Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soldier killing the insurgent

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone see the footage of the American who sees an insurgent lying against a wall, unarmed (from what we see on camera), and apparently wounded? He then shoots him once in the head. The soldier is now being investigated and could possibly face criminal charges for the act. His reasoning apparently was that he thought the insurgent was faking his own death and was potentially armed. I know this could set off a firestorm, but I'm wondering what some of you think of this if you've seen it.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Kill em'.... Kill every one of the sons of *****es.... Blow their f@cking brains out....
    They aren't soldiers, they are TERRORISTS..... They would show the US soldiers NO mercy if the shoe were on the other foot....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends, its hard to know without actually being in the room.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 12:58 PM
    [b] It all depends, its hard to know without actually being in the room. [/b][/quote]
    That's the best answer right there...

Until we walk a mile in their boots, it's tough to say.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Buffboy+Nov 16 2004, 03:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Buffboy @ Nov 16 2004, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 12:58 PM
    [b] It all depends, its hard to know without actually being in the room. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s the best answer right there...

Until we walk a mile in their boots, it&#39;s tough to say. [/b][/quote]
    I agree 100% with that, BUT...
    do you think that military personnel should face criminal charges based on a possible bad judgement call? That was really the intent of my debate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Enrique Pallazzo+Nov 16 2004, 03:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Enrique Pallazzo @ Nov 16 2004, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Buffboy@Nov 16 2004, 03:07 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 12:58 PM

do you think that military personnel should face criminal charges based on a possible bad judgement call? That was really the intent of my debate. [/b][/quote]
    It all depends. If the the guy willfully shot a wounded guy who posed no threat and he simply did it out of vengance then yes, he should be prosecuted. If their was a viable threat posed in his opinion and the opinion of those around him then no he shouldn&#39;t face any consequences.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Nov 16 2004, 04:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Nov 16 2004, 04:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Enrique Pallazzo@Nov 16 2004, 03:37 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Buffboy@Nov 16 2004, 03:07 PM

do you think that military personnel should face criminal charges based on a possible bad judgement call? That was really the intent of my debate. [/b][/quote]
    It all depends. If the the guy willfully shot a wounded guy who posed no threat and he simply did it out of vengance then yes, he should be prosecuted. If their was a viable threat posed in his opinion and the opinion of those around him then no he shouldn&#39;t face any consequences. [/b][/quote]
    I just think we&#39;re getting into some serious danger holding the military accountable criminally. It will make them second guess every move they make which is something you CAN&#39;T do in the middle of a war. It&#39;s just some shakey ground we&#39;re treading on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Enrique Pallazzo+Nov 16 2004, 04:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Enrique Pallazzo @ Nov 16 2004, 04:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Nov 16 2004, 04:11 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Enrique Pallazzo@Nov 16 2004, 03:37 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Buffboy@Nov 16 2004, 03:07 PM

It all depends. If the the guy willfully shot a wounded guy who posed no threat and he simply did it out of vengance then yes, he should be prosecuted. If their was a viable threat posed in his opinion and the opinion of those around him then no he shouldn&#39;t face any consequences. [/b][/quote]
    I just think we&#39;re getting into some serious danger holding the military accountable criminally. It will make them second guess every move they make which is something you CAN&#39;T do in the middle of a war. It&#39;s just some shakey ground we&#39;re treading on. [/b][/quote]
    So you think a soldier should have the right to shoot someone, who poses no threat, in the head?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;ve seen the footage and some discussion on the news channels. The soldier should not face any consequences, not saying he won&#39;t but he shouldn&#39;t.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reporter who released that footage should be called out as the piece of garbage that he is. It&#39;s one thing to give the footage to the soldiers superiors for review. It&#39;s entirely different thing to release the tapes to Roiters so they can spend the next month smearing the US and calling our soldiers war criminals.

I remember another person who used to go around calling out soldiers war criminals. I can&#39;t remember his name though... He recently ran for president..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 04:22 PM
    [b] [/QUOTE]
    I just think we&#39;re getting into some serious danger holding the military accountable criminally. It will make them second guess every move they make which is something you CAN&#39;T do in the middle of a war. It&#39;s just some shakey ground we&#39;re treading on. [/QUOTE]
    So you think a soldier should have the right to shoot someone, who poses no threat, in the head? [/b][/quote]
    No, but I do think it&#39;s a hazy area as to when there&#39;s an actual threat. In this example the dead insurgent could quite possibly have booby trapped himself and there&#39;s simply no way for one of our soldiers to know that. I think he sided with caution and did what he needed to. BUT... I think that can easily be argued against and as a result he could be held criminally responsible. I just think that in this new age of warfare we need to revisit what may be or may not be an actual threat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Enrique Pallazzo[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 02:30 PM
    [b] No, but I do think it&#39;s a hazy area as to when there&#39;s an actual threat. In this example the dead insurgent could quite possibly have booby trapped himself and there&#39;s simply no way for one of our soldiers to know that. I think he sided with caution and did what he needed to. BUT... I think that can easily be argued against and as a result he could be held criminally responsible. I just think that in this new age of warfare we need to revisit what may be or may not be an actual threat. [/b][/quote]
    I was listening to discussion on this and they were saying that the day before there was a situation where there was a booby trap. On the tape, the fear in the voice is clear when it is said the insurgent is still breathing and was seen as a threat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 04:43 PM
    [b]
    I was listening to discussion on this and they were saying that the day before there was a situation where there was a booby trap. On the tape, the fear in the voice is clear when it is said the insurgent is still breathing and was seen as a threat. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah I heard that. The guy who shot him was also hit in the face the other day and patched up and sent back out the next day. Eight straight days of combat? He MAY have been a little skiddish.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme+Nov 16 2004, 02:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (R. Tyme @ Nov 16 2004, 02:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Enrique Pallazzo[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 02:30 PM
    [b] No, but I do think it&#39;s a hazy area as to when there&#39;s an actual threat. In this example the dead insurgent could quite possibly have booby trapped himself and there&#39;s simply no way for one of our soldiers to know that. I think he sided with caution and did what he needed to. BUT... I think that can easily be argued against and as a result he could be held criminally responsible. I just think that in this new age of warfare we need to revisit what may be or may not be an actual threat. [/b][/quote]
    I was listening to discussion on this and they were saying that the day before there was a situation where there was a booby trap. On the tape, the fear in the voice is clear when it is said the insurgent is still breathing and was seen as a threat. [/b][/quote]
    If this had happened prior to the election what do you think the reaction from Kerry and the left would have been?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 05:05 PM
    [b]
    If this had happened prior to the election what do you think the reaction from Kerry and the left would have been? [/b][/quote]
    I shudder to think...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    John ( loser elect ) Kerry would want to fry this guy for War Crimes. I heard from a reliable source that these scums are booby trapping the dead bodies and wounded bodies as well. So no better way to be sure than put a bullet in the brain.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfaninCO[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 05:47 PM
    [b] John ( loser elect ) Kerry would want to fry this guy for War Crimes. I heard from a reliable source that these scums are booby trapping the dead bodies and wounded bodies as well. So no better way to be sure than put a bullet in the brain. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah because that would stop a booby trap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Nov 16 2004, 05:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Nov 16 2004, 05:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetsfaninCO[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 05:47 PM
    [b] John ( loser elect ) Kerry would want to fry this guy for War Crimes. I heard from a reliable source that these scums are booby trapping the dead bodies and wounded bodies as well. So no better way to be sure than put a bullet in the brain. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah because that would stop a booby trap. [/b][/quote]
    I thought the same thing, except that if they ARE alive the detonation device may be controlled by the suicidal insurgent in which case, of course, the bullet WOULD help.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it would seeing most of the traps are on wounded terrorists scum that are left there to die by there own scum. So when we show up and try to help, they roll over with a grenade and Boom there goes our brave soldier.
    You put a bullet in them, then you can keep pressing on and look for another target.
    But, I&#39;m sure you like the idea of our GI&#39;s getting blown up and shot. Don&#39;t you lib.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfaninCO[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 06:01 PM
    [b] Yes it would seeing most of the traps are on wounded terrorists scum that are left there to die by there own scum. So when we show up and try to help, they roll over with a grenade and Boom there goes our brave soldier.
    You put a bullet in them, then you can keep pressing on and look for another target.
    But, I&#39;m sure you like the idea of our GI&#39;s getting blown up and shot. Don&#39;t you lib. [/b][/quote]
    oh stop now. Sec isn&#39;t anti American.