team not the players, Replacement players will benefit everyone except for the spoiled millionare athletes..............
    I doubt very much that we will see replacement players. Attendance and TV ratings with a few exceptions are miniscule and that for the best players in the world. No one will attend or watch replacement hockey. Unless the union cracks, the NHL owners will profit more from staging tractor pulls than they would staging replacement player games.

IMO the longer the lockout exists, the more different the NHL will look when/if it comes back.

I wouldnt be suprised to see either the Devs/Isles as part of a contraction.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by sect112row36@Nov 1 2004, 01:11 PM
    I wouldnt be suprised to see either the Devs/Isles as part of a contraction.
    Na, I doubt they get contracted. Teams like Columbus and Atlanta would get shutdown first. The only way the Isles (no way the Devils do) get contracted is if the league eliminates an enormous amount of teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Bettman has repeatedly stated numerous times that contraction is NOT an option.

How he can say that with a straight face is beyond me

All Pro
    The problem with Scabs is that if some of them are young players rising in the minors, they will be looked down upon when the real players return. Look at Baseball for example, MLB was putting together many replacement players, which included Kevin Millar. When the players returned, Millar was criticized heavily and is still banned from the MLBPA. If the NHL gets any players, its going to be a bunch of has-beens or never weres.

Originally posted by Mavrik@Nov 12 2004, 02:22 AM
    The problem with Scabs is that if some of them are young players rising in the minors, they will be looked down upon when the real players return. Look at Baseball for example, MLB was putting together many replacement players, which included Kevin Millar. When the players returned, Millar was criticized heavily and is still banned from the MLBPA. If the NHL gets any players, its going to be a bunch of has-beens or never weres.
    Very true. Michael Peca was even quoted recently as saying replacement players would be "marked men" when (and if) the NHL resumed play with actual NHLers.

Not that Peca seems to hit anyone anymore

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Nov 12 2004, 05:16 AM
    Bettman has repeatedly stated numerous times that contraction is NOT an option.

How he can say that with a straight face is beyond me
    Took lessons from Clinton?

I think Pittsburgh, Carolina and Nashville could easily be lost. The thing is, Columbus outdrew two Original 6 teams in Boston and Chicago and several teams with modest to fair amounts of success in the league: Buffalo, NY Islanders, New Jersey.

Hockey is f'd. No one outside of Canada seems to care that it is gone.

Miami and Anaheim should be "cut loose" too.....Any replacement players, would come from the fringes of Hockey--ECHL and other leagues in Texas, ect...No prospect would dare play.