Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: O.T. Nets Fans

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to thank your management for getting Vince Carter off our hands

And thanks for the 2 1st rd draft picks too.

If Carter can be rejuvenated (and believe me, im rooting for him), I see this team as potentially being dangerous with Kidd, VC and R-Jeff running the breaks and getting alley-oops...however, the Nets will be left with the horse-sh1ttiest frontcourt in the history of NBA frontcourts

Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine, and Nenad Kristic won't cut it. They also have approx. $46 mil tied up for VC, R-Jeff and Kidd, so they dont have the flexibility to bring in a big man.

So if VC can get back to being the real VC, then you win the trade. If he stays what he is, then we win the deal, simple as that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a crappy trade for the NETS

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JetMan55@Dec 17 2004, 09:45 PM
    shhh, dont say that too loud, the delusional Net fans might try to argue with you that two high draftpicks cant produce the amazing 15.9 points per game that Vince is putting up this year when he isn't busy sitting on the bench with injuries :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill argue it for the Nets because the draft picks probably wont be very high picks. I pretty much hate Carter as much as anyone in the league, but they basically gave up nothing for him though I liked Eric Williams. The Nets had 4 first rounders to use. Im not sure which they gave up, but other than their own they are all protected picks, meaning odds are none of them will be lottery picks. The Clippers pick can be used this year if they are not in the bottom 14 and the 76ers if they are not the worst 8. The Nuggets pick is not good until 2006.

They gave up Aaron Williams, who had found his way out of the rotation, and Alonzo Mourning who did nothing but complain and didn't want to be in Jersey so he is now the Raptors headache. Cap-wise its not that big of a deal. Mourning would have still been on the Nets roster through next season and Mutombo finally comes off the cap next year. Their roster for next year is probably around 50 million in guaranteed deals which is roughly right where they are right now anyway.

Considering what else is in the east, is Scalabrine, Kristic, and Collins really that much worse than Zo with the same group? I don't think so. This also gives the Nets the most explosive three guys in the backcourt in the conference.

Carter is a jerk, but my guess is these little injuries go away if he comes to a winning team. You cant argue it being a bad trade for a guy who will score 20 a game for a team that cant score at all for basically two draft picks that may not even kick in until 2006 and won't be top 7 picks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackout806+Dec 17 2004, 10:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blackout806 @ Dec 17 2004, 10:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JetMan55@Dec 17 2004, 09:45 PM
    shhh, dont say that too loud, the delusional Net fans might try to argue with you that two high draftpicks cant produce the amazing 15.9 points per game that Vince is putting up this year when he isn&#39;t busy sitting on the bench with injuries :lol: [/b][/quote]
    2 high draft picks?? I love when Knick fans use loose facts to denigrade the Nets. Both picks are lottery protected picks first of all. Second of all, with a team of Camby, Carmelo, K-Mart, and Nene, even in the West, that won&#39;t be a high draft pick and Philly&#39;s pick is lottery protected for 2 seasons. Especially now in the NBA, high schoolers or European draft picks taken 15 and beyond can take years to develop and by the time they&#39;re good, they&#39;re free agents. The Nets traded a guy getting 6 minutes a game, a guy who hated being a Net, and a solid role player with 2 uncertain draft picks for a guy who could be Ken Griffey, Jr. or he could be a top 10 NBA player. On top of all that, the Nets still held onto the Clippers pick and that is the valuable one. Definately a good trade for the Nets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, it&#39;s a no-loss situation for the Nets.

Worst case scenario they lose two high picks, and they shedded Mourning.

Meanwhile the upside is big if Vince stays healthy and puts his heart into it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Icer@Dec 20 2004, 11:25 PM
    I agree, it&#39;s a no-loss situation for the Nets.

Worst case scenario they lose two high picks, and they shedded Mourning.

Meanwhile the upside is big if Vince stays healthy and puts his heart into it.
    After thinking about this some more, I am starting to feel that the Nets are really losing nothing, except a chance for 2 good players down the road. But if Carter stays healthy, they may get a nice 3-some of a basketball team. They do need a "4" and a "5", and they can&#39;t contend without these 2 missing pieces.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering its the East, the Nets will be fine with Kristic in a year or two. I really like what I have seen so far from him. He has a knack for positioning himself for a block and his offense looks like it could be good. He has some big time foul issues though and needs to learn to adjust his passing game(way too many kick outs late in the clock) for the NBA style where he has to take the shot and not give it up. But 2 years down the road he will have been a steal. Now at the PF spot they have some big time issues. My guess is they will be drafting 2 bigger guys(more likely) or packaging their picks to try to move up to get someone that can play the 4 in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Nets have fans? :blink:

I could&#39;ve sworn that building is dead empty unless it&#39;s a playoff game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Dec 21 2004, 08:09 PM

I could&#39;ve sworn that building is dead empty unless it&#39;s a playoff game.
    With the prices to see a crappy NBA game, can you blame fans for showing up only to see a product worthy of being witnessed? I am a Nets fan, but I have had pretty much the same amount of passion for the team during my life (except when they make the playoffs)....very little. The reason? The NBA has sucked ever since Michael Jordan retired (the 2nd time from the Bulls), plain and simple. College Basektball has always been much more of a passion for me, especially now that I attend a school with a pretty good D-1A basketball program (UNC-Wilmington).

In any case, reverting back to the topic: I like the move, it has plenty of upside. If Carter gets hurt or doesnt produce, so be it, they will be in the same spot they are in now; a bottom feeder. If it works out? They are back in the playoffs and giving the fans more of a reason to watch the games. Sure they lose their frontcourt and 2 picks, but none of the players they lost are irreplacable, dumping Zo&#39;s contract was big in itself, and, of course, there is never any guarentee picks work out. I believe they still have 2 1st-rounders left, and ever since they let go of Kenyon Martin, there was an absolute need to fill the void with a playmaker who can give the team and its fan base a bit of a lift. If Carter works out, they most certainly will have gotten it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So....

TomShane
    You know who the Nets need right now? Rick Mahorn. Put a young Rick Mahorn on that team and you have something.