Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ENOUGH TALK

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cornerback is not the problem.

Donnie Abraham was making big-time plays earlier this year and has done nothing this season that would warrant a need to replace him. He'll still be the starter next year.

David Barrett is playing very well right now and if he keeps it up, he'll be here starting next year as well.

Derrick Strait and Roderick Bryant are more than serviceable backups and both of them are very young and talented with promising futures ahead of them. Especially if Mickens returns next year, we'll be very well off.

Imagine if we had a tight end like Antonio Gates in New York. Some of the tight ends coming out this year could be the next big-play, young NFL tight end. The offense would be amazing with a guy like Gates. As much as a like Baker, I don't think he is the answer. Anthony Becht is gone after this year.

An Ed Reed-like player on the Jets would be huge as well. If we don't draft a TE in the first round, i say we get someone like Jamaal Brimmer, who may even slip to the 2nd round due to a less than stellar year in 04, despite an incredible 2003 season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless McGraw gets healthy and stays healthy, we need a better S then Tongue to go with Coleman.

If not, since we'll probably lose Fergy, DT maybe.

OT with the probable loss of McKenzie is also an option.

David Barrett has finally showed up. With Strait and Mickens back next year, we're set.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. there are no great safetys in the draft this year
    2. there are no great tight ends in the draft this year

donnie abraham is old, and like you said he has done nothing this year (cept for that int vs miami)

3. this is a deep CB draft, we might be able to get a great CB late in the 1st rd that would have been a top 10 or 15 pick the year before.

carlos rogers is the man, besides antrel rolle, rogers is BY FAR the best CB in college football.

darnell bing, thomas davis, ernest shazor are all good safetys but neither of the 3 are great cover guys like taylor, reed or dawkins.

jamaal brimmer?? I'd be surprised if he was drafted before the 5th rd! he did nothing this year, and supposedly he runs a 4.6, so he could be another rashad washington, and be a 7th rd pick.

health miller is a solid tight end, but he won't make any big time plays, just catch the ball and get some YAC.

kevin everett is a good recieving tight end from miami (he got injured this week so I dunno), he is 6'6 260, definetly makes a great red zone target and def. fast enough to make some big time run after the catch, I'd like us to grab him in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

ernest shazor would be a nice 2nd/3rd rd pick as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn50[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 09:19 PM
    [b] 1. there are no great safetys in the draft this year
    2. there are no great tight ends in the draft this year [/b][/quote]
    Wrong on both accounts.

Thomas Davis from Georgia would make an excellent fit next to Erik Coleman.

And Heath Miller is good, but I dont want a TE in Round 1.

I do agree we should still look into CB, Donnie Abe is getting older. And even tho David Barrett has played great recently doesn't mean we couldnt use more CB help.

Also if a good OT is available, we should look into it. With Fabini aging and McKenzie on his way out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Icer[/i]@Dec 6 2004, 02:20 AM
    [b] Also if a good OT is available, we should look into it. With Fabini aging and McKenzie on his way out. [/b][/quote]
    BINGO.

TE and Safety are LUXURY POSITIONS. We need a BONAFIDE franchise LT to help protect Chad's blind spot for years to come.

Yes, our OL is strong, but it will be stripped of much of its strength when Kareem leaves....and he WILL be leaving. Who do we depend on at RT, Adrian Jones?

We must draft a LT, because I seriously doubt Fabini will be able to handle the load much longer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way Brimmer ends up a second day pick. Going into the season, he was a borderline first rounder. The guy has shown so much in the past, despite his bad season, that if he goes any later than Round 2, someone is getting a huge steal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Icer+Dec 6 2004, 01:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Icer @ Dec 6 2004, 01:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn50[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 09:19 PM
    2. there are no great tight ends in the draft this year [/b][/quote]
    Wrong on both accounts.

Thomas Davis from Georgia would make an excellent fit next to Erik Coleman.

And Heath Miller is good, but I dont want a TE in Round 1.

I do agree we should still look into CB, Donnie Abe is getting older. And even tho David Barrett has played great recently doesn&#39;t mean we couldnt use more CB help.

Also if a good OT is available, we should look into it. With Fabini aging and McKenzie on his way out. [/b][/quote]
    health miller is "good", that&#39;s what you said, and I agree, but I said there are no "great" tight ends in the draft, this is DEFINETLY TRUE.

thomas davis, is a good player, he is no sean taylor, ed reed or polamalu, don&#39;t kid yourself here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    probably Tackle ... my guess is that we lose

Kareem McKenzie (probably wants to much money for the skills he possesses ... he has made a bunch of key mistakes/penalties this year)

Lamont Jordan (he&#39;ll probably want alot of playing time that we cannot offer)

Anthony Becht (he misses too many blocks for a "blocking type" tight end)

Jason Ferguson

and hopefully be able to keep Abraham.

Under this scenario we would be looking at OT.

Then a DT prospect (that can play in our rotation ... if we lose abe, we need then need a DE prospect here or #1 pick),

HB (running back draft looks to be solid ... can get a decent pick here as potential heir to Curtis Martin ... also, got the "unknown" of Maurice Clarett that will probably go in the 3,4 or 5 round.

After that, you are looking for value/people who can make the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    James Butler, Georgia Tech, would do nicely. Listed as FS, but has the frame to add weight and hits like a truck. Also a smart kid, can&#39;t emphasize that enough. Vilma is the perfect example of a strong prospect with great intangibles. Butler could be a similar pick as a safety. A write up below:

"Who is James Butler? ... There&#39;s always a concern among college football fans that there are always players in the news who break the law, don&#39;t care about school, and just hang around to be football players. Not enough is made of ones who not only excel on the field, but also in the classroom as well.

If you want a player to watch this year and root for as the ideal of what a college football player should be, check out one of the best defensive backs in the nation: Georgia Tech FS James Butler.

For some reason, Georgia Tech hasn&#39;t gotten a whole bunch of attention for its defensive players. There have been some great ones over the years, but offensive stars like, most recently, Joe Hamilton, George Godsey, Reggie Ball, and a slew of receivers have gotten the most press. This year, it&#39;s going to be a Butler that deserves to get all the pub as an All-America free safety and an Academic All-ACC performer.

The 6-3, 210-pound senior isn&#39;t just a big hitter, he&#39;s a speedy pass defender turning it up a notch intercepting five passes and breaking up six. After making 30 tackles over his first two seasons, he made 119 last year as one of the best new talents in the game. This didn&#39;t just happen by accident, he worked both on and off the field to learn the position and become the star he now is.

"James Butler is a very talented free safety with excellent size and speed," said Georgia Tech head coach Chan Gailey. "He has great instincts and knowledge of the game, which comes from his commitment to studying film."

Once again though, there are several good students and great players in the game. Butler just so happens to be one of the best combinations of the two.

"Most importantly," said Gailey, "he&#39;s a very good student and an outstanding person. We will look to him to be the leader of our defense this season." "

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn50[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 08:19 PM

[/b][/quote]
    Besides Jammal Brimmer, there is also Darnell Bing from USC, Donte Nicholson from Oklahoma, Ernie Shazor from Michigan. I think Shazor could be a steal in the 3rd round. I&#39;ve seen him play many times for the Wolverines this year and he hits like a truck.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by curtisthegreat+Dec 6 2004, 04:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (curtisthegreat @ Dec 6 2004, 04:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn50[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 08:19 PM

[/b][/quote]
    Besides Jammal Brimmer, there is also Darnell Bing from USC, Donte Nicholson from Oklahoma, Ernie Shazor from Michigan. I think Shazor could be a steal in the 3rd round. I&#39;ve seen him play many times for the Wolverines this year and he hits like a truck. [/b][/quote]

I know who all of those guys are.

NONE of them cover well at all. all are big hitters, and just decent cover safetys.

I&#39;d love to grab Shazor or Bing in the 2nd/3rd rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Darnell is a Soph., so unless he declares, we won&#39;t see him in the draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TexJet[/i]@Dec 6 2004, 04:31 PM
    [b] I believe Darnell is a Soph., so unless he declares, we won&#39;t see him in the draft. [/b][/quote]

see larry fitzgerald.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 08:29 PM
    [b] Unless McGraw gets healthy and stays healthy, we need a better S then Tongue to go with Coleman.

If not, since we&#39;ll probably lose Fergy, DT maybe.

OT with the probable loss of McKenzie is also an option.

David Barrett has finally showed up. With Strait and Mickens back next year, we&#39;re set. [/b][/quote]
    McGraw has a groin injury. They are tough and he is rehabbing trying to play this season. It&#39;s not a career type injury. Curtis Martin had one in 1997. Abraham has had two seasons with groin injuries. Surgery can be 100% successful (Abraham had it) with no greater risk for reinjury than never having had one. As far as TE&#39;s are concerned, Sporting News doesn&#39;t have a single TE draft eligible player rated in the first round.

I&#39;d get an impact WR or a RT (Jamaal Brown OU) in the first round since no RT is worth what McKenzie&#39;s agent is looking for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK Barton. If you read between the comas in my sentence, you will notice the disclaimer (so unless he declares). I do not believe Darnell has stated his intention to leave the NCAA yet. You know something I don&#39;t?

By the way, if he were eligible, he would be a great pick. No argument on his talent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    larry fitgerald was an exception. the only reason he was allowed to declare for the draft as a sophomore was due to the fact that he was three years removed from graduating high school. your typical sophomore therefore, is ineligible for the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets be real about McGraw...............He doesnt stay healthy. What is the point of keeping him? Yea he is a big hitter and yea he has heart but he is rarely on the field. Get rid of him. Would my boss pay me if i called out to work every other month?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We&#39;re in a position to take the best player available at either TE,CB, or Safety.

BPA is the best plan of action when you have a team as balanced as ours. Though, the one thing we need to do (assuming LJ is gone :( ) is to pickup a runningback in the first 3 rounds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This team already has the SS on the roster that`s going to be a player for this franchise.Rashad Washington is that player,and the only reason you`re not hearing about him is because he`s been injured.Terry Bradway had 4 excellent 7th round picks last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    cmon guys when you pick at 32 you go for best available player, almost regardless of position :D

it would not surprise me to see the JETS pick any position except QB... even DL is a possibility in light of the Fergie/Abe situations...LB is stacked but that&#39;s a unit you can always go for the [b]SUPER UNIT[/b] (patent pending - GJ&H)