Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: How Much Religion is Acceptable in Your Government?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • State Sponsored and Supported Religion (Christianity).

0 0%
  • No limitations on Religion or Religious Acticivity in Govt. (but but NO actual state sponsored Religion).

7 38.89%
  • Minor Limitations on Religion in Govt.

0 0%
  • Moderate Limitations on Religion in Govt.

3 16.67%
  • Severe Limitations on Religion in Govt.

2 11.11%
  • NO Religious Activity related to Govt.

6 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Religion in Government: Your Personal View?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Darkstar Rising[/i]@Nov 9 2004, 07:45 PM
    [b] Oh I KNOW you're telling people how you feel Ham. You are LOUD and CLEAR in that aspect of your postings in this forum.

Yet, oddly, when you are questioned for clarification on those LOUD and CLEAR positions, you suddenly act as if it is beneath you or somehow offends you to respond.

Of course, that is your right as well. I now fully understand your claimed position. Consider my questioning of you finished on this issue. [/b][/quote]
    Dark, I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant or stand-off-ish ... I simply shoot from the hip and sometimes that can be a little grading

I'll be more mindful to explain myself in greater detail if asked

Sometimes I assume that my initial statements make my position self evident ... considering how I shoot from the hip ... but if you ask me to clerify my positions in greater detail, I will henceforth make an attempt to do so

I hope you will accept my apologies if I seemed too abrasive

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Nov 9 2004, 06:49 PM
    [b] WHO CARES!!!!!

If it's a Muslim community, let them put up Muslim displays

If it's a Jewish community, ditto

If it's a Hindu community, ditto

And if it's a mixed community, let everyone freely display their symbols as they see fit

Seriously, who cares ... when did we become so damn sensitive in this country?

Why should folks have to look over their shoulder when displaying their symbols of faith, to make sure the ACLU isn't watching? :ph34r:

Let's stop making people feel like criminals for openly displaying symbols of their faith ... it's an absolute joke [/b][/quote]
    I have a good story for you GJ&H....just this past year I read an article where a local Christian college (Iona) was putting crosses back in the classrooms. I don't know why or when they took them down, maybe because their student population became broader and they thought they should (?) But I thought that was a twist to read in this day and age.

TomShane
    Considering that the Bible has been legitimately used to justify everything from the atrocities of the Crusades up through to the activities of the KKK (legitimate meaning, providing significant textual references from the Bibke), I think it's foolish for any government official to refer to the Bible on matters of policy. He'd be better off saying he hates gays because he read it in an Archie comic book. It's the same deal. Bush should go read some tea leaves or something instead. I'd believe him more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme[/i]@Nov 9 2004, 11:26 PM
    [b] I have a good story for you GJ&H....just this past year I read an article where a local Christian college (Iona) was putting crosses back in the classrooms. I don't know why or when they took them down, maybe because their student population became broader and they thought they should (?) But I thought that was a twist to read in this day and age. [/b][/quote]
    Shhhhhh, don't tell the ACLU or People for the American Way :ph34r:

Obviously the folks at Iona have lost the memo ... Thou shalt not make any open displays of religion :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Nov 9 2004, 07:49 PM
    [b] WHO CARES!!!!!

If it's a Muslim community, let them put up Muslim displays

If it's a Jewish community, ditto

If it's a Hindu community, ditto

And if it's a mixed community, let everyone freely display their symbols as they see fit

Seriously, who cares ... when did we become so damn sensitive in this country?

Why should folks have to look over their shoulder when displaying their symbols of faith, to make sure the ACLU isn't watching? :ph34r:

Let's stop making people feel like criminals for openly displaying symbols of their faith ... it's an absolute joke [/b][/quote]
    but ham, one argument you made against public schools teaching evolution was that your tax money should not go towards refuting your religion. isn't any public (meaning municipal) display depicting christmas, easter, etc. refuting judaism? why should jewish citizens tax dollars go to pay for that?

you have very little say as to what someone posts on their own property, but in a diverse society (that's still a goal for this country, right?) you've got to draw the line somewhere. i don't think having the ten commandments in a courthouse should offend anyone, but i also don't believe it belongs there. i think an individual (judge, etc.) can express his faith if he wishes, as i fell anyone should be able to at their workplace, but it should not be state sponsored.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the real issue is that the foundation of our country was basically Christianity not Islam, Buddhism, or any other religion. Whether all our forefathers were devout Christians is debatable, but they accepted the basic tenants of the Scriptures as evidenced by "we are endowed by our Creator." How many of our building in DC have Scripture references on them? Why are the 10 commandments on the walls of the Supreme Court? B/c our legal system is based on them, not Sharia or any other religious writings.

Our forefathers desire for freedom of religion was based on preventing a state-sponsored religion: that the state could NOT force you to adhere to a given religion.

So having Christian symbols on public property recognizes the part it played in our nation's history.

If a million non-Muslims immigrated to Saudi Arabia, should they have the right to force that govt. to abolish all Muslim symbols b/c it offends them? No! If they went to India should they have the right to abolish all religious symbols there? No! Same here. If you're an atheist or of a non-Christian religion, you should respect the fact of our nation's history and if you're afraid you might inadvertently convert to Christianity ( which is impossible) by seeing a manger scene or the 10 Commandments, you should leave.

The so-called Religious Right is not out to make Christianity the state religion. We want to maintain the biblical emphasis our country was founded upon. We believe that one of the reasons America is what it is today is b/c of its biblical basis. The Bible says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people."

If next Monday, everyone in the USA started living in obedience to the 10 Commandments would we be worse off than now?

The bottom line is that Hollywood and other Christophobes hate Christianity b/c they hate the 7th commandment.