Thread: Sears, Kmart merge

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sears, Kmart Merge to Set New Bankruptcy Record
    by Scott Ott
    (2004-11-17) -- Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Holding Corp. today announced a merger aimed at setting a new record in the arena of retail bankruptcy filings.

"Rather than just vanish from the American landscape, we want to be remembered by our shareholders for decades," said Kmart CEO Edward Lampert who will head the new Sears Holding Corp. "We're change agents, and this merger is bound to change college and retirement plans for thousands of our shareholders."

In related news, jailed Kmart partner Martha Stewart will release a new video demonstrating how to make wallpaper from Sears Holding Corp. stock certificates.

"The wallpaper is attractive and the best way to get value out of your stock," according to Ms. Stewart's cellmate, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Sears and Kmart executives remain free pending charges.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how this deal will work out, but I'm rooting for them. I don't want Wal-Mart to own everything. There's got to be some competition.

Did you write that article, Bugg? It's fairly clever.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is Kmart gonna save Sears when they can't even save themselves? Just very curious about this. :blink: