Thread: When is enough enough?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ABC Affiliate Raises Indecency Concerns Over 'Private Ryan'
    Doug Halonen (Television Week)

Citing indecency concerns, ABC affiliate WOI-TV in Des Moines, Iowa, announced Wednesday that it will pre-empt the ABC TV Network's broadcast of "Private Ryan" Thursday evening-even though the broadcast was supposed to commemorate Veterans Day and the movie was widely considered to be a major artistic success.

"We regret that we are not able to broadcast a patriotic, artistic tribute to our fighting forces like 'Saving Private Ryan,' said Raymond Cole, WOI president. In a statement, Mr. Cole said the station's key concern is whether the movie-which contains adult language and graphic battleground violence-would run afoul of the Federal Communications Commission's new anti-indecency standards.

"Would the FCC conclude that the movie has sufficient social, artistic, literary, historical or other kinds of value that would protect us from breaking the law?" said Mr. Cole. "Can a movie with an 'M' rating, however prestigious the production or poignant the subject matter, be shown before 10 p.m.? With the current FCC, we just don't know."

Mr. Cole also said the station is concerned even though it has broadcast the movie in prime time twice previously without complaint.

"Adding to our frustration is the fact that a fine motion picture like 'Saving Private Ryan' can be shown on cable or satellite without any government agency restriction or regulation," Mr. Cole said. Also in his statement, Mr. Cole said other ABC TV affiliates in Boston, Orlando and Atlanta have also decided to pre-empt the movie.

In its own statement, ABC TV said it is proud to present the Academy Award-winning film again.

"In keeping with the first two Veterans Day commemorative telecasts in 2001 and 2002, this third telecast of 'Saving Private Ryan,' a true-to-life historical drama that depicts the harrowing and devastating realities of the men who fought to protect our country during World War II, will air in its complete, unedited theatrical version," ABC TV said. "As in the past, this broadcast will contain appropriate and clear advisories and parental guidelines, and, as customary, we will provide advance screenings for ABC affiliates and advertisers. The groundbreaking movie carries a TV-MA,L,V parental guideline."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whose fault is this?

Who runs the FCC again?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whose fault is this?

Who runs the FCC again?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 10 2004, 04:39 PM
    [b] Whose fault is this?

Who runs the FCC again? [/b][/quote]
    I hear you, but the nature of the rules are to not let people on the air that don't know when to say when contentwise. There's a difference between airing something because you CAN and deciding whether it's appropriate or not. This movie is more a piece of history than sensationalism.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about how "Ryan" assaults logic. They had radios in 1944! You didn't need to send a squad on a wild goose chase when you could've CALLED HIS UNIT.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Nov 10 2004, 10:50 PM
    [b] How about how "Ryan" assaults logic. They had radios in 1944! You didn't need to send a squad on a wild goose chase when you could've CALLED HIS UNIT. [/b][/quote]
    Bugg...read Ambrose's D-Day; The Day that Changed History.

They sent runners back and forth as in the mayhem officers, their communication men and/or people they were trying to call we all scattered or lost.

As far as this story is concerned it is total horsesh!t and someone is playing games...I've watched Saving Private Ryan on ABC in New York several times the past four years...intense opening 20-minutes, eff words included.