Thread: Gibson gets the last laugh on the elites

[url=http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/35022.htm]http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/35022.htm[/url]

[b]NY POST[/b]

Meet Mel Gibson: actor, director and now the $395 million man.

[SIZE=3]Make that $395 million and counting.[/SIZE]

Now that the smoke has cleared and the controversy has subsided, that's the staggering amount of money Gibson is believed to be personally taking home from his epic biblical drama, "The Passion of the Christ."

Released nine months ago, the flick, which Gibson produced and directed, has conquered the box office, shattered video sales records and is now raking it in on pay-per-view TV.

"It's still the all-time highest grosser of a film not released in the summer or holiday seasons," said Tim Briody, an analyst with Box Office Prophets, which tracks ticket sales.

Gibson's windfall is also one of the biggest jackpots for any one moviemaker dwarfed, perhaps, only by George Lucas and his "Star Wars" franchise.

When Gibson found himself unable to get major studios interested in "Passion," he sank about $30 million of his own money and only his own money into it.

As the production was completed, rumors began circulating that the film was unbearably violent and, worse, anti-Semitic. Strangely, that buzz translated into millions of dollars in free publicity for Gibson.

Next, he hired the indie distributor Newmarket Films, and cut deals with individual theaters to screen the movie.

So far, "Passion" has grossed close to $425 million in domestic box office, with Newmarket taking in 45 percent of that, about $180 million. Subtracted from that is $30 million spent on marketing costs, leaving $150 million.

Newmarket then took a 10 percent share of that, leaving Gibson with a pure profit of about $135 million.

Overseas distribution added another $70 million to the actor's bank account.

This fall, "The Passion" hit video stores and, while Gibson's company, Icon Productions, has not disclosed its video deal, industry sources believe he may take as much as 60 percent of the gross from the DVD.

The disc sold 4.1 million copies in the first day of release, says Fox Home Entertainment. And with projections of $350 million for the DVD alone, that brings another $210 to Gibson.

And that doesn't include pay-per-view earnings, or the soundtrack and tie-in books, which are also doing well, and stand to make Gibson another $10 million or more.

"Gibson has created, distributed and sold the movie he wanted to make, and that is not an easy achievement anywhere," said Scott Holleran, an analyst with Box Office Mojo.

In fact, "Passion" is the biggest R-rated box-office hit of all time in North America, its lifetime gross surpassing "The Matrix Reloaded" by $89 million. But despite its success, there's a good chance "The Passion" could go home empty-handed at Oscar time.

That's because Academy voters are turned off by the movie's extreme take on the last hours of Christ, analysts say.

==================================

I would also note that Gibson has made it crystal clear he WILL NOT spend one dime campaigning for Hollywood's recognition at the Oscars ... for one thing, he must know that isn't coming from these bigoted Christaphobes anyway ... and for another thing, they tried to kill his movie from it's inception, these so-called champions of free speech and freedom of artistic expression, so now they can take their Oscars and shove them

I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!! :D

Way to stick it to these elites, Mel ... you are now officially my hero

[b][SIZE=3][color=red]The wisdom of Rabbi Lapin[/color][/SIZE][/b]

[i]Rabbi Daniel Lappin wrote this column prior to the opening of the passion ... in many ways this Rabbi was a prophet[/i]

[b]By Rabbi Daniel Lapin[/b]

Two weeks before Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ flashed onto movie screens, online ticket merchants reported that up to half their total sales were for advance purchases for The Passion of the Christ. One Dallas multiplex reserved all 20 of its screens for The Passion.

That said, I am neither a prophet nor a movie critic. I am merely an Orthodox rabbi using ancient Jewish wisdom to make three predictions about The Passion.

[b]First: Mel Gibson and Icon Productions will make a great deal of money. Those distributors who surrendered to pressure from Jewish organizations and passed on The Passion will be kicking themselves, while Newmarket Films will laugh all the way to the bank. Theater owners are going to love this film.

Second: The Passion will become famous as the most serious and substantive Biblical movie ever made. It will be one of the most talked-about entertainment events in history.

My third prediction is that the faith of millions of Christians will become more fervent as The Passion uplifts and inspires them. The Passion will propel vast numbers of unreligious Americans to embrace Christianity. The movie will one day be seen as a harbinger of America's third great religious reawakening.[/b] [color=red]{Note: Were the exits polls from this recent election and the emphasis on moral values a refelection of this third prediction?}[/color]

Those Jewish organizations that have squandered both time and money futilely protesting The Passion, ostensibly in order to prevent pogroms in Pittsburgh, can hardly be proud of their performance. They failed at everything they attempted. They were hoping to ruin Gibson rather than enrich him. They were hoping to suppress The Passion rather than promote it. Finally, they were hoping to help Jews rather than harm them.

In this, they have failed miserably. By selectively unleashing their fury only on wholesome entertainment that depicts Christianity in a positive light, these critics have triggered anger, hurt, and resentment. Hosting the Toward Tradition radio show and speaking before many audiences nationwide, I enjoy extensive communication with Christian America, and what I hear is troubling. Fearful of attracting the ire of Jewish organizations quick to hurl the "anti-Semite" epithet, some Christians are reluctant to speak out. One can bludgeon resentful people into silence, but behind closed doors, emotions continue to simmer.

I consider it crucially important for Christians to know that not all Jews are in agreement with their self-appointed spokesmen. Most American Jews, experiencing warm and gracious interactions each day with their Christian fellow citizens, would feel awkward trying to explain why so many Jewish organizations seem focused on an agenda hostile to Judeo-Christian values. Many individual Jews have shared with me their embarrassment over the fact that groups ostensibly representing them attack The Passion but are silent about depraved entertainment that encourages killing cops and brutalizing women. Citing artistic freedom, Jewish groups helped protect sacrilegious exhibits such as the anti-Christian feces extravaganza presented by the Brooklyn Museum of Art four years ago. One can hardly blame Christians for assuming that Jews feel artistic freedom is important only when exercised by those hostile toward Christianity.

But this is not how all Jews feel. In audiences around America, I am encountering bitterness toward Jewish organizations that insist that belief in the New Testament is de facto evidence of anti-Semitism. Christians heard Jewish leaders denouncing Gibson for making a movie that follows Gospel accounts of the Crucifixion long before any of them had even seen the movie. Furthermore, Christians are hurt that Jewish groups are presuming to teach them what Christian Scripture "really means." They hear figures like the rabbi I debated on The O'Reilly Factor last September, who said: "We have a responsibility as Jews, as thinking Jews, as people of theology, to respond to our Christian brothers and to engage them, be it Protestants, be it Catholics, and say, look, this is not your history, this is not your theology, this does not represent what you believe in."

This man happens to be a respected rabbi, and a good one, but he too has bought into the preposterous proposition that Jews will reeducate Christians about Christian theology and history. Is it any wonder that this astonishing arrogance spurs bitterness?

Many Christians who, with good reason, have considered themselves to be Jews' best (and perhaps only) friends also feel resentment toward Jews who believe that The Passion reveals startling new information about the Crucifixion. They are incredulous at Jews who think that exposure to the Gospels in visual form will instantly transform the most philo-Semitic gentiles in history into snarling, Jew-hating predators.

Christians are baffled by Jews who don't understand that President George Washington, who knew and revered every word of the Gospels, was still able to write that oft-quoted, beautiful letter to the Touro Synagogue in Newport, offering friendship and full participation in America to the Jewish community.

One of the directors of the American Jewish Committee recently warned that The Passion "could undermine the sense of community between Christians and Jews that's going on in this country. We're not allowing the film to do that." No sir, it isn't the film that threatens that sense of community: The arrogant and intemperate responses of some Jewish organizations are responsible for that.

Today, a hateful danger threatens all Americans, both Jews and Christians. Many of the men and women fighting that peril on the frontlines find great support in their Christian faith. It is strange that Jewish organizations, purporting to protect Jews, think that insulting allies is the preferred way to carry out that mandate.

TomShane
    Perhaps my memory of this is a little shady, but wasn't it the religious right (trans: republicans) that was kicking and screaming about this movie being made?

[quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Nov 27 2004, 01:09 AM
    [b] Perhaps my memory of this is a little shady, but wasn't it the religious right (trans: republicans) that was kicking and screaming about this movie being made? [/b][/quote]
    TS, practicing Catholics and Christians championed this film ... it was the secular left and some liberal Jewish organizations who came out with guns blazing

Rabbi Lapin is an Orthadox Jew who takes his religion serious ... the best kept secret in the media is that there is a very friendly relationship between Orthadox Jews and religious Catholics/Christians ... both groups feel increasingly under attack by the secularists who dominate the media, academia, and the intelligentsia, thus they have formed some sort of alliance in many circles ... and both sides recognize radical islam as our common adversary, and one who truly respresents a threat to us all {Christians and Jews alike}

I read this Rabbi's columns often ... he has a very different view of the world than that of the intelligentsia ... sees the real division in America not as one of Christian Vs Jew, Black Vs White, or Man Vs Woman ... but one of Religion Vs Secularism

He has been writing about this divide for years ... some call it the culture war today, but Lapin was way ahead of the curve on seeing this coming debate that will eventually define America as an entirely secular nation or one that respects it's tradition of faith ... he has been saying for years that the secularists will not rest until they have expunged religion from the public arena in it's entirety, thus this battle of ideas cannot be avoided cause there is not a shred of tolerance for religion to be found from the secularists ... they will force this battle by their own arrogance and contempt for religion

He does not view the religous folks as the antagonist in this divide, but the secularist who seeks to expunge religion from every aspect of public life, thus rendering religion to something only expressed in homes and in places of worship

He believes, as do I, that the same folks who hurl charges of intolerance at religious folks are practicing rank hypocrisy at it's worst .... cause it is they who will not even offer the pretense of tolerance towards people of faith

They have in effect told people of faith ... you can only be considered tolerant if you disavow your own faith as you understand it, or if you let us {the secularists and the intelligentsia} re-write your religious doctrine in accordance with the enlightenment ... cause ON IT'S FACE your religion and your religious views are intolerant

He has actually written a book on this subject titled [color=red]"America's Real War"[/color]

TomShane
    Thanks GJ. I wasn't paying that much attention when it came out. I have a lessaiz-faire view towards what Hollywood puts up on the screen, really. It just seemed kind of silly to get all these people's panties in a huff over a film, and I think Gibson is laughing all the way to the bank because of it. Good for him, right?

[quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Nov 27 2004, 06:22 PM
    [b] Thanks GJ. I wasn't paying that much attention when it came out. I have a lessaiz-faire view towards what Hollywood puts up on the screen, really. It just seemed kind of silly to get all these people's panties in a huff over a film, and I think Gibson is laughing all the way to the bank because of it. Good for him, right? [/b][/quote]
    No doubt about it ... he pocketed enough scratch from this film to keep his fifth generation dressed in silk :D