Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: What I'd like to see...

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    681
    For all the Repub's that have been claiming a "dominating victory" & "that there is no division amongst Americans" & using the red & blue state/county map as evidence..

    I'd love to see a map in which the color was determined by the margin of victory for W or Kerry.

    For example, If a county/state was won by 1% of the vote, the color would be closer to purple than red or blue, if it was a decisive margin, then use the red & blue we have now.

    I have a feeling that it would more accurately convey the feeling of the country, and I think the map would be more purple than red or blue.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    3,682
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Wolfe Jet[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 11:55 AM
    [b] For all the Repub's that have been claiming a "dominating victory" & "that there is no division amongst Americans" & using the red & blue state/county map as evidence..

    I'd love to see a map in which the color was determined by the margin of victory for W or Kerry.

    For example, If a county/state was won by 1% of the vote, the color would be closer to purple than red or blue, if it was a decisive margin, then use the red & blue we have now.

    I have a feeling that it would more accurately convey the feeling of the country, and I think the map would be more purple than red or blue.

    Thoughts? [/b][/quote]
    We can spin the results of the election anyway you want, but it doesnt change the fact that George Bush won by a decisive margin.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    681
    I don't think I'm trying to spin things, just diffuse what I believe is a misconception by some of the Repub's.

    W won. Bottom Line. No disputing that. I applaud their campaign, and am interested to read the behind the scenes article that Newsweek is putting out this week. It's obvious the GOP is soooo much better organized in election years.

    I just think the sentiment of "NE/CA vs. the rest of the country" is not accurate, and some are using the red/blue map as basis for that sentiment... I just don't think it's as clear-cut as they'd like it to be.

    Just something I was thinking about this am stuck at work...

    Personally, I think our political campaign system is drowning in it's own rhetoric & bitterness, where campaigns have denegrated into nothing but mud-slinging.

    Thanks for replying with your thoughts, JF80.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Wolfe Jet[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 10:55 AM
    [b] For all the Repub's that have been claiming a "dominating victory" & "that there is no division amongst Americans" & using the red & blue state/county map as evidence..

    I'd love to see a map in which the color was determined by the margin of victory for W or Kerry.

    For example, If a county/state was won by 1% of the vote, the color would be closer to purple than red or blue, if it was a decisive margin, then use the red & blue we have now.

    I have a feeling that it would more accurately convey the feeling of the country, and I think the map would be more purple than red or blue.

    Thoughts? [/b][/quote]
    First...go to CNN's election map- you can break it down by state then county and see the particular vote count in each county of that state.

    Second....as shown in the NY Slimes on Thursday there are no real true blue states...in fact just about every state is red but there are some very large blue areas in big city states.

    Kerri won Philadelphia county (Philly) by 400,000 votes...GWB won the rest of the state. kerri won the 5-boroughs by 1.1 million votes, GWB won the rest of the state...ditto for Cali with LA and SF.

    And by the way...GWB's lead is growing as we speak as they count the absantee ballots. In fact the President is about to surpass 60-million votes and projections have him topping the 61-million mark.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    681
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 11:54 AM
    [b] First...go to CNN's election map- you can break it down by state then county and see the particular vote count in each county of that state.

    Second....as shown in the NY Slimes on Thursday there are no real true blue states...in fact just about every state is red but there are some very large blue areas in big city states.

    Kerri won Philadelphia county (Philly) by 400,000 votes...GWB won the rest of the state. kerri won the 5-boroughs by 1.1 million votes, GWB won the rest of the state...ditto for Cali with LA and SF.

    And by the way...GWB's lead is growing as we speak as they count the absantee ballots. In fact the President is about to surpass 60-million votes and projections have him topping the 61-million mark. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the info CBtNY, I will check that out.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,665
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] kerri won the 5-boroughs by 1.1 million votes, GWB won the rest of the state... [/b][/quote]
    FWIW, kerry won traditional republican stronghold nassau county, suffolk, westchester, rockland as well... he didn't win SI, though, so only 4 of the 5 boros...

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,692
    Wolfe - I don't remember if it was the Boston Globe or the NY Times, but one of those papers had this exact map this weekend. It was essentially purple. If anything, it was slightly more 'reddish' that 'blue-ish' but I think it captured what you are talking about perfectly. I apologize for not remembering exactly where it was that I saw it, but maps like this are out there...I remember the guy in the article saying that the country really wasn't that divided, and his map was far more informative than simply dark red and dark blue....

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,477
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 7 2004, 05:57 PM
    [b] Wolfe - I don't remember if it was the Boston Globe or the NY Times, but one of those papers had this exact map this weekend. It was essentially purple. If anything, it was slightly more 'reddish' that 'blue-ish' but I think it captured what you are talking about perfectly. I apologize for not remembering exactly where it was that I saw it, but maps like this are out there...I remember the guy in the article saying that the country really wasn't that divided, and his map was far more informative than simply dark red and dark blue.... [/b][/quote]
    Yes! I just saw this purple map too on TV...thought it was shown on MSNBC but I didn't find anything on the website, will search some more.

    Found 2 out there:

    [url=http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/]http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/[/url]
    (this one is big, so didn't want to post the picture)


    [img]http://www.boingboing.net/images/th_Purple-USA.jpg[/img]

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    [quote][i]Originally posted by isired+Nov 7 2004, 04:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (isired &#064; Nov 7 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] kerri won the 5-boroughs by 1.1 million votes, GWB won the rest of the state... [/b][/quote]
    FWIW, kerry won traditional republican stronghold nassau county, suffolk, westchester, rockland as well... he didn&#39;t win SI, though, so only 4 of the 5 boros... [/b][/quote]
    First, GWB won Rockland, Suffolk was a head heat (49/49).

    How you consider Nassau a Republican stronghold since it borders Queens is beyond me and I live in Westchester...it is definitely NOT a Republican stronghold when it comes to Presidential elections.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    681
    Just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH to R.Tyme & 5ever for the links to those maps. That&#39;s exactly what I wanted to see. The Princeton one broken down by county is GREAT.

    For all those blind Elephants that claim a decisive, overwhelming victory for W, and agree with his "mandate", I&#39;d like to welcome you to Purple America. :blink:


    JON STEWART FOR PRESIDENT 2008&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,408
    Here is a nice set of maps.

    [url=http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/[/url]

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,408
    [img]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/statecart.png[/img]

    [img]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/county.png[/img]

    [img]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/maplinear.png[/img]

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,692
    Those are cool maps, thanks Section.

    I can&#39;t stand the simplicity of the Red/Blue maps...not informative at all....

    I like the By-County cartogram...informative.

  14. #14
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 10 2004, 01:54 PM
    [b] Here is a nice set of maps.

    [url=http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/[/url] [/b][/quote]
    First the truth now the map of the freakin United States&#33; Anything ELSE the libs want to distort?&#33;

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    8,682
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 10 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] Here is a nice set of maps.

    [url=http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/[/url] [/b][/quote]
    Only a UM grad could come up with something like that :D

  16. #16
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Wolfe Jet[/i]@Nov 10 2004, 11:21 AM
    [b] Just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH to R.Tyme & 5ever for the links to those maps. That&#39;s exactly what I wanted to see. The Princeton one broken down by county is GREAT.

    For all those blind Elephants that claim a decisive, overwhelming victory for W, and agree with his "mandate", I&#39;d like to welcome you to Purple America. :blink:


    JON STEWART FOR PRESIDENT 2008&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I wonder how many people voted for Kerry because they simply were against the war in Iraq. If that issue wasn&#39;t around to polarize people I think the map would have been a lote redder then it was. Libbys are in trouble and will continue to be untill they move to the center.

  17. #17
    [url=http://thechrisproject.com/images/map_nowvsthen.jpg]http://thechrisproject.com/images/map_nowvsthen.jpg[/url]

  18. #18
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,665
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Nov 9 2004, 11:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY &#064; Nov 9 2004, 11:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by isired@Nov 7 2004, 04:15 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] kerri won the 5-boroughs by 1.1 million votes, GWB won the rest of the state... [/b][/quote]
    FWIW, kerry won traditional republican stronghold nassau county, suffolk, westchester, rockland as well... he didn&#39;t win SI, though, so only 4 of the 5 boros... [/b][/quote]
    First, GWB won Rockland, Suffolk was a head heat (49/49).

    How you consider Nassau a Republican stronghold since it borders Queens is beyond me and I live in Westchester...it is definitely NOT a Republican stronghold when it comes to Presidential elections. [/b][/quote]
    if you grew up in suffolk, instead, you&#39;d know the truth. it&#39;s been shifting lately, but traditionally it&#39;s been completely republican - for a century.
    don&#39;t believe me? here&#39;s one of scores of google results...
    "SINCE IT WAS INCORPORATED in 1899, Nassau County, New York, boasted one of the most enduring and effective political machines in the history of American politics. Nassau Republicans held control of the county legislature for one hundred years (1899-1999). During that time, the county tolerated only two Democratic terms as County Executive and none since 1971."

    you may be right about rockland, i just [url=http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/NY/P/00/county.001.html#36087]looked at the checkbox[/url] near kerry&#39;s name, but the tabs indicate bush.

    when i posted, suffolk was 50/48, but even at 49-49, as i&#39;ve been reminded constantly by bush fans, there are no dead heats. kerry won suffolk by 1500 votes.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,408
    [img]http://www.esri.com/industries/elections/graphics/results2004_sm.jpg[/img]

  20. #20
    notice in areas with money, intelligence (universities), culture and population the overwhelming support for Kerry.

    The rural and suburban areas have grown because of the way of life that is suburban sprawl and the automobile. Without a constant supply of crude oil almost every single damn red state would be populationally insignificant. Yes cities need oil too but they could survive without it... not surprising that Bush would win the sticks, cause he&#39;s serving their agenda completely with these wars.

    this election came out to turnout and not enough young people showed up. Only 17% of the 18-25 year olds voted -

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us