Thread: PS MOVES

They released Weaver again! Everyone on the board knows how I feel about that.

[url=http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/index.php?content_id=1760§ions_id=#1760]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/index.php?...ctions_id=#1760[/url]

12-07-2004 TOP STORY

Jets Sign DE Joey Evans to Practice Squad, Release DB Weaver

The New York Jets announced Tuesday they have signed defensive end Joey Evans to their practice squad and released safety Jarrell Weaver from their practice squad. The announcement was made by Jets’ Executive Vice President/General Manager Terry Bradway.

Evans, a 6-4, 279-pound defensive end, signed with the Jets following the 2003 season and participated in training camp this year before being waived on August 31, 2004. Prior to signing with the Jets, he spent time on the practice squads of the Seattle Seahawks and Philadelphia Eagles for portions of the 2002 and 2003 seasons and played for NFL Europe’s Frankfurt Galaxy in 2003. The University of North Carolina product was originally drafted in the seventh round of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals.

Weaver, a 6-3, 206-pound defensive back, originally joined the Jets as a rookie free agent on April 30, 2004 and was waived following the conclusion of training camp on August 28, 2004. Weaver appeared in three preseason games this year and recorded seven tackles in addition to one special teams tackle.

The New York Jets (9-3) will travel to Pittsburgh to face the Steelers (11-1) this Sunday, December 12 at Heinz Field. Kickoff is slated for 4:05 p.m.

unbelievable....I still think opponents starting position after kickoffs wouldnt be such a pain if this kid was on specials...

Veteran
    i know training camp is training camp, but the few times i was down there he looked like a spark

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

our kick covereage team is not exactly horrid and weaver is a work in progress.....losing him is no big deal. People get in an uproar since he is gone and Weaver has only shined in practice.

The Jets coaches have enough experience (more than anyone on this board) to know what they are doing regarding talent.

[quote][i]Originally posted by JIMBOJET28[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 01:54 PM
    [b] i know training camp is training camp, but the few times i was down there he looked like a spark [/b][/quote]
    Absolutely agreed jimbo jet. JF....I suppose that's why Ward is returning kicks for TDs for the Giants now, right? Weaver was nursing two injuries in the 2 preseason games he played in. Anyhow, I'm too busy to go on a Weaver rant. Just know I think its was a bad decision.

I've got to agree with freak here. They've been rotating these guys on and off the PS all season. How many of them have been signed to other team's 53 man rosters (other than Ward and Smart, who now everyone wants to have kept as well).

Perhaps they're not ready for prime-time if they're sitting out there waiting to be snapped up. There's no room on the roster for Weaver, let alone anyone else from the PS. Weaver's been cut from the PS before and no one wanted him. I think he'll be around for next training camp, where he may have a better shot.

Just curious, who would you guys cut/deactivate on gameday from the 53 man to have kept Ward and Weaver? I anticipate hearing BJ Askew as one answer, but I'm truly curious to hear the other(s)

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

No1Jetsfan ward returned 1 touchdown (not TD's) vs the redskins in a blowout loss.

Whats the Giants record right now? Why bring up the fact that he was a Jet? We are 9-3 and in a playoff hunt.

As I said before I feel the Jets coaches know what they are doing when they make these moves.

People here have sentimental favorites regarding players but the coaches see it differently...they want players who will help them now.......in 2004 it's been pretty much working.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 03:41 PM
    [b] :ph34r:

No1Jetsfan ward returned 1 touchdown (not TD's) vs the redskins in a blowout loss.

Whats the Giants record right now? Why bring up the fact that he was a Jet? We are 9-3 and in a playoff hunt.

As I said before I feel the Jets coaches know what they are doing when they make these moves.

People here have sentimental favorites regarding players but the coaches see it differently...they want players who will help them now.......in 2004 it's been pretty much working. [/b][/quote]
    Just because they are coaches doesn't make them right. By you're logic, Rich Kotite was always right, b/c he was a coach. Dave Campo was always right, b/c he was a coach. Pete Carroll? Coaches know more then me, you, and anyone on this board, but that doesn't mean they always make the right decisions.

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't have cut Weaver for Evans. I'm guessing with Abraham out, he wanted more depth at DE, so I understand with his reasoning, but not with his decision. If the Jets went out and signed Osama Bin Laden to coach this team, you would defend them. I'm not saying you shouldn't be optimistic, but C'mon man.

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM+Dec 7 2004, 03:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JetsFutureGM @ Dec 7 2004, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetsfreak[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 03:41 PM
    [b] :ph34r:

No1Jetsfan ward returned 1 touchdown (not TD&#39;s) vs the redskins in a blowout loss.

People here have sentimental favorites regarding players but the coaches see it differently...they want players who will help them now.......in 2004 it&#39;s been pretty much working. [/b][/quote]
    Just because they are coaches doesn&#39;t make them right. By you&#39;re logic, Rich Kotite was always right, b/c he was a coach. Dave Campo was always right, b/c he was a coach. Pete Carroll? Coaches know more then me, you, and anyone on this board, but that doesn&#39;t mean they always make the right decisions.

I&#39;m not an expert, but I wouldn&#39;t have cut Weaver for Evans. I&#39;m guessing with Abraham out, he wanted more depth at DE, so I understand with his reasoning, but not with his decision. If the Jets went out and signed Osama Bin Laden to coach this team, you would defend them. I&#39;m not saying you shouldn&#39;t be optimistic, but C&#39;mon man. [/b][/quote]
    Pretty well said. There were other PSers that could have been sacraficed for that spot. You develop the kids with great potential, not those with next to none. We all watched preseason games, we all went to TC at least once. You have to wonder about retentions like Stubbs, Kearney (before they moved him from WR), etc...

Hall Of Fame
    This isnt minor league baseball where you can keep picking up guys and throwing them in your minors. There arent a lot of spots for works in progress and it sucks. But good teams move through this by losing some works in progress, but then picking up a player who was formerly tagged with that title. Its a cycle.

Weaver could become a good ballplayer somewhere, but he will never be a starter. He could become a very good returner and what not, but he happened to be cut cause of the numbers game. Now its up to the Jets FO to replace him with a good player now and in the future.