Thread: Mosul Blast

in light of the recent Mosul Blast that killed 20 Americans - im just posing two general questions and then letting people answer -

1) will the fighting ever stop in Iraq?

2) if yes, how much longer do you think this crap will go on for?

Hall Of Fame
    In light of the recent murder in Philadelphia, will crime ever stop? If yes, how much longer do you think this crap will go on for?

Bitonti, yes, I think this stuff will stop eventually. However, terrorist attacks, like crime, can and will likely always occur on some sort of scale. Your question is a bit simplistic, which is why I answered the way I did. But I do think things will improve greatly...as to when, who knows?

i know i said i wouldn't initially respond but since you answered my question with a question...

so you are equating terrorism _in IRAQ_ to crime _in Philly_?

Iraq is US territory now?

Hall Of Fame
    Bitonti, I am illustrating that your question is not really "answerable." I am not equating the two things, either...again, that is an over-simplification.

My point is that, on some level, terrorism will likely always be a part of Iraq, as it is with most Muslim nations.

so is it fair to say that your answer to question #1 is a simple "no?"

:lol:

Hall Of Fame
    I guess so :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

1- yes

2- as long as it takes.

Sad we lost those guys and I pray for their families, especially around the Holidays.

In their rush to push the panic button and exasperate the situation yesterday CNN interviewed some guy who wrestles for the WWF. A bunch of them went over to visit the troops in Bahgdad, Mosul, etc. The reporter asked him, "what did he see over in Iraq that stood out the most?" His response? Point blank- "all the good that's being done and never reported. 1000's of Iraqi's glad Americans are there to help."

Terrorism was not created overnight and was allowed to grow resistance free for eight years.....it is not going to end overnight.

No. The fighting will never stop.

They are animals.

Period.

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142374,00.html]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142374,00.html[/url]

[quote][b][b]Mosul Attack Likely Work of Homicide Bomber[/b]

Thursday, December 23, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq The U.S. military was re-examining security measures at bases across Iraq (search) on Thursday, a day after saying an attack that killed 22 people at a camp near Mosul (search ) was likely carried out by a homicide bomber who may have had inside information.

The explosion on Monday at the tightly guarded U.S. base raised questions about how the attacker infiltrated the compound, which is surrounded by blast walls and barbed wire and watched by U.S. troops who search every person going in and check his identity.

However Iraqis do a variety of jobs at the base, including translation, cleaning, cooking, construction and office duties.

A spokesman for the U.S. military command in Baghdad (search) said Thursday security measures are subjected to changes when needed.

"It is a fluid situation where our security measures and plans are constantly being adapted and reworked," said 1st Sgt. Steve Valley.

The apparent sophistication of Tuesday's operation one of the deadliest single attacks on U.S. troops since the war began indicated the attacker probably had inside knowledge of the base's layout and the soldiers' schedule. The blast came at lunchtime.

"We always have force protection keeping their eyes out," Lt. Col. Paul Hastings, spokesman for Task Force Olympia (search), the main force that controls northern Iraq, said Thursday. "For somebody that wants to take his life and kill himself, its very difficult to stop those people."

Asked how will they act following the attack, Hastings said that now that the cause of the attack is known, "a full investigation is now ongoing and from that full investigation we will act according."

At the Pentagon Wednesday, Gen. Richard Myers, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said a homicide bomber had apparently strapped an explosive device to his body and entered the dining hall where the blast occurred.

In western Baghdad, a U.S. soldier was killed and two were wounded by a roadside bomb, the U.S. command said. The attack occurred at 8:00 a.m. Thursday and the victims were members of the U.S. Army's Task Force Baghdad, which is in charge of security in the Iraqi capital.

The death raises the number of U.S. troops who have died since the start of the war in March 2003 to at least 1,322 members, according to an unofficial count by The Associated Press.

Early Thursday, hundreds of U.S. troops, Iraqi National Guards and Kurdish militiamen were seen in the streets of Mosul moving around in Bradley Fighting vehicles. In some eastern neighborhoods such as Muharebeen, Nour, Karama and Hadbaa they entered homes in search of weapons. One of the city's five bridges over the Tigris River reopened Thursday, after all were blocked off by U.S. troops on Wednesday.

Schools remained closed but more people were seen in the streets compared with the previous day. Iraqi National Guards manned a checkpoint near another U.S. base, the former palace of Saddam Hussein, stopping passing cars and searching them.

Residents said they were worried about the worsening situation in their city, which has seen a sharp upsurge of rebel activity in the past several months.

[b]"We see things going from bad to worse every day. All we need is security and peace but I do not see this happening," said Abbas Hussein, 32, a carpenter. "I hope there will be a divine miracle so that the situation becomes stable."[/b]

A radical Sunni Muslim group, the Ansar al-Sunnah Army, claimed responsibility, saying a homicide bomber had carried out the strike.

Military officials in Iraq said Wednesday that shrapnel from the explosion included small ball bearings, which are often used in homicide bombings but are not usually part of shrapnel from rockets or mortars.

The attack sparked renewed concerns about the ability of U.S. troops and their Iraqi allies to secure elections Jan. 30. The military said they had expected an increase in violence as insurgents attempt to derail the vote for an assembly that will draft Iraq's new constitution.

"Insurgents, who have everything to lose, are desperate to create the perception that elections are not possible," said Gen. George W. Casey, the commander of multinational forces in Iraq. "We will not allow terrorist violence to stop progress toward elections."

In the immediate aftermath of Saddam Hussein's ouster in April 2003, U.S. commanders cited Mosul with a population of 1.2 million some 220 miles north of Baghdad as a success story. But armed opposition has mounted, especially since last month's successful U.S.-led operation to retake the insurgent-held town of Fallujah.

Many insurgents apparently moved to Mosul, where guerrillas launched a coordinated surprise attack in November against police stations. The municipal police force, estimated at over 6,000 officers, disintegrated; despite the success of U.S. troops a few days later in re-establishing control, only part of the police force has returned to work.

[/b][/quote]

still would like more opinions about the above question

1) will fighting stop

2) if so wheN?

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 10:07 AM
    [b]

still would like more opinions about the above question

1) will fighting stop

2) if so wheN? [/b][/quote]
    ..sorry, I only venture into this part of the board every month or so...

1) Probably not. The "good" muslims of the world privately think terror-culture is cute. Their committment to peace with the world is about as genuine as our (if you're white) parents' and grandparents' was to civil rights in the '60s US.

2) When they decide to be nice. Frankly, I don't think the west "imposed" on them enough during the Clinton Administration etc to justfiy 9/11. Sure, they aren't happy with GW doing "Sherman's March" thru the motherland, but doing nothing didn't do us much good either. These people need to prove they're not Klingons for me to support a pullout.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JerryK[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 09:27 PM
    [b]

The "good" muslims of the world privately think terror-culture is cute. Their committment to peace with the world is about as genuine as our (if you're white) parents' and grandparents' was to civil rights in the '60s US.

[/b][/quote]
    Bad analogy. I disagree with this sentiment because it reinforces the myth that white america in the 50's and 60's had no sense of right and wrong. By and large, most white's were sincerely and genuinely in favor of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act.

Secondly, to compare a percieved white indifference to civil rights to the arab world's indifference to islamic extremism is a stretch. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    JerryK-

I strongly recommend to you and everyone to read Daniel Patrick Moynihan's 1965 report The Negro Family: The Case for National Action.

It correctly undermines the liberal paradigm, and will definitely give you an entirely new perspective on how you view- and judge- the establishment circa 1950/1960.

[url=http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/history/webid-meynihan.htm]http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/history/we...id-meynihan.htm[/url]

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 01:06 PM
    [b] In light of the recent murder in Philadelphia, will crime ever stop? If yes, how much longer do you think this crap will go on for?

Bitonti, yes, I think this stuff will stop eventually. However, terrorist attacks, like crime, can and will likely always occur on some sort of scale. Your question is a bit simplistic, which is why I answered the way I did. But I do think things will improve greatly...as to when, who knows? [/b][/quote]
    You are a moron--How dare you compare murder in Philly to the butchering of American troops--I have always said that you war mongers hate our military--This proves it beyond any doubt.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by rextilleon+Jan 5 2005, 06:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (rextilleon @ Jan 5 2005, 06:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 01:06 PM
    [b] In light of the recent murder in Philadelphia, will crime ever stop? If yes, how much longer do you think this crap will go on for?

Bitonti, yes, I think this stuff will stop eventually. However, terrorist attacks, like crime, can and will likely always occur on some sort of scale. Your question is a bit simplistic, which is why I answered the way I did. But I do think things will improve greatly...as to when, who knows? [/b][/quote]
    You are a moron--How dare you compare murder in Philly to the butchering of American troops--I have always said that you war mongers hate our military--This proves it beyond any doubt. [/b][/quote]
    as oppose to scum-libs like yourself...who smuggly sit by as it whittles away...pathetic, truely, er truly pathetic&#33;

I think you chicken hawks actually take pleasure when an American dies fighting this phoney war---You can raise the flag, sing God Bless America from the comfort of your little Levitown Houses---------Go Jets&#33;

enough is enough get our troops out of there&#33;&#33;&#33;