Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw Lamont Jordan last nite....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 05:11 PM
    [b] If they get Abe re-upped by the end of the season, they could always slap the franchise tag on him. [/b][/quote]
    Great idea. Pay a part time back top 5 money. :huh:

Im a Lamont fan, but hell, if the guy wants to play ball with Bradway and Tannenbaum, I'd love to see him back. If not, we'll get another RB in the draft at some point. Not much we can do about it. Its pretty much LJ's call.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lamont was just bad-timing, and we're just going to have to deal with it. The Jets FO thought Martin would be done by now and Lamont could just step in. This is one of those bad-time scenarios where its predicated by something extremely positive.

Like Brooklyn said, we just gotta get another guy in the draft. Martin will probably be running well for another year or two and then should really slow down, so if Bradway picks up a good RB, then the timing should work out quite well for us.

But you cant Franchise this guy. Yes, its going to suck to lose him but you cannot franchise a guy who will still be your back-up. They need to save that tag for Abe or even K-Mac, somebody who plays a more substantial part on the team. Heck, you might need it in the future if someone else decides to leave. No way they franchise Jordan, they cant do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Heck, you might need it in the future if someone else decides to leave. No way they franchise Jordan, they cant do it.[/b][/quote]

Im confused here, isn't the franchise tag allowed to be used every year...?

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 08:41 PM
    [b] They need to save that tag for Abe or even K-Mac, somebody who plays a more substantial part on the team. Heck, you might need it in the future if someone else decides to leave. No way they franchise Jordan, they cant do it. [/b][/quote]
    Abe yes but no on McKenzie. With the franchise tag, they don't break it down by left and right tackles. You pay him the average of the top five tackles in the league so that means McKenzie would be getting Orlando Pace type money. :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Alk+Dec 7 2004, 08:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Alk @ Dec 7 2004, 08:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheBrodyMan[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 08:41 PM
    [b] They need to save that tag for Abe or even K-Mac, somebody who plays a more substantial part on the team. Heck, you might need it in the future if someone else decides to leave. No way they franchise Jordan, they cant do it. [/b][/quote]
    Abe yes but no on McKenzie. With the franchise tag, they don&#39;t break it down by left and right tackles. You pay him the average of the top five tackles in the league so that means McKenzie would be getting Orlando Pace type money. :blink: [/b][/quote]
    You&#39;re right, I should&#39;ve put more thought into that comment. But the point I was trying to make is that you just cant put that tag on Lamont. I wouldnt put it on K-Mac, but Id rather put it on my starting RT than on my back-up RB :lol:

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Sowell Train[/i]@Dec 7 2004, 08:45 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Heck, you might need it in the future if someone else decides to leave. No way they franchise Jordan, they cant do it.[/b][/quote]

Im confused here, isn&#39;t the franchise tag allowed to be used every year...? [/b][/quote]
    [url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6194643]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6194643[/url]

The Franchise Tag

When a player is "franchised," the team that tags him has tendered (or offered) him a contract on a one-year basis equal to the average 2002 salary of the top five players at his position. If the player accepts the deal, it becomes guaranteed.

Between the designation period (this year, between Feb. 20 and March 15), there&#39;s a window where players can negotiate a long-term deal without the team losing a franchise tag. This allows teams to work a contract out with a player that will last awhile and not cost a team a whole lot nor force the player into a one-year deal.

If the player signs with another team, the new team is required to give up two first-round picks if the former team doesn&#39;t match that offer, regardless of when the player was drafted. This last happened with Joey Galloway before the 2000 season, when Dallas gave two first-round picks to Seattle (the Seahawks took Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson with the picks).

Since the price for signing a franchised player is so high, what teams sometimes do to get around that is arrange a sign-and-trade. The franchised player would sign a new contract agreeable to his new team, then immediately get dealt for a draft pick or picks from an interested team. That way, the player gets a new contract and a new team, but it works out between the teams because the price isn&#39;t two first-round picks. As an example, this happened with DE Kevin Carter when he went from the Rams to the Titans in 2001 in exchange for a first-round pick (spent on Adam Archuleta ).