Thread: Question for Warfish

I was just on the Libertarian Party's webpage. I found myself agreeing w/ almost all of their economic & social positions. But I didn't see any mention of Iraq and their position on the broader war on terror was pretty ambiguous. So what is their position on these issues ? Sorry if you have stated this already.

I haven't, so no worries.

[quote][b] "Libertarians believe the answer to America's political problems is the same commitment to freedom that earned America its greatness: a free-market economy and the abundance and prosperity it brings; a dedication to civil liberties and personal freedom that marks this country above all others; [u][b]and a foreign policy of non-intervention[/b][/u], peace, and free trade as prescribed by America's founders."
    [/b][/quote]

That last line sums it up. Non-Intervention in foreign affairs unless absolutely neccessary. So, no Iraq War, no Protecting Israel, no Democratizing Iraq (and myabe no Democratizing Afganistan either), no meddling in the affairs of others at all, whenever possible.

However, attacking the Taliban and destroying the terrorists network behind 9/11 IS within Libertarian positions (IMO), as it is a direct defense of the U.S. from an agressor.

Isolationism seems to best sum up their views, I would say.

If anything, it is in immigration and defense the Libertarians fail me. While I AM something of an isolationist (and yes, I think a big cause of the ills in the M.E. today have to do with U.S. (and to be fair, other nations) playing chess with the various M.E. States for our own interests and pleasures and profit), I do NOT believe in it absolutlly as many Libertarians seem to. Sometimes intevention in the cause of good is a needed thing.

And the Libertarians are for open and unlimited immigration, which has some VERY obvious flaws. Not my favorite position, but it could have some positives (uh.......maybe not). Actually, since the Libertarians want to end Welfare completely, open immigration may not be so bad actually. It would take a whole thread to cover, but alot of it can be found on their website.

Hope that helps.

Also from the Libertarian Site (Under Taxes):

[quote][b]Libertarians believe that if [u]government's role were limited to protecting our lives, rights and property[/u], then America would prosper and thrive as never before. Then the federal government [u]could concentrate on protecting our Constitutional rights and defending us from foreign attack[/u]. A federal government that did only those two things, could do them better and at a small fraction of the cost.[/b][/quote]

Basically, Libertarians are Small Governemnt, Less Restriction Folks. They want the Government to remain out of most Americans lives, but to perform the most important function: Keeping our rights and freedom and lives safe, from enemies of any type.

Thanks. Pretty interesting. Can't say I agree w/ their foreign policy, but their economic platform is right on. Lower taxes, smaller gov't.