Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The play no one's talkin about....

Practice Squad
    4th and 2 at the Pats 37 yard line in the third quarter with about 8 minutes left. Why not go for that? Try to give the offense a spark and even get the crowd back into it. Instead, Herm opts for the punt, Gowin punts it to about the 13 and only two plays later, the Patriots are right back at their 38, go on a long drive, and eventually kick a FG to go up 16-0. IMO, that was a 6 or 10 point swing and the decision just epitomizes our coach, as having no guts whatsoever. Just look at Peyton Manning, waving the unit off the field and going for it on 4th and 4 on their OWN 26 and converting. Just another frustrating observation from a frustrating game.

I agree they should have gone for it there, were too close to be punting, too far for FG, 4th and 2 is very makeable.
    But I would not say this epitomizes Herm, he's been pretty agressive going for it on 4th through the season and others. I think in general most teams don't go for it on 4th often enough.

if they don't get it their, it becomes that much harder

Practice Squad
    How does it become harder? Two plays later the Pats were right at the same line of scrimmage. We've relied on our defense enough. If we ever want to be an elite team, we have to go for it their and put the pressure on the Pats and even on ourselves to make a defining, momentum changing play. And we started that drive on our own 22, moved the ball fairly well with a big 18 yard completion to Cotchery on a 3rd and 5 and in the typical Jets fashion under Paul Hackett, the offense stalled. I think it was during the Minnesota-Green Bay Game, but on a 3rd and short, Culpepper faked a handoff inside and flipped it outside to Bennett who broke it for a big gain. THat's the type of play I want on 4th and 2 at a time when our offense has done pretty much nothing.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jpoppy7[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:08 PM
    [b] I agree they should have gone for it there, were too close to be punting, too far for FG, 4th and 2 is very makeable.
    But I would not say this epitomizes Herm, he's been pretty agressive going for it on 4th through the season and others. I think in general most teams don't go for it on 4th often enough. [/b][/quote]
    i was screaming for them to go...and Im amost always a PuNT GUY

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

When you Play Scared that's what happens!! No trick plays this week!
    The Team was Flatter then Twiggy at 12..So much for the Master
    Motivator!! :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Didn't even bother to try to draw the Pats offside with motion of faking going for it. iT WAS ON A PLACE IN THE FILED THAT A 5-YARD DOG MEANT NOTHING. Totally devoid of imagination. DUMB.

Lets face it HERMAN EDWARDS is a GREAT Motivator.........But A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HEAD COACH!!!!!! For 4 years Ive given him the benefit of the doubt...I said "they hired Herman because he [b]CAN[/b] coach....his hiring wasnt one of those obligatory "AFFIRMATIVE ACTION" decisions !!
    All things always come to the light.... Our Head Coach cannot coach. Our Offensive Coordinator is overrated and his schemes are outdated. Our QB never had a strong arm , Randy Moss actually made him look good.
    I bought my nephews NY JETS jerseys for X-mas.... no wonder they wanted Patriot ones.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JETS1580[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] 4th and 2 at the Pats 37 yard line in the third quarter with about 8 minutes left. Why not go for that? [/b][/quote]

What about after the Jets scored the touchdown?

Why not go for 2?

As unlikely as it was, 3 TD's and 3, 2-point conversions wins the game.

Was Hermy playing again for the tie (1 TD + 1 PAT, 2-TD's and 2-2 point conversions)? :blink:

Even PennyBoyWonder was calling for a 2-pointer after that TD.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JETS1580[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] 4th and 2 at the Pats 37 yard line in the third quarter with about 8 minutes left. Why not go for that? Try to give the offense a spark and even get the crowd back into it. Instead, Herm opts for the punt, Gowin punts it to about the 13 and only two plays later, the Patriots are right back at their 38, go on a long drive, and eventually kick a FG to go up 16-0. IMO, that was a 6 or 10 point swing and the decision just epitomizes our coach, as having no guts whatsoever. Just look at Peyton Manning, waving the unit off the field and going for it on 4th and 4 on their OWN 26 and converting. Just another frustrating observation from a frustrating game. [/b][/quote]
    They should have run Lamont on 3rd and 2, and again on 4th down if needed. The roll out call was a head scratcher.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Dec 27 2004, 04:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Dec 27 2004, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JETS1580[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] 4th and 2 at the Pats 37 yard line in the third quarter with about 8 minutes left. Why not go for that? [/b][/quote]

What about after the Jets scored the touchdown?

Why not go for 2?

As unlikely as it was, 3 TD&#39;s and 3, 2-point conversions wins the game.

Was Hermy playing again for the tie (1 TD + 1 PAT, 2-TD&#39;s and 2-2 point conversions)? :blink:

Even PennyBoyWonder was calling for a 2-pointer after that TD. [/b][/quote]
    the secret is out PATSFANTX..........

HERMAN EDWARDS is a MEDIOCRE coach at best. Im starting to get the feeling that Herman has no power with this team, because if he doesnt have BRADWAY or WOODY JOHNSON in his ear telling him to PUNT in that situation........He is a CLUELESS Head Coach. Go motivate the Minnesota Vikings, Herm. We need to be coached to win.

You hit the nail on the head Jets1580&#33; I told my son, that we were in 2 down territory when it was third down. I said run at them with Lamont. We would have had 2 chances to make the first down, and then I see the punter come out. What a horrible call by a horrible coach&#33; That was the turning point of the game&#33; That&#39;s the difference between a coach that takes his team to the Superbowl and a coach that is satisfied with having a GOOD season. Herm is the latter and should be dismissed for this reason&#33;

[quote][i]Originally posted by touchdownjets[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:06 PM
    [b] You hit the nail on the head Jets1580&#33; I told my son, that we were in 2 down territory when it was third down. I said run at them with Lamont. We would have had 2 chances to make the first down, and then I see the punter come out. What a horrible call by a horrible coach&#33; That was the turning point of the game&#33; That&#39;s the difference between a coach that takes his team to the Superbowl and a coach that is satisfied with having a GOOD season. Herm is the latter and should be dismissed for this reason&#33; [/b][/quote]
    HERM MUST GO
    not because we dont like him, not because he is african american.....
    he must go because he cannot coach in the NFL.....not yet atleast.

Sucks that his first head coaching job was with us. The training wheels are on and the NEW YORK JETS are the FREE Ride&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

talk about &#39;playing not to lose the game&#39;

with the way our offense was playing, i dont know WHAT herm was thinking... that we&#39;d be able to drive the field an additional 2 times after punting? you have the ball on the 37, 4th and 2- you GO for it. who knows.. maybe lamont takes the hand off and busts through the 8 guys in the box for a 37 yrd TD run? maybe sowell makes a 7 yrd catch and we&#39;re 1st and 10 at the 30.. instead, we give it back to an offense that our defense COULDNT STOP all game long. yeah, that&#39;s playing to win herm.. playing to win a top 20 draft pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by HitSomeone41[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:34 PM
    [b] Lets face it HERMAN EDWARDS is a GREAT Motivator.........But A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HEAD COACH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; For 4 years Ive given him the benefit of the doubt...I said "they hired Herman because he [b]CAN[/b] coach....his hiring wasnt one of those obligatoryAFFIRMATIVE ACTION "" decisions &#33;&#33;
    All things always come to the light.... Our Head Coach cannot coach. Our Offensive Coordinator is overrated and his schemes are outdated. Our QB never had a strong arm , Randy Moss actually made him look good.
    I bought my nephews NY JETS jerseys for X-mas.... no wonder they wanted Patriot ones. [/b][/quote]
    How do you know he CAN Coach?? What great thing did he do at Tampa
    that gave you that Idea??AFFIRMATIVE ACTION decisions ?? Johnny Cochran
    was putting big pressure On Tags at that time..And Chad had his BEST Year
    after Randy Moss left for the NFL..Other than that good luck with your Jet
    jerseys.. :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Dec 27 2004, 05:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Dec 27 2004, 05:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HitSomeone41[/i]@Dec 27 2004, 05:34 PM
    [b] Lets face it HERMAN EDWARDS is a GREAT Motivator.........But A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HEAD COACH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; For 4 years Ive given him the benefit of the doubt...I said "they hired Herman because he [b]CAN[/b] coach....his hiring wasnt one of those obligatoryAFFIRMATIVE ACTION "" decisions &#33;&#33;
    I bought my nephews NY JETS jerseys for X-mas.... no wonder they wanted Patriot ones. [/b][/quote]
    How do you know he CAN Coach?? What great thing did he do at Tampa
    that gave you that Idea??AFFIRMATIVE ACTION decisions ?? Johnny Cochran
    was putting big pressure On Tags at that time..And Chad had his BEST Year
    after Randy Moss left for the NFL..Other than that good luck with your Jet
    jerseys.. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    You are right Savage....we all knew he had no Head Coaching experience but everyone must get a chance somewhere.....Herm was handed the NY JETS as if we had a history of winning.
    Lets consider that the NY JETS have had more winning seasons with Edwards but that dont mean a thing, not in this day and age of the NFL.
    Just look at the NFC teams [under .500]...fighting for playoff spots.

Mind boggling.

I was yelling and cursing at the damn tv that herm didn&#39;t give it to jordan twice&#33;&#33;&#33; it pisses me off, with our line we could have easily gotten 2 yards on 2 downs&#33;&#33;

once again hackass trys to out-think the opponent, when in the process it screws us&#33;&#33;&#33;

i&#39;ve been cursing this play too. the simple truth is, edwards doesn&#39;t know what he&#39;s doing and is afraid to take chances b/c it exposes him to increased criticism from the media. he&#39;s afraid of making mistakes but it hurts the team b/c they become more predictable.

parcells was/is a gambler, he has confidence in his decisions and knows he&#39;ll lose a certain percentage of the time, but knows if he wins enough it outweighs the mistakes.

edwards plays scared, but preaches to his team to fight and all that jazz. when will everyone figure out he&#39;s a hypocrite who can&#39;t even hire someone to help him manage the clock.

Veteran
    I must say that was when i stoped watching and played some Halo 2 on my XBOX..

You cant win if your not playing to..

TomShane
    Fellas, we need the man to concentrate on the basics here. Asking him to think "outside the box" is a bit much when you realize that he is still scrambling to figure out what&#39;s going on inside the box, OK?