Thread: Owners reject union proposal

Veteran
    According to ESPN owners will counterpropose union proposal tomorrow

Hall Of Fame
    Suprise Suprise Suprise

At this rate they'll be lucky to get next season started on time

Meeting is scheduled for 1 P.M. Owners will say hello, here is our counter-proposal. It contains a hrd salary cap. Union will get up and walk out.

Total elapsed time - 45 seconds. Result? No NHL season for 2004-2005.

Hall Of Fame
    A pox on them all.

I still think the players may give in--the 1995 season strike was settled after January of 1995, I think.

But, it seemed more fans cared then...Personally, I say just scrap this season, rather than follow 1995's scenario and sign another weak deal.

Veteran
    In 1995 the negotiations were constantly back and forth. This lockout has 3 months passing in between proposals. In addition, here in the NY area, the Rangers just won the Cup, so hockey was at a fever pitch.

Hall Of Fame
    It's all over fellas, although I think we know it was all over anyways.

See ya in 2005.............maybe

does anyone else view Gary Bettman as a bobblehead, blithering idiot?

All Pro
    i am sure people in Florida, Carolina, Phoenix, Atlanta, and Colombus are absolutely heartbroken over no NHL this year.

All League
    It took three months passing to negotiate for two days if you can call it negotiation. It looks like the next time we will see pro hockey is in the Winter Olympics in 2006.
    I do not believe how ignorant these guys can be that here in the U.S no one cares or is paying any attention to them. And I am one of the biggest hockey fans out there.

Veteran
    Originally posted by ASH_1962@Dec 14 2004, 10:08 PM
    Sorry-this ones on the players. The NHL is far from the other leagues and they players are acting as if they are in a major sport. The NHL needs to financially strengthen their franchises-salary cap is the only answer. As the league financially strengthens itself the players will benefit (see the NFL).
    Yes Bettman is a jerk and is largely responsible for the state of the NHL now, but he's right here-the NHL needs a hard cap.

Originally posted by sect112row36+Dec 16 2004, 08:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sect112row36 @ Dec 16 2004, 08:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ASH_1962@Dec 14 2004, 10:08 PM
    Sorry-this ones on the players. The NHL is far from the other leagues and they players are acting as if they are in a major sport. The NHL needs to financially strengthen their franchises-salary cap is the only answer. As the league financially strengthens itself the players will benefit (see the NFL).
    Yes Bettman is a jerk and is largely responsible for the state of the NHL now, but he&#39;s right here-the NHL needs a hard cap. [/b][/quote]
    Yes, the NHL is a bunch of financially weak teams, but who agreed to all that expansion? There are 6-8 teams that should not be there at all.

Veteran
    Originally posted by mbn007+Dec 16 2004, 01:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Dec 16 2004, 01:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by sect112row36@Dec 16 2004, 08:43 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-ASH_1962
    @Dec 14 2004, 10:08 PM

Yes Bettman is a jerk and is largely responsible for the state of the NHL now, but he&#39;s right here-the NHL needs a hard cap.
    Yes, the NHL is a bunch of financially weak teams, but who agreed to all that expansion? There are 6-8 teams that should not be there at all. [/b][/quote]
    Thats what I meant that Bettman is largely responsible for the state of the current NHL. Bettman has made terrible decisions, and had been by and large a very poor commisioner. The owners put themselves in the position they are currently in, but at some point you need to stop repeating past mistakes and correct your faulty ways. Hopefully thats where this is headed.

both sides are killing hockey the more they don&#39;t play the more the fans learn to live without it.
    People are not really missing hockey except for candiens