Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing outlawed in VA?

All League
    I was listening to the radio this afternoon and heard that legislators in Virginia are considering banning all recreational fishing because of new reports that indicate a huge decline in the fish population.

Tell us about your crazy lib idea why this is going on?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfaninCO[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 04:03 PM
    [b] Tell us about your crazy lib idea why this is going on? [/b][/quote]
    It was probably a movement started by a bunch of over-the-top enviromentalist libs.

flushingjet
    this is your brain on drugs. any questions?

Hall Of Fame
    This is the problem with enviromentalists. People assume enviromentalist lobbyists are just looking for the public good, when a lot of them are on an agenda like the so-called "greedy" lobbyists. Environmentalists will fight any fight just to get publicity, whether it is sound or not.

In Zell Millers recent book, he writes a great section on enviromentalists. He talks about Anwar and how its such a stupid fight to not drill over there. The people in Alaska don't care and to even go up there to visit costs a ton of money because you have to take 4 or 5 flights. He says sure its beautiful up there, but how many people are actuially experiencing it?

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 02:26 AM
    [b]The people in Alaska don't care and to even go up there to visit costs a ton of money because you have to take 4 or 5 flights. He says sure its beautiful up there, but how many people are actuially experiencing it?[/b][/quote]
    :blink: :blink:

I say let them fish til every last one is gone.

"Don't it always seems to go that you don't know what you got, til it's gone."

All League
    Well according to the Dominion Christians in the Bush administration the world is going to end soon.

I have heard nothing on this proposal here in VA. And at last check the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries has no info on this proposal either. I have also not heard anything regarding diminished stocks of wild fishes (of ANY gamefish species). In addition, fish stocking is done in large qualtities in VA (paid for by fishing licence fees), further bolstering the available stocks.

I have also not read anything in the fishing/environmental press regarding such a proposal, and believe me, if there was one, it would be in such publications immediately.

I can state without question that fishing is exceptionally popular in VA, so I do not lend much credence to this report. The economic damage to sporting goods stores alone (Such as Sports Authority, Wal-Mart, Galyans and the like) would be extreme, as they sell large qualtities of fishing related sporting goods in VA. Add in the tourism of rivers like the Potomac, Rappahannock, James, Occoquan and many more, and the lakes in the south and west of the state, and this becomes almost impossible to pass, economicly speaking.

Beyond that, hunting in now being activly encouraged by state managers, since the deer population here has exploded in recent years (since hunting participation IS actually down as of late). With that in mind, I doubt anyone would be looking to limit fishing here in VA.

The ONLY thing I can think of may be a limitation on some SALTWATER sportsfish, as the Mid-Atlantic states wrangle and debate over who owns them and why they are decreasing. Comercial fisherman seem to be the primary culprit, lthough some very questionable reports indicate recreational harvest may contribute more than previously thought. However, the source of this study is related to comercial interests (who constantly fight the recreational crowd, who wants cmercial harvest banned) that it must be taken with a grain of salt. In addition, the study was, if I recall, not specific to just VA, but to the Mid-Altantic region as a whole.

All League
    HAHAHAHAHAH It worked.

I'm sorry everyone, I made the story completly up because I knew it would draw Warfish backl.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 12:16 PM
    [b] HAHAHAHAHAH It worked.

I'm sorry everyone, I made the story completly up because I knew it would draw Warfish backl. [/b][/quote]
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now THAT'S some funny sh*t right there!!!!!!
    NICE, Section!!!!
    I didn't bite (no fishing pun intended).

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 09:16 AM
    [b] HAHAHAHAHAH It worked.

I'm sorry everyone, I made the story completly up because I knew it would draw Warfish backl. [/b][/quote]
    :lol: That what pretty damn clever.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Nov 16 2004, 04:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Nov 16 2004, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetsfaninCO[/i]@Nov 16 2004, 04:03 PM
    [b] Tell us about your crazy lib idea why this is going on? [/b][/quote]
    It was probably a movement started by a bunch of over-the-top enviromentalist libs. [/b][/quote]
    [b]PETA: Fish feel -- so don&#39;t eat them Animal-rights group is hoping for a sea change[/b]

By MIKE LEWIS
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

When it comes to fish, Paul Matson proudly asserts he&#39;s a stone-cold, unempathetic killer in a fleet town teeming with like-minded murderers.

"I stalk them, surround them, kill them and sell the flesh," he said while sitting on a bar stool at The Highliner, the bar at Fishermen&#39;s Terminal. "And I couldn&#39;t care one little bit what the rest of the world thinks about the hierarchy of sentient beings."

"The problem," he said, citing declining salmon prices, "isn&#39;t that people eat fish. It&#39;s that they don&#39;t eat enough of it."

Announced yesterday, PETA&#39;s fish-empathy campaign was prompted by recent scientific reports showing that fish have more complex brain patterns than previously thought. For example, one Oxford University study revealed that fish have detailed memories about surroundings.

Other studies point to evidence that social structures among some fish species are more elaborate then originally believed.

Armed with the knowledge that consumers, in part, helped change the tuna industry on the dolphin-safe issue, PETA now wants people to stop differentiating between the water-borne mammals they don&#39;t eat and the aquatic water breathers they do.

"We want people to think of the suffering of the fish," said Stephanie Bell, a Seattle resident and PETA&#39;s regional animal cruelty caseworker. Bell, 35, said up until 10 years ago, she, too, ate fish and meat. That was before she learned of the suffering of the animals to be consumed.

"It&#39;s something many people have not stopped to think about."

The push to change people&#39;s perception of fish -- viewed often as little more than silent, cold, nerveless, swimming plants -- marks a departure in strategy for the animal rights group while falling within its overall goal to stop the human consumption of other animals.

The campaign, which likely will include holiday picketing at seafood restaurants in Seattle and elsewhere, won&#39;t just focus on the ethics of eating animals but also on evidence that fish, sometimes with high mercury levels, for example, isn&#39;t always a healthy alternative to red meat and poultry.

"We are asking people to look at everything they eat in a holistic manner," Bell said. "Is it good for you? Is it good for the environment? Very often, the water these fish live in isn&#39;t fit for human consumption."

Even if the water were healthy, PETA representatives said, people simply wouldn&#39;t hook and eat their pets, would they?

Seattle brothers Mark and Conan Johansen fish for salmon on the 40-foot F/V Cora J with Dolly, their West Highland terrier. While it&#39;s true they wouldn&#39;t eat Dolly, "unless we run out of fish," Mark joked while glancing at the sleeping dog on the cabin floor, neither brother has an ethical problem treating some animals as food and others not.

Mark, a 40-year-old with a degree in biology, said he&#39;s not offended by PETA, he just strongly disagrees. "I&#39;m for humane killing for consumption only," he said. Conan, 38, allowed that he sometimes thinks about animal death when he&#39;s cleaning shrimp, but then he gets over it.

"Sometimes, I hate to kill it," he said. "But I will eat it."

In Seattle, both sides have a claim to a sympathetic community. In a recent Men&#39;s Fitness magazine survey, Seattle was voted the second-best city in the country for vegetarians, with two-dozen no-meat and vegan restaurants and grocery stores. (The first was San Francisco.) And a number of animal rights groups, such as the Humane Society, have sizable local affiliates.

But the fishing fleet, too, as with lumber, has ocean-deep roots in local commerce, culture and lifestyle. Indeed, as Matson noted, fishing didn&#39;t become a part of the community only after Seattle was founded in 1869.

Said Matson as he left the Highliner to return to the F/V Anita for today&#39;s salmon season: "Remember, people were fishing here for thousands of years before Seattle ever existed."

[url=http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/199991_fish17.html]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/199991_fish17.html[/url]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b][SIZE=4]I TOLD YOU&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: [/SIZE][/b]

PETA is flat out wrong-headed on this (and almost all) issues. The Human animal is DESIGNED (through a milenia of evolution) to eat and digest meat, both piscine and mammalian, as well as vegitation. Just because we choose to not eat Cats or Dogs does not somehow make it immoral to eat Cows or Trout.

Fish, by their very biology, lack the complexity of brain structures to feel "pain" as we understand it. They react in a purely reflexitive manner: they feel something tugging on them, so they react in a "fight or fligh" reflex. There is no "thinking" whatsoever by the fish. As with many lower animal species, fish act purely on instinct. While things such as memory (to a limited degree) and social structure do indeed exist, it is in no way a sign of anything resembling higher brain function.

For example, if fish had complex memory, do you really think that an individual fish could be cought again and again and again in their lives? By the same lure? Sometimes within days of each other? Of course not. Fish "memory" is a very short term, instinctive thing, nothing like our own or other higher mammalian memory functions. Check a fish&#39;s brain and you&#39;ll see they do not have the brain structures required for long term memory or complex reasoning or anything else associated with higher thought.

As to social structure, that is patently rediculous to use as a "reason" to not eat them. By social structure, they mean the inter-relationships between conspecifics of a species. In it&#39;s simplest terms, the biggest fish bulliets the littler fish, and holds the best feeding position. Just watch a tankful of Tetras or Danios and you will see this behaviour pattern. Again, PETA is trying to extend that very simple instinctive behavior into something approaching sentience. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Look, my G.F. is ex-PETA and a strict Vegetarian (no animals, no fish, no shellfish). She doesn&#39;t go the whole Vegan route, but is an Animal rights type who dislikes the killing of Animals for food. So I GET their side of this issue/argument. The problem with it is they want tu "humanize" animals that are simply not human&#33; Any mammal that has even close intelligence to humans (like Dogs and Whales and Dolphins) are not eaten out of respect for that intelligence (in civillized cultures). However, a Cow is just about as close to mindless as is possible in a mammalian species.

PETA is a terrorist group, plain and simple. They support, through their organization, groups that firebomb, kill, destroy property and do other things we consider terrorism today. The fact that they are not being cracked down on by the Govt. for their illegal actions is appalling on todays world, although understandable given the more dangerous terrorists floating around. But don;t think for a second that PETA isn&#39;t dangerious, because they are.

PETA folks are alot like (some) deeply religious folks. Logic and Science mean nothing to them. They have complete and utter faith in their beliefs, and nothing can convince them otherwise. All the evidence in the world, all the logic and all the dicussion means nothing to them. They will hold to their ideology regardless of anything, and will do whatever it takes to see their agenda through.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

warfish....you have entirely too much time on your hands....

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 04:47 PM
    [b] PETA is flat out wrong-headed on this (and almost all) issues. The Human animal is DESIGNED (through a milenia of evolution) to eat and digest meat, both piscine and mammalian, as well as vegitation. Just because we choose to not eat Cats or Dogs does not somehow make it immoral to eat Cows or Trout.

Fish, by their very biology, lack the complexity of brain structures to feel "pain" as we understand it. They react in a purely reflexitive manner: they feel something tugging on them, so they react in a "fight or fligh" reflex. There is no "thinking" whatsoever by the fish. As with many lower animal species, fish act purely on instinct. While things such as memory (to a limited degree) and social structure do indeed exist, it is in no way a sign of anything resembling higher brain function.

For example, if fish had complex memory, do you really think that an individual fish could be cought again and again and again in their lives? By the same lure? Sometimes within days of each other? Of course not. Fish "memory" is a very short term, instinctive thing, nothing like our own or other higher mammalian memory functions. Check a fish&#39;s brain and you&#39;ll see they do not have the brain structures required for long term memory or complex reasoning or anything else associated with higher thought.

As to social structure, that is patently rediculous to use as a "reason" to not eat them. By social structure, they mean the inter-relationships between conspecifics of a species. In it&#39;s simplest terms, the biggest fish bulliets the littler fish, and holds the best feeding position. Just watch a tankful of Tetras or Danios and you will see this behaviour pattern. Again, PETA is trying to extend that very simple instinctive behavior into something approaching sentience. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Look, my G.F. is ex-PETA and a strict Vegetarian (no animals, no fish, no shellfish). She doesn&#39;t go the whole Vegan route, but is an Animal rights type who dislikes the killing of Animals for food. So I GET their side of this issue/argument. The problem with it is they want tu "humanize" animals that are simply not human&#33; Any mammal that has even close intelligence to humans (like Dogs and Whales and Dolphins) are not eaten out of respect for that intelligence (in civillized cultures). However, a Cow is just about as close to mindless as is possible in a mammalian species.

PETA is a terrorist group, plain and simple. They support, through their organization, groups that firebomb, kill, destroy property and do other things we consider terrorism today. The fact that they are not being cracked down on by the Govt. for their illegal actions is appalling on todays world, although understandable given the more dangerous terrorists floating around. But don;t think for a second that PETA isn&#39;t dangerious, because they are.

PETA folks are alot like (some) deeply religious folks. Logic and Science mean nothing to them. They have complete and utter faith in their beliefs, and nothing can convince them otherwise. All the evidence in the world, all the logic and all the dicussion means nothing to them. They will hold to their ideology regardless of anything, and will do whatever it takes to see their agenda through. [/b][/quote]
    My Oscar comes up to the top of the tank to get petted on the head.

Of course he tries to fight with his reflection in the glass too so who knows ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 02:51 PM
    [b] warfish....you have entirely too much time on your hands.... [/b][/quote]
    Coming from a guy who LIVES on this forum, I&#39;ll take that comment for what it&#39;s worth.

Nice "lure" you threw out there Section. You hooked me pretty well, but I think it&#39;s time for me to spit this lure and swim on home. See ya.

Good bate job section.

I say fish is yummy. I guess I shoudn&#39;t be sending those PETS folks any of my fresh ELK stakes or Jerky...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Nov 17 2004, 03:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ Nov 17 2004, 03:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 02:51 PM
    [b] warfish....you have entirely too much time on your hands.... [/b][/quote]
    Coming from a guy who LIVES on this forum, I&#39;ll take that comment for what it&#39;s worth.

[/b][/quote]
    hmm....

Warfish: Posts: 2572- Joined: 24-January 04 (about 315 days)= 8.16 posts/day

CBTNY: Posts: 3154-Joined: 10-July 03 (about 500 days) = 6.3 posts/day

Jesus says eating fish is ok. Who wants to contradict Jesus?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by The Darkstar Conspiracy[/i]@Nov 17 2004, 04:14 PM
    [b] Jesus says eating fish is ok. Who wants to contradict Jesus? [/b][/quote]
    JetsMetsIsles