Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Need Computer Help

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My home PC a Compaq Presario which was bought in Jan 2000, is dead. It get powered up, but does not boot up. I have cable on-line access, but cable is ok. I bought a video card about two months ago, and all was ok until last week.
    I'm about as technologically capable as a chimpanzee. I called Compaq and thay cannot offer assistance on equipment this old.
    Should I --1. just buy a new computer-ouch-would hate buying one every few years,
    2. Upgrade--wouldnt even know what to ask for here.
    3. Bring it back to the store who sold me the video card. (they may rake me along)
    4. Other Options?

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know ANYTHING about computers, however my husband does so I relayed the question to him.

He wants to know if the drive light is flashing or if you can hear the drive spinning up?

It could also be a bad video card. Try taking it out and putting the old card back in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The power light comes on, but the drive light does not. Nor do I hear anything after turning it on. I thought it might be the new video card as well but it was working for 2 months.

Thanx for responding. :)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I've had the same problem... and I wish I coulld tell you what I did to make it work, but hell if I know. It just started working one day... then would stop working a month later, then start working again two weeks later, then stop working a month later. My advice would to buy a new one. But, before you do, do a little research and get the best bang for your buck. And always check the sales papers, since they have all those rebates, you can get a good computer for fairly cheap.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    sect112 -

If the video card worked for two months and then stopped I would doubt it was the video card. If it happened immiediately that would be one thing. If you have another computer/laptop or a friend/neighbor has one, you can swap out your monitor to see if it works on their machine.

Seeing you had to open your machine to install the video card, open it and check the cords attached to the harddrive. It is possible you knocked one loose when you inserted your video card. Trust me I talk from experience in this.

Did you install anything new besides the video card recently on your computer? If you did and we are talking within a day depedning on your CPU use, you can try using booting Last Known Good Configuration. When the machine starts start hitting your F-Keys F2 is set-up on some systems, but it could be F7, F8, F10 or F12. Try all if these do not work. This will open up a alternate boot screen. Try Last Known Good Configuration. The problem with this is if the problem happened but did not appear to after you have booted up several times it will not work. From here you can also attempt booting up in Safe Mode as this will only use the basic drivers to load (to include video drivers) the machine and will give you a chance to trouble shoot. You also should have an option to repair I believe. If you have the OS CD, you can try repairing it and see if that helps.

Seriously, if you are getting no lights I doubt it is any of this other then the power cord being loose above. When it attempts to boot up do you hear any beeps? It most likely would be a series of beeps which sound like one continuous beep when your not paying attention. If it does and you can decipher a pattern, goto a CPU that works and do a search for BIOS beeps and that might give you an idea of the problem. If there is nothing your HD is probably toast.

If you have the OS CD, you can try and put a new similar spec HD in start again.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm no pro, so take this for what it's worth.

If the drive light is not flashing, the problem is probably with your hard drive, not the video card. Pay extra attention to that drive light the next time you boot up.

Is this the way it acted before you installed the video card the last time?

It is absolutely NOT worthwhile to upgrade a computer that old. I'm guessing it's a Pentium III or less, with no more than 450 mhz clock speed. You're probably running Windows 98, too. If it's Windows ME, that's even worse (my wife's computer has that).

In short, if the drive light flashes, take a chance on an inexpensive video card. If not, it's time for a new computer. I hope you backed up the stuff you had on it!

Good luck.