Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arnold In 2008....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Enrique Pallazzo[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 11:22 AM
    [b] What was the original reason for a immigrant not being able to become president anyway? Maybe the reason is simply obsolete. They're talking about putting a 20 year citizen residency on it anyway. The person would BE an American. He/she just would not have been BORN here. I don't want Arnold to run in 2008, but I don't see a problem with this amendment.
    [/b][/quote]
    I believe the intention was initially to eliminate foreign governments having undue influence over the Chief Executive and Commander in Chief. Is it pretty much obsolete? Probably. But my gut instinct would be against it.

One things for sure - any party that both offers illegals amnesty and allows non-natural-born citizens the ability to run for President sure locks up the Hispanic vote in the Southwest ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 01:44 PM
    [b]
    Putting Arnold aside, and making it Candidate X, I'd still be against amending the Constitution. As someone else mentioned, I think it opens a can of worms. [/b][/quote]
    What can of worms?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 02:00 PM
    [b]
    I believe the intention was initially to eliminate foreign governments having undue influence over the Chief Executive and Commander in Chief. Is it pretty much obsolete? Probably. But my gut instinct would be against it.

One things for sure - any party that both offers illegals amnesty and allows non-natural-born citizens the ability to run for President sure locks up the Hispanic vote in the Southwest ;) [/b][/quote]
    Exactly, which is why I think it's probably obsolete. I think the point is that this country was born of immigrants and developed as welcoming of immigrants. To say that an immigrant can't be elected to lead the country I see as somewhat hypocritical. I think, however, that's a broad statement and there are a lot of holes to be filled such as the illegal immigrant amnesty.