Thread: OT: Dimebag Darrell of Pantera Damageplan mudered

former pantera and current damageplan guitarest "dimebag" darrell abbott was killed last night at a show, some guy jumped on stage and shot him in the chest :(

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nightclub.shooting/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nightclub...ting/index.html[/url]

Already had a thread about this, but it went south with people cursing and joking around.

Sad, sad news. Dimebag was a great guitarist, and I've got every Pantera album they ever put out. I've even got his Damageplan stuff, which wasn't half bad either.

[img]http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/dimebag.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.rockconcertfotos.com/dime.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36628&st=0]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...opic=36628&st=0[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Man, I'm not a fan of any of them or their music but what a tragedy. Unbelievable.

As for that police officer, he had his s**t together. He probably saved more people through his quick actions.

That's so crazy that that happened...and in my home town nonetheless. Even crazier is that in the article that Destroyer had up on his other post about this I know the two witnesses. It sucks that they had to see that.

[quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 01:03 PM
    [b] As for that police officer, he had his s**t together. He probably saved more people through his quick actions. [/b][/quote]
    Amen to that. That officer probably saved a lot of lives, including the rest of the band.

Rookie
    I happen to be a huge Pantera fan, seen them 6 times, have all of there albums, etc.. This one really stung a bit for. I usually am not affected by deaths of people in the news but this is different for me. I grew up with the group and have to say Dimebag was an influence for me to learn to play guitar. I ejoyed his passion, his antics, and his genuine attitude toward his profession. He will definitley be missed. May your music continue to influence others.

Veteran
    A very sad event.
    Man, Dime just wanted to play music for people.

He was voted top rock guitarist a couple of years by some guitar based mag.
    The guy could play.

Way sorry to hear this.
    Doug S.

Unfriggin believable. What a waste, a damn shame. I liked Pantera a bit, but really respected Dime's playing, he was (was, seems so friggin odd to say that) a damn good and innovative metal guitarist.

Unfrigginbelievable. :( Angry :(

Hall Of Fame
    Do any of you guys have the Alex Skolnick (Testament) "lounge/Jazz" versions of heavy metal standards? I do, and I'll trade ya if interested.

I wasn't a big Pantera fan. I thought they were posers, but this is a sad story. The mental case that shot him and the other people was probably some SS collecting waster. Unfrigginreal. Sucks. What a way to go. Peice of garbage.

A bunch of quotes from other musicians:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Vinnie Paul+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Vinnie Paul)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART&#33;&#33; Twice as big as the state of TEXAS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; DIME gave it all everyday to each and every one of us and our lives have forever been hollowed without him... Thanks to all of you for reaching out to us in this time of our immeasurable loss. REST IN PEACE BROTHER DIME&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;"
    [/b][/quote]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Zakk Wylde+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Zakk Wylde)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>He was beyond beautiful. When he&#39;d walk in the room, he&#39;d light it up. F**k the guitar playing ó he&#39;s right up there with Eddie and Randy and Hendrix. All he wanted to do was make everyone happy. He was the ray of sunshine. Dime will never die ever ó he&#39;s in my veins. He&#39;s sitting at God&#39;s tavern, having a cold one with Randy Rhoads and Hendrix. Dime was an original.

Bottom line: You&#39;ve got Jimi Hendrix, you&#39;ve got Eddie Van Halen, you&#39;ve got Randy Rhoads and you&#39;ve got Dimebag Darrell. His influence will be felt forever. And he was the most genuine, kindest guy you ever met. Dime would give you the shirt off his back. The good Lord put him down here to whoop some ass and make everybody happy, and now He needed him, so He took him. I&#39;m sitting in Dime&#39;s garage right now ó I&#39;m down here to take care of his family, to keep everybody together ó and I&#39;m waiting for him to walk through the door. I&#39;m looking at pictures of him on the wall, pictures of us hanging together, and it just crushes me inside. I&#39;ve never had a brother, but he was as close to blood as possible. My love for him is unconditional and beyond forever.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Scott Ian
    [b]He&#39;s the type of guy that would do anything for his friends. He really did put his family and his friends first, and for him everyone was his family. Once you came into contact with Dimebag and became friends with that guy, it was a sacred bond. Once you shared drinks with that guy, you became a part of his extended family. ... The world hasn&#39;t seen someone with as strong an energy as Dimebag Darrell in my lifetime. He&#39;s one of those few people I&#39;ve met who was absolutely special in every way.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Ozzy
    [b]Dimebag was a dear friend of mine. Iím absolutely beside myself with grief. I canít for the life of me understand why someone would do this.

Pantera toured with me many many times. Iíll always remember the signed guitar that he gave me at my 50th birthday party.

My heart goes out to Dimeís family, his fans and the other innocent victims who were killed in this senseless tragedy. Itís just terribly sad.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Rob Zombie
    [b]I don&#39;t know exactly what to write concerning the death of Darrell. This is beyond shocking and horrible. I still can&#39;t believe it is true. I got the call from my manager Andy Gould, who along with Walter O&#39;brien used to manage Pantera and White Zombie.

During the early ninties White Zombie and Pantera were constant touring partners and I had the pleasure of watching Darrell perform with Pantera easily over a hundred times. For those of you who never saw him, he was without a doubt the most dynamic guitartist on the face of the planet. He was truely one of a kind. A legend.

Off stage he was a cool down to earth guy with the most bizarre sense of humor ever, half the time I didn&#39;t even understand what the hell he was saying. He spoke a language all his own - Dimespeak.

The last time I saw Darrell was with his brother Vinnie standing in the crowd rocking out at a Metallica show. I never got a chance to see his new band, but I&#39;m sure he was as amazing as always.

No one can replace a giant talent like Darrell, he will be missed.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Mustaine
    [b]There is nothing unique or clever to this post, and what I want to say has no doubt already been said throughout the metal community, by countless others whom were more closer to Darrell than me by now.

However, knowing he was murdered tonight, I wish to thank and remember Darrell for his amazing life and the gift that he shared with me and so many other fortunates.

I pray for Darrell&#39;s family and friends; specifically for their healing, their peace, and their understanding of this tragedy in this time of need.

I send my deepest heartfelt condolences to the Abbott family, to Darrell&#39;s friends, and to the fantastic PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN fans around the world.

We must never forget his life, and his gifts, his genius, his terrific personallity, and the legacy he left behind to remember him by.

Darrell, I will see you in heaven and I, like so many more, love you brother.

You will be missed.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Lars Ulrich
    [b]This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don&#39;t even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this f***ing senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.

In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther f***ers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There&#39;s a tendency in these f***ed up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one&#39;s own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians&#39; musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Davis of Korn
    [b]Darrell and Pantera were one of the main reasons I joined a metal band. This is a tragic loss for the music community and to all who knew him. Korn is truly shaken and we want to send our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased.[/b][/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-Abe Cunningham of the Deftones[/i]@
    [b]We had the pleasure of touring three times with Pantera. They treated us so well on the road. We had some great times hanging out with them. They treated us with open arms, especially the brothers [Dimebag and his brother, Vinnie Paul]. Darrell lived the music. We feel terrible, and our hearts go out to his family, brother and father. He was a legend in this business, and an unbelievable musician. He will be missed by all.[/b][/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-Paul Phillips of Puddle of Mudd[/i]
    [b]I think a lot of people know him as this amazing guitar player that you have on your wall or you try to emulate his style, but there are only a select few people that were let into his world and know how genuine and how down to earth he was. For that caliber of a guitar player to be that down to earth is so refreshing. He has every reason in the world to be like, &#39;Get away from me, kid. You don&#39;t know how to play.&#39; He&#39;s not that guy. You were just instantly friends with him. It&#39;s amazing.[/b][/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    I also have dave mustaines the system has failed if interested.

Hall Of Fame
    Dude definitely looks like he&#39;s on paxil:

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/09/national/main659983.shtml]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/09/...ain659983.shtml[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    *bump

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7rkbu5Qals&feature=related[/url]

Bewildered Beast
    RIP; what a shame.