Thread: The playoff scenarios this week

One of the scenarios of the Jets clinching this week included a Ravens win among other things. For the life of me, I cannot think how a Ravens win over the Giants would be needed for the Jets to clinch. Can someone explain??

Some guys on another board are just as confused as I am.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It probably has to do with a 3 way tiebreaker.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets (9-3), who have a two-game lead over Baltimore and Denver (both 7-5) in the wild-card race for two slots, have been criticized for their level of competition. They've beaten Cleveland (3-9), Arizona (4-8) and Houston (5-7) in their past three weeks.

But they can prove they belong in the AFC elite and seal a postseason appearance with a victory Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers along with losses by Buffalo and Denver and a victory by either Baltimore or San Diego.

Advertisement

The Steelers (11-1), who have won 10 straight, rank first in the NFL in total defense and second in the league in rushing offense. They're only the second winning team the Jets have played since Week 7, when they faced the Patriots. The Ravens are the other.

"No, it doesn't bother me at all," coach Herman Edwards said about his team's lack of respect. "I just go play them one at a time, and we just try to win a game. We happened to be nine and three, it's not our fault."

After playing the Steelers, the Jets face the Seahawks, who are 6-6 after last night's loss to the Cowboys, Patriots (11-1) and Rams (6-6).

"We still have a tough road to hoe," Edwards said. "We know it, and we're just going to try to win another game. That's all we talk about."

QB Chad Pennington's

running makes Edwards uneasy, but the coach doesn't want to ban his quarterback from running. Pennington survived a clothesline tackle by Texans LB Jamie Sharper on one scramble and was hit hard on his 11-yard run for a key first down early in the fourth quarter on another run.

"For me to sit here and say, 'Well, you need to be safe now, and you're a China doll, and you need to duck and when you feel somebody getting ready to hit you, you need to fall to the ground,' he's not going to do that," Edwards said. "He's a competitor. For the most part, when he ran, he got out of the way.

"He's a football player. He's going to do whatever he has to do. and I'm not going to say don't take off and run. He's going to run. That's how he plays. He doesn't know how to play any other way."

DT Dewayne Robertson,

who had a team-high tying six tackles against the Texans, is fulfilling his preseason promise to be a disruptive force that no one can block. His interior play is a major reason the Jets rank seventh in the NFL in rushing defense. He has 50 tackles and 2.5 sacks this season.

"He's been very consistent," Edwards said. "He kind of goes under the radar screen. ... He's disruptive, there's no doubt about it. He's making a lot of plays and really creating plays for our linebackers to make, too."

CB David Barrett,

who has clashed with fiery defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, is coming on after a slow start. He has 10 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble and two pass breakups in the past two games. ... LB Mark Brown, starting his second straight game for an injured Victor Hobson (high ankle sprain), had four tackles and a pass breakup against the Texans.

it says it here too!!! i dont get it either

Banned
    yes it has to do with the three way tie breakers...im not sure how, but ill look at it closer when i get home later...

[quote][i]Originally posted by petejet[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 11:38 AM
    [b] It probably has to do with a 3 way tiebreaker. [/b][/quote]
    I thought that too but how does the Ravens getting their 8th win ensure any kind of tiebreaker when we already have 9 wins? I could understand that in week 16 or 17 but not week 14. Very strange. To be honest, I think it is a mistake.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by spjets[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 11:38 AM
    [b] The Jets (9-3), who have a two-game lead over Baltimore and Denver (both 7-5) in the wild-card race for two slots, have been criticized for their level of competition. They've beaten Cleveland (3-9), Arizona (4-8) and Houston (5-7) in their past three weeks.

But they can prove they belong in the AFC elite and seal a postseason appearance with a victory Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers along with losses by Buffalo and Denver and a victory by either Baltimore or San Diego.

Advertisement

The Steelers (11-1), who have won 10 straight, rank first in the NFL in total defense and second in the league in rushing offense. They're only the second winning team the Jets have played since Week 7, when they faced the Patriots. The Ravens are the other.

"No, it doesn't bother me at all," coach Herman Edwards said about his team's lack of respect. "I just go play them one at a time, and we just try to win a game. We happened to be nine and three, it's not our fault."

After playing the Steelers, the Jets face the Seahawks, who are 6-6 after last night's loss to the Cowboys, Patriots (11-1) and Rams (6-6).

"We still have a tough road to hoe," Edwards said. "We know it, and we're just going to try to win another game. That's all we talk about."

QB Chad Pennington's

running makes Edwards uneasy, but the coach doesn't want to ban his quarterback from running. Pennington survived a clothesline tackle by Texans LB Jamie Sharper on one scramble and was hit hard on his 11-yard run for a key first down early in the fourth quarter on another run.

"For me to sit here and say, 'Well, you need to be safe now, and you're a China doll, and you need to duck and when you feel somebody getting ready to hit you, you need to fall to the ground,' he's not going to do that," Edwards said. "He's a competitor. For the most part, when he ran, he got out of the way.

"He's a football player. He's going to do whatever he has to do. and I'm not going to say don't take off and run. He's going to run. That's how he plays. He doesn't know how to play any other way."

DT Dewayne Robertson,

who had a team-high tying six tackles against the Texans, is fulfilling his preseason promise to be a disruptive force that no one can block. His interior play is a major reason the Jets rank seventh in the NFL in rushing defense. He has 50 tackles and 2.5 sacks this season.

"He's been very consistent," Edwards said. "He kind of goes under the radar screen. ... He's disruptive, there's no doubt about it. He's making a lot of plays and really creating plays for our linebackers to make, too."

CB David Barrett,

who has clashed with fiery defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, is coming on after a slow start. He has 10 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble and two pass breakups in the past two games. ... LB Mark Brown, starting his second straight game for an injured Victor Hobson (high ankle sprain), had four tackles and a pass breakup against the Texans.

it says it here too!!! i dont get it either [/b][/quote]
    well, buffalo is easy. a loss ensures them no better than 9-7, effectively eliminating them from the 5 spot assuming tha jets win. the jets already have the tiebreaker with cinci, hence their not being mentioned even though their record is the same as buffalo's. this leaves the jets, ravens, denver, and jacksonville. denver's loss would mean no better than a 10-6 record, and they lose the common opponent tie breaker with the jets. the jags can do no better than 10-6, and have already clinched losing the common opponents tie breaker. the ravens, if i remember correctly, has to do with a three way tie involving the jets and ravens.

All League
    that IS really strange. the only think i can think of is that it has to do with strength of schedule, which i think is one of the lowest tiebreakers. hard to believe that's right though... it really doesn't make any sense to me.