Thread: bryan thomas

here are some facts.

John Abraham, while prob the best DE in the nfl right now, he has been stuck on 9.5 sacks for a month it seems.

but he is still getting pressure and forcing incompletions and occasionally freeing up the rest of the line to go 1 on 1.

BUT

BT I think can be Abe for a week or 2. if you have watched jets games this year, you would know that he has made plays whenever he has played, including at DT.

not a big loss at all of course. and it will be great to see what BT can really do now that he is "nfl ready" and "fully focused"

What did THomas do this weekend? Was he even in?

All I saw was Trevor Johnson

Thomas played a lot last year while Abe was out, all I know is, he better play better then he did last year.

Jets Insider Club Member
    Board Moderator
    JI Staff Writer

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/features/full_story.asp?storyid=206]BRYAN THOMAS ARTICLE[/url]

Veteran
    [quote][b]J. Abraham Out with Knee Sprain

By Eric Allen (NYJ.COM)

New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards announced Monday that defensive end John Abraham sustained a right knee sprain (Lateral Collateral Ligament) versus the Houston Texans and was ruled out for Sunday’s game versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“It will probably be week-to-week,” Edwards said. “That’s not saying he’ll be back next week either, but this week I know he’s out.”

Listen to Coach Edwards’ Press Conference, presented by Geico

Abraham, who currently ranks tied for second in the AFC with 9.5 sacks, was injured in the first half of a Jets’ 29-7 win. Third-year pro Bryan Thomas will take Abraham’s place in the starting lineup.

“When you lose a player like that, you still have to get a pass rush,” Edwards said. “You have to scheme things a little differently.”

Throughout the season, Abraham has been a backfield threat. He was named the AFC’s Defensive Player of the Month for October after racking up six and a half sacks, 16 tackles, two passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

“He can beat some guys with his talent or they are going to double him or chip him and keep more guys into block because they are worried about him,” Edwards said of Abraham. “That helps you too defensively. They turn protection his way. If you know that, then obviously you can blitz coming from the other way and get one-on-one match-ups. There are a lot of things that he brings to the table that go unseen – just by his presence.”

In Abraham’s absence, the Green & White still managed to apply pressure to Houston QB David Carr. Coordinator Donnie Henderson’s unit showed both 3-4 and 3-2 looks in the final 30 minutes.

“When he’s not out there, then teams play a little different,” Edwards said. “With that being said, you have to scheme a little different. And I thought – for the most part – the defense did a nice job of that in the second half.”

Without the services of Abraham, the Jets shut out an opponent in the second half for the sixth time in 12 contests. In 10 games this season, Thomas has posted 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

"I think mentally he’s a lot tougher," Edwards said of Thomas. "He knows what’s expected out of him, and Donnie’s done a great job coaching those guys."[/b][/quote]