I'm on a wavelength far from home
    I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    I dial it in from south of the border
    I hear the talking of the dj
    Can't understand just what does he say?

Radio radio...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As your old Army buddy, I feel compelled to respond to your posting of the lyrics to one of my favorite songs. It's not one now. Music has evolved since Wall of Voodoo and the crass businessman David Bowie. I like that song, Sunshine Sunshine Where Are You? by Miss TK and the Revenge. I like Would too. From Alice in Chains. And Starseed by Our Lady Peace.

Were you this guy? When the Jesus and Mary Chain were big but before that song with Hope Sandoval I told you or somebody else that they said that David Bowie was just a businessman who had done nothing for rock and roll. You or that other guy got all offended and attacked the J&MC. Ten years later Bowie does some sort of stock or bonds thing with his catalogue and you can invest in it or some s**t, and now it's rated the same as a junk bond. I hope that it was you that this story pertains to so that I can laugh in your face now. Especially if you invested in it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, are you insane? Bowie has written some of [i]The[/i] best rock and roll tunes [i]ever[/i]. I don't give a fck if he was in it just for the money.

Stop bagging on Bowie, already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Moses[/i]@Dec 17 2004, 02:30 AM
    [b] I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    And the touch of a world that is older
    Turn the switch and check the number
    Leave it on when in bed I slumber
    I hear the rhythms of the music
    I buy the product and never use it

I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio

I dial it in and tune the station
    They talk about the u.s. inflation
    I understand just a little
    No comprende--it's a riddle

I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio

I wish I was in Tiajuana
    Eating barbequed iguana
    I'd take requests on the telephone
    I'm on a wavelength far from home
    I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    I dial it in from south of the border

Radio radio... [/b][/quote]
    I prefer Celtic Frost's versions......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Bowie now pretends that all that swishy stuff was somebody else is pretty laughable. But "Heroes" and "The Man Who Sold the World" alone are 2 of the best songs ever. And I'm sure you can think up a few more. Very inconsistent in concert-seen him put on a great show, but also mail it in. "Crass businessman" is such a 1970s thing. Do you get paid in thank you notes?Anyone dumb enough to so invest knew it wassn't a good deal going in.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://media.phillyburbs.com/entertainment/1204bowiebing.jpg[/img]

This is a great article:

[url=http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/259-12042003-207164.html]http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/259...003-207164.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my humble opinion, Bowie's Hunky Dory is one of the best albums I've ever heard....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Dec 17 2004, 09:48 AM
    [b] In my humble opinion, Bowie's Hunky Dory is one of the best albums I've ever heard.... [/b][/quote]
    Yup. Rick Wakeman on piano, Mick Ronson on guitar...

Great album. And that was made when he was still an unknown. Even though he recorded Space Oddity in 1969, it didn't become a hit until the mid 70's when it was release on CHANGESONE best of Bowie. That was the first Bowie album we owned. One of my older brothers brought it home. It was a watermark in my life to say the least. So Bowie's pre-Ziggy work became popular only retroactively. Back then, record companies would let artists put 4 or 5 albums out, even though they wouldn't sell, because they would bank on the band hitting it big that one time, and then the plethora of fans would go out and buy the entire catolog. Like Pink Floyd with Dark Side of the Moon; they sold twice as many copies of Atom Heart Mother in 1972, than they did from 69-71 total.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Dec 16 2004, 10:40 PM
    [b]

Jesus and Mary Chain with Hope Sandoval [/b][/quote]
    I love that song. But Mazzy Star sucked.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another big criteria for greatness is how often you are copied. And let's face it, Bowie has launched a hundred imitators. The Psychedelic Furs not withstanding.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Bowie has launched a hundred imitators.[/b][/quote]

Oh, c'mon guy. Bowie is the imitator. I'm not saying that he isn't a wonderful singer and a good songwriter but the point that Jesus and Mary were making is that Bowie shouldn't be deified and put on the same pedestal as innovators like Dylan, Lennon, McClaren and Lee "Scratch" Perry. Just look, Little Richard and David Johannson were dressing up like *****es long before Bowie, and as for that spiders from Mars bull****,..Arthur Brown was the god of hell fire while Bowie was still banging cheerleaders. So put that in your hat and smoke it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Dec 17 2004, 10:37 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Bowie has launched a hundred imitators.[/b][/quote]

Oh, c'mon guy. Bowie is the imitator. I'm not saying that he isn't a wonderful singer and a good songwriter but the point that Jesus and Mary were making is that Bowie shouldn't be deified and put on the same pedestal as innovators like Dylan, Lennon, McClaren and Lee "Scratch" Perry. Just look, Little Richard and David Johannson were dressing up like *****es long before Bowie, and as for that spiders from Mars bull****,..Arthur Brown was the god of hell fire while Bowie was still banging cheerleaders. So put that in your hat and smoke it. [/b][/quote]
    Hey, when it gets right down to it, we're all dipping from the same well, guy.

Bowie ripped off Little Richard and Screamin' Jay. The Beatles ripped off Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly. But eventually, the great one's alway move on to another level. And Bowie definitely moved on to another level, just like the Beatles. Look at all that stuff he did with Brian Eno and Robert Fripp. C'mon man, the water in the well ran a little bit deeper than wearing mascara and platform boots. These mellow black chics just put my spine out of place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Bowie discovered Luther Vandross. That's him on background vocals in Young Americans. Was too, you boys.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Bowie just have major bypass surgery? I saw him in concert in '83- a little dissapointed myself.

Has some great songs though- Stay, 1984.