Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: URGENT QUESTION

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much tells you what Abe brings to the table...

[quote][b]J. Abraham Out with Knee Sprain

By Eric Allen (NYJ.COM)

New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards announced Monday that defensive end John Abraham sustained a right knee sprain (Lateral Collateral Ligament) versus the Houston Texans and was ruled out for Sunday’s game versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“It will probably be week-to-week,” Edwards said. “That’s not saying he’ll be back next week either, but this week I know he’s out.”

Listen to Coach Edwards’ Press Conference, presented by Geico

Abraham, who currently ranks tied for second in the AFC with 9.5 sacks, was injured in the first half of a Jets’ 29-7 win. Third-year pro Bryan Thomas will take Abraham’s place in the starting lineup.

“When you lose a player like that, you still have to get a pass rush,” Edwards said. “You have to scheme things a little differently.”

Throughout the season, Abraham has been a backfield threat. He was named the AFC’s Defensive Player of the Month for October after racking up six and a half sacks, 16 tackles, two passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

“He can beat some guys with his talent or they are going to double him or chip him and keep more guys into block because they are worried about him,” Edwards said of Abraham. “That helps you too defensively. They turn protection his way. If you know that, then obviously you can blitz coming from the other way and get one-on-one match-ups. There are a lot of things that he brings to the table that go unseen – just by his presence.”

In Abraham’s absence, the Green & White still managed to apply pressure to Houston QB David Carr. Coordinator Donnie Henderson’s unit showed both 3-4 and 3-2 looks in the final 30 minutes.

“When he’s not out there, then teams play a little different,” Edwards said. “With that being said, you have to scheme a little different. And I thought – for the most part – the defense did a nice job of that in the second half.”

Without the services of Abraham, the Jets shut out an opponent in the second half for the sixth time in 12 contests. In 10 games this season, Thomas has posted 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

"I think mentally he’s a lot tougher," Edwards said of Thomas. "He knows what’s expected out of him, and Donnie’s done a great job coaching those guys."[/b][/quote]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Dec 6 2004, 08:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Dec 6 2004, 08:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Greenwave81[/i]@Dec 6 2004, 08:09 PM
    [b] Actually GJ&H, this information gives you nothing that you did not already know, except for the fact that the ligament is not completely torn.

It still does not prognosticate when he will return, and does not mention the degree or classification of the sprain which would make it a lot easier to try and predict a return date.

Grade I? Grade IV?

Who knows? [/b][/quote]
    Wave, I have been watching football for so many years that rarely is there an injury I haven&#39;t heard of or seen before ... but that is the case with this LCL

ACL and MCL are fairly common ... even Patela Tendon injuries I have seen, or just torn cartledge ... but what exactly is an LCL? :huh:

Is this less severe than an MCL?

I know an ACL is worse than an MCL, but where does the LCL fall in this food chain?

Thanks Doc ;) [/b][/quote]
    LCL is LATERAL Collateral Ligament, as opposed to Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL). Injury to the LCL is much more infrequent than injuries to the MCL, which is probably why you haven&#39;t heard of it.

The MRI confirmed a "sprain", so unless the Jets are pulling a fast one here, it doesn&#39;t sound like the ligament suffered a complete disruption...but by not telling us the grade of the sprain, we cannot give any timetable for recovery..but the recovery from a LCL injury would probably be similiar to that expected from a MCL injury of the same magnitude.

LCL and MCL would loosely be "equivalent" in importance, and injuries to either of them would be less severe than say an ACL injury.

But if it&#39;s anything other than a "mild" grade I sprain, I bet you&#39;re looking at 4 weeks (give or take a week) minimum.

Let&#39;s see when he begins his rehab/PT...that will tell us more.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Greenwave81+Dec 6 2004, 09:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Greenwave81 @ Dec 6 2004, 09:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 6 2004, 08:18 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Greenwave81[/i]@Dec 6 2004, 08:09 PM
    [b] Actually GJ&H, this information gives you nothing that you did not already know, except for the fact that the ligament is not completely torn.

It still does not prognosticate when he will return, and does not mention the degree or classification of the sprain which would make it a lot easier to try and predict a return date.

Grade I? Grade IV?

Who knows? [/b][/quote]
    Wave, I have been watching football for so many years that rarely is there an injury I haven&#39;t heard of or seen before ... but that is the case with this LCL

ACL and MCL are fairly common ... even Patela Tendon injuries I have seen, or just torn cartledge ... but what exactly is an LCL? :huh:

Is this less severe than an MCL?

I know an ACL is worse than an MCL, but where does the LCL fall in this food chain?

Thanks Doc ;) [/b][/quote]
    LCL is LATERAL Collateral Ligament, as opposed to Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL). Injury to the LCL is much more infrequent than injuries to the MCL, which is probably why you haven&#39;t heard of it.

The MRI confirmed a "sprain", so unless the Jets are pulling a fast one here, it doesn&#39;t sound like the ligament suffered a complete disruption...but by not telling us the grade of the sprain, we cannot give any timetable for recovery..but the recovery from a LCL injury would probably be similiar to that expected from a MCL injury of the same magnitude.

LCL and MCL would loosely be "equivalent" in importance, and injuries to either of them would be less severe than say an ACL injury.

But if it&#39;s anything other than a "mild" grade I sprain, I bet you&#39;re looking at 4 weeks (give or take a week) minimum.

Let&#39;s see when he begins his rehab/PT...that will tell us more. [/b][/quote]
    Hey Doc, when are you coming back to 16H?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67[/i]@Dec 6 2004, 08:37 PM
    [b] Hey Doc, when are you coming back to 16H? [/b][/quote]
    Hey Jon....

Unfortunately, I&#39;m not going to make it to NY this season...kind of sucks&#33;

I AM however, going to go to the Jets-Rams game on 1/2/05...got tickets from a lobbyist neighbor in a luxury suite/box on the 40 yd line, and I&#39;m gonna take my 12 y.o. son to his first Jets game&#33;

Looks like the game may mean something too...

Regards...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wave ... that&#39;s why you are an invaluable member of this board ;)

Much appreciated, my friend