Thread: Abraham out 2-to-3 weeks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link

The No. 1 player on the NFL's No. 1 defense (you can look it up) might be a spectator for most of the Jets' playoff run.
    Defensive end John Abraham, who sprained a ligament in his right knee Sunday against the Texans, will miss at least two or three games, two people with knowledge of his injury said yesterday.

Abraham had an MRI exam, which revealed a sprained lateral collateral ligament, according to Herman Edwards. The Jets' coach declined to provide a prognosis, saying only that Abraham won't play Sunday against the Steelers (11-1) and that his status is "week to week."

The good news for the Jets (9-3) is that surgery isn't a consideration, Edwards said. The bad news is that Abraham, experiencing significant swelling, will be immobilized for about a week.

The timing couldn't be worse for the Jets, who face a difficult homestretch. After the Steelers, they finish with the Seahawks and Patriots at home and the Rams on the road. The Patriots (11-1) and Steelers are ranked fifth and ninth, respectively, in scoring.

The Jets survived three games without quarterback Chad Pennington, who returned from a shoulder injury to beat the Texans, 29-7. Now they will have to find a way to get by without their most dynamic playmaker on defense. Abraham is tied for second in the AFC with 9-1/2 sacks, a candidate for NFL Defensive MVP.

"It's going to hurt," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said of Abraham's injury. "Let's be honest: We're giving up a Pro Bowl player."

Abraham was hurt in the second quarter, went to the sideline and returned for one play, thinking it was an ankle injury. When he realized it was his knee, he limped off the field and was taken to the locker room, where he was fitted for a brace. Abraham said he didn't go back in the game because he wasn't comfortable with the brace.

"I'm trying to make sure everything is all right - you know, try to get back before the season is over," Abraham said after the game.

Ironically, Abraham's injury came on the day the Jets ascended to the No. 1 ranking in fewest points allowed (175), a tremendous source of pride for the players and coaches. The defense is on a tear, having yielded only 17 points during the current three-game winning streak.

But losing Abraham is like removing the cleanup hitter from a batting order. Because of his pass-rushing prowess, he often draws double-team blocking, freeing up others to make plays.

Abraham will be replaced by former No. 1 pick Bryan Thomas, a decent backup who has yet to validate his draft status. He has registered only 1-1/2 sacks in 12 career starts, just three in 41 total games.

With Abraham sidelined 10 games last season due to a groin injury, Thomas got his first big chance and responded with zero sacks. But four weeks ago, he started for Shaun Ellis and played the game of his life, managing 1-1/2 sacks.

"Mentally, he's a lot tougher (than last year)," Edwards said of Thomas.

Henderson might be able to tweak the scheme and the personnel groupings to compensate for Abraham's loss. For instance, they could start playing more 3-4 than 4-3, their base front.

Thing is, Thomas isn't a good fit in the 3-4 because he's not adept at dropping into pass coverage, the way Abraham does on occasion as a stand-up end/linebacker. Rookie Trevor Johnson, a better athlete than Thomas, could be used in that role. Henderson also mentioned the possibility of using tackle Dewayne Robertson at end, with James Reed stepping into Robertson's spot."We've got some flexibility," Henderson said. "We're going to be fine. One thing about me: I'm not going to panic."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by papichango@Dec 7 2004, 11:57 AM
    Henderson also mentioned the possibility of using tackle Dewayne Robertson at end, with James Reed stepping into Robertson's spot."We've got some flexibility," Henderson said. "We're going to be fine. One thing about me: I'm not going to panic."
    donnies proven to all of us he knows what hes doing.

we will be fine.

we just wont have any pass rush.

i'm curious to see robertson play DE, he has the speed, could be interesting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we're gonna see more 3-4 till Abe returns ... with Vilma and Cowart at ILB

Call it a hunch

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just have a gut feeling Bryan Thomas will be big in the coming weeks. He seems to be maturing at a fast pace. JMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 7 2004, 12:06 PM
    I think we're gonna see more 3-4 till Abe returns ... with Vilma and Cowart at ILB

Call it a hunch
    cowart still plays for the jets?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    if he's out 3-4 weeks thats fine. As long as he's back for the playoffs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Heard Chad on ESPN radio last night...I think we won't see him until playoffs from his tone.

We won without one of our best offensive players, now we have to win without one of our best defensive players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by flashlight1+Dec 7 2004, 12:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (flashlight1 @ Dec 7 2004, 12:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-papichango@Dec 7 2004, 11:57 AM
    Henderson also mentioned the possibility of using tackle Dewayne Robertson at end, with James Reed stepping into Robertson&#39;s spot."We&#39;ve got some flexibility," Henderson said. "We&#39;re going to be fine. One thing about me: I&#39;m not going to panic."
    donnies proven to all of us he knows what hes doing.

we will be fine.

we just wont have any pass rush.

i&#39;m curious to see robertson play DE, he has the speed, could be interesting. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s got to be the number one reason I like Henderson.

He is not afraid to take chances and or correct whatever decision he
    has made to the press about schemes.

Like using more of the 3-4, but than coming to the realization that this is not
    in his favor or John Abraham&#39;s

Can&#39;t wait to see Robertson as a Defensive End.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by flashlight1+Dec 7 2004, 12:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (flashlight1 @ Dec 7 2004, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham@Dec 7 2004, 12:06 PM
    I think we&#39;re gonna see more 3-4 till Abe returns ... with Vilma and Cowart at ILB

Call it a hunch
    cowart still plays for the jets? [/b][/quote]
    :lol: nice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    Heard Chad on ESPN radio last night...I think we won't see him until playoffs from his tone.

We won without one of our best offensive players, now we have to win without one of our best defensive players.
    Chad may have been a bit off on his return

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ?? You bring up a year old thread for that comment? DUMP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant
    ?? You bring up a year old thread for that comment? DUMP.
    Just reminiscing what it felt like being in the playoff hunt one year ago.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT
    Just reminiscing what it felt like being in the playoff hunt one year ago.
    now i am crying