Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dancing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, what exactly is the appeal? :huh:

Seriously, I have never seen it ... never even began to grasp the concept

I mean, I know why Fred & Ginger danced ... for them it was art ... and it's beautiful to watch

But what is the appeal for the average schmuck?

Why do we often dance at large functions like nite clubs, wedding receptions, etc?

Yeah, I'm down with listening to music, but why do we dance to it ... is listening not enough ... are we so ego-centric that we must be an active participant in everything, right down to the music someone else creates?

Is dancing a natural instinct when we hear a catchy tune, or is it a learned behavior?

Are we simply going with the flow ... others seem to be having a good time, so we all join in like sheep?

And here's the BIG QUESTION .....

Would straight men ever dance ... EVER ... if not for women?

For straight men, is this not an activity we engage in only to meet new chicks or keep the ones we already have happy?

It seems to me this is a distinctly female activity ... for men it is only done by necessity

Now don't get me wrong, some of us guys really work at perfecting it ... some can really dance ... I was one of those back in the day ... I actually won dance contests in discos back in the day ... I could hustle like nobodies business ... I would have made John Travolta jealous ... and every girl in the club wanted to hustle with me

Ahhh, but therein lies the key ... [i]every girl in the club wanted to hustle with me[/i]

That was my motive ... my only motive ... to impress chicks ... maybe get a little tail out of the bargain

But make no mistake about it, as good as I was, if not for that I would NEVER have danced in my life

I don't ever recall going out to a club and feeling excited about the prospect of dancing tonite ... meeting women, hell yeah ... dancing, never crossed my mind ... dancing was merely one tool in my arsenal to accomplish the former

My idea of the perfect Saturday nite was to hit a club, meet a nice looking girl, share a few drinks and some pleasant conversation, and you know the rest ... but never once that evening have her ask me to dance

In fact, the one girl I fell head over heals in love with back in the day was the one fox who shared my desire to lead a relatively DANCE FREE life ... but make up for that in ways that were far more enjoyable to us both

But I digress .....

Dancing ... are there any straight men here who actually enjoy the activity, on it's own merits, and with no ulterior motive?

And would any women care to explain the fascination?

PS. I love watching women dance so that is not the issue ... just wondering why woman enjoy this frivilous activity and if straight men enjoy it as well {not watching women dance, but actually participating}?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its primal dude, watch the discovery channel.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ShadeTree#55[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 10:21 AM
    [b] Its primal dude, watch the discovery channel. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, but how do we know if the primal men weren't just in it for the chicks too? :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dancing is a horizontal wish expressed vertically.

Especially when it's getting near closing time, you're randy like a junkyard dog and the girl, who's name you can't remember through the alcohol, is all over you. If it wasn't for the ingrained DNA that tells us we have to procreate, I doubt any straight man would ever dance. And alcohol. That goes double for white guys. Tapping your toes would get it done otherwise.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who missed the context ... this was meant to be a light-hearted look at this phenomenon we call dancing and the differenes between men and women in regards to this mindless endevour :D

In other words, I was thinking maybe we could lighten up the mood around here with a topic about nothing ... sort of Seinfeld-esque

Okay, now talk amongst yourselves ... DANCING ... yea or nay? :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 11:16 AM
    [b] Dancing is a horizontal wish expressed vertically.

Especially when it's getting near closing time, you're randy like a junkyard dog and the girl, who's name you can't remember through the alcohol, is all over you. If it wasn't for the ingrained DNA that tells us we have to procreate, I doubt any straight man would ever dance. And alcohol. That goes double for white guys. Tapping your toes would get it done otherwise. [/b][/quote]
    Sound thesis, my friend

Like I said ... us men only engage for the fringe benifits :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would agree that 90% of straight men are dancers for alterior motive...

however there are the very rare exceptions where a man is just born a dancer (and isn't gay)... savion glover and mickael barisnikov (sp?) are examples

also there's alot of dancing that goes on in pro sports - those guys more than likely aren't gay but just like to express themselves after making a big play?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Travolta can dance.

"my hair, don't hit my hair"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]however there are the very rare exceptions where a man is just born a dancer (and isn't gay)... savion glover and mickael barisnikov (sp?) are examples[/b][/quote]
    See, but I'm referring to casual dancing ... these folks are artists, thus the Fred & Ginger analogy ... and in that setting the art form can be amazing

I would also exclude anyone who dances professionally for money ... at some level this is an artistic endevour ... I'm referring to the average schmuck who dances for sheer enjoyment, or an ulterior motive

It's like a wonderful painting ... that is art ... we all admire it, but we're not all grabing a paint brush and attempting to paint a masterpiece as well ... for the average schmuck who dances, art is the furthest thing from their mind

[quote][b]also there's alot of dancing that goes on in pro sports - those guys more than likely aren't gay but just like to express themselves after making a big play?[/b][/quote]
    That's not dancing ... that's simply creative celebration ... not the same

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ShadeTree#55[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 12:27 PM
    [b] John Travolta can dance.

"my hair, don't hit my hair" [/b][/quote]
    ONE PORK CHOP!! ... ONE!!

Ya see, I work all day on my hair and he hits my hair ... he hits my hair :(

:lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 11:16 AM
    [b] Dancing is a horizontal wish expressed vertically.

[/b][/quote]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

It can also be used as a strategy towards the goal of accomplishing that horizontal wish! ;)

To my mind there is nothing sexier than a female who knows how to shake it (except for large boobs perhaps).

When I was single and hit the clubs I would dig women who could groove.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 01:06 PM
    [b] To my mind there is nothing sexier than a female who knows how to shake it (except for large boobs perhaps).

When I was single and hit the clubs I would dig women who could groove. [/b][/quote]
    Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah!! :D

Which brings to mind another question .....

While straight men would rather be shot in the head than dance with one another, why will two or more hetro girls not even think twice about dancing with one another, and even love it?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Dec 11 2004, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Dec 11 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 01:06 PM
    [b] To my mind there is nothing sexier than a female who knows how to shake it (except for large boobs perhaps).

When I was single and hit the clubs I would dig women who could groove. [/b][/quote]
    Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah&#33;&#33; :D

While straight men would rather be shot in the head than dance with one another, why will two or more hetro girls not even think twice about dancing with one another, and even love it? [/b][/quote]
    Probably the same reason why the thought of two-guys getting it on together turns the stomach of a straight guys yet when two girls.... ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Dec 11 2004, 12:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Dec 11 2004, 12:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 01:06 PM

While straight men would rather be shot in the head than dance with one another, why will two or more hetro girls not even think twice about dancing with one another, and even love it? [/b][/quote]
    I read once that it comes down to the male body and the female body. The male body is pretty repulsive (in general) when you think about it. With the exception of a few models, it&#39;s just a very awkward, kind of gross thing. Most woman arent neccesarily attracted to the average male body or its sexual organs. Between the hair and "it", it justs a gross thing. Woman are just attracted to men themselves, not the body.

Woman, on the other hand, have a very nice body. Its clean, not rough, and its sexual organ also isnt considered gross. So really, all humans are attracted or in admiration of the female figure. They arent repullsed by it.

So a woman can dance with another girls because theyre just dancing with another well-constructed specimen. Whereas, if a guy dances with a guy, then he is just dancing with another badly-constructed specimen. And I&#39;m not saying this because I&#39;m attracted to woman or anything, because this has nothing to do with attraction. It has to do with our beliefs since we were younger about the male body vs. the female body.

Think about it: When guys and girls hit puberty, the guys body becomes unattractive because what he does begin to visibally gain? He begins to grow hair and stuff, which is generally not thought of as attractive. A woman, on the other hand, begins to grow breasts, which is thought of as very attractive.

One can argue this comfortableness ebgins to break apart and develop through puberty. A boy before he hits puberty doesnt mind hugging another boy or anything when they are younger. Why? Because theres nothing repulsing them. Then, when they begin to grow hair and such, they start becoming repullsed by it because nobody every compliments a boy on the hair on their arms or anything. Instead, they assume that it&#39;s just nasty and that&#39;s why girls with a lot of hair can become unattractive. Girls on the other hand, are complimented by their breasts when they grow so they dont feel the need to be uncomfortable with another girl, typically.

Of course there are exceptions. Some guys are not repullsed by hair and some girls feel more uncomfortable cause of their chest. Just trying to answer about the average person.

Wow, I cant believe I went off on this long of a tangent. Its not like I really think about this ever, I just got on some sort of roll I guess. I mean it could all be crap, but it was fun typing. Now I feel like Jets5 :P

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting question Ham...if a bit odd :lol:

I don&#39;t "dance" per se. The music I listen to (Metallica, Alice in Chains, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Greatful Dead, Rusted Root and various other lesser know Metal, Mellorock & Hippie bands) doesn;t really lend itself to traditional dancing (i.e you don&#39;t ballroom dance to Iron Maiden, lol&#33;)

However, even as self-conscious a person as I am (definitly not an attention craver, at least in the real world) I often get caught up in the music and find myself doing....well, something.

At Metal, Industrial & Punk shows I have indeed banged my head in tune with the band. I have moshed too.

At Floydian shows I have done the bellygazer head-nod, the "dude, that is so.....cosmic" little nod of the head to the music, along with all the other stoners.

At Dead shows and Skynyrd shows I have done the worst of all.....danced like a Deadhead (if you&#39;ve never seen it, there is simply no way I can explain it other than to say you simply let your body move as the music instructs).

However, beyond that, I do not dance at all. Just not inspired to do so.

"Dancing" is a facet of Music (a passion of mine) for me, not girls or sex. That isn&#39;t to say I don&#39;t like hot women dancing, because I do. But to me it&#39;s two different things, one is watching girls dance (spectator sport) and is related to sexuallity. The other, my own "dancing" is related to feeling the music deep inside my soul, and moving in accordance to it&#39;s wishes.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Dec 11 2004, 03:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan &#064; Dec 11 2004, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 11 2004, 12:14 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 01:06 PM

I read once that it comes down to the male body and the female body. The male body is pretty repulsive (in general) when you think about it. With the exception of a few models, it&#39;s just a very awkward, kind of gross thing. Most woman arent neccesarily attracted to the average male body or its sexual organs. Between the hair and "it", it justs a gross thing. Woman are just attracted to men themselves, not the body.

[/b][/quote]
    hmmm...this is not directed towards you Brody but it sounds like a bunch of fat, out-of-shape guys came up with that one...just like guys with small wankers are always the first to say "it&#39;s not the size of the wave"&#33; :lol: :lol:

Chicks will always go with security and a nice guy for purposes of marriage but when it comes to dating a guy and playing "hide the salami" for a couple of weeks/months don&#39;t fool yourself- big biceps always beats a big waist&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm... i often read the political forum but never post. just don&#39;t want to get into it... but this is a different subject, so i thought i would add a female perspective.

Dancing is a way that women can move how ever they want without worrying about it being percieve as soley sexual. we can do it in public and with abandon. We can let out our inhibitions and laugh at the same time. It is also a good form of exercise. :) we don&#39;t feel strange about dancing with other women because we don&#39;t have hangups about being with the same sex in a non-sexual situation.

most women i know love men who can dance. it gives a sense of how they might move in other situations. BUT it doesn&#39;t mean that if a man can&#39;t dance, he is useless. . so for those who cant dance...don&#39;t get worried LOL.

of course, this is just one woman&#39;s opinion. :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BrodyMan you should get a double major in gender studies :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by greengal[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 08:51 PM
    [b] of course, this is just one woman&#39;s opinion. :) [/b][/quote]
    yes...but greengal...inquiring minds want to know what women think of this statement: [quote][b]Woman are just attracted to men themselves, not the body.
    [/b][/quote]

Not in the context of "until death do us apart" either.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Dec 11 2004, 09:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Dec 11 2004, 09:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-greengal[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 08:51 PM
    [b] of course, this is just one woman&#39;s opinion. :) [/b][/quote]
    yes...but greengal...inquiring minds want to know what women think of this statement: [quote][b]Woman are just attracted to men themselves, not the body.
    [/b][/quote]

Not in the context of "until death do us apart" either..... [/b][/quote]
    ok...:) a good body doesn&#39;t hurt ;) but i do believe that women are more forgiving about different body types, even in the short tem relationship. You will see nice looking women with not the greatest looking guys but it is rare that you will see a plain woman with a good looking guy.

just because a guy is good looking doesn&#39;t mean he has the right ingredients to sustain a relationship past a couple of dates.