Thread: From Drudge

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    URGENT: 'TARGET #1': al-Zarqawi reportedly arrested in Iraq
    Tue Jan 04 2005 09:49:47 ET

DUBAI, January 4 (Itar-Tass) - Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi, whom the US occupation authorities declared to be the "target number one" in Iraq, has been arrested in the city of Baakuba, the Emirate newspaper al-Bayane reported on Tuesday referring to Kurdish sources. Al-Zarqawi, leader of the terrorist group Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad, was recently appointed the director of the Al-Qaeda organisation in Iraq.

The newspaper's correspondent in Baghdad points out that a report on the seizure of the terrorist, on whom the US put a bounty of 10 million dollars, was also reported by Iraqi Kurdistan radio, which at one time had been the first to announce the arrest of Saddam Hussein.

There have been no official reports about the arrest of the terrorist. Al-Zarqawi, 38, a Jordanian, whose real name is Ahmad al-Khalayleh, aims to turn Iraq into a "new Afghanistan". According to Arab press data, Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad group has divided Iraq into several emirates. The group's independent subdivisions at a strength of 50 to 500 militants operate in the cities of Al-Falluja, Al-Qaim, Diala, and Samarra.

The personnel of the group is on the whole 1,500-strong and includes Iraqis and citizens of Arab and Islamic countries. There are demolition experts and missilemen among them.

The group has depots of weapons and explosives in various parts of the country. It intends to frustrate the upcoming parliamentary elections that are scheduled for the end of this month. Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad threatens to do away with Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi and members of the interim government.

Developing...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I am shocked at how fast this was moved to the political forum

The arrest of this murdering scumbag would be of interest to all I would think. :blink:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I would love nothing more than catching this ****, I will wait before celebrating it. Ive seen too many false reports.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    MSNBC is reporting that it reports of Zarqawi capture are "not true"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://www.newsday.com/media/cartoon/2005-01/15702237.jpg[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 4 2005, 10:41 AM
    [b] [img]http://www.newsday.com/media/cartoon/2005-01/15702237.jpg[/img] [/b][/quote]
    Funny how you are quick qith the comics bitonti...yet you were the first one to scream Zarqawi got away when the Americans went into Fallujah.....think there is any irony that Zarqawi is on the run and the kidnappings and beheadings have come to a halt???

I'm of the same mind as LGM but I will say this...the Kurds are pretty reliable and have always been in America's corner.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to apoligize to the mods for cursing in this forum, I honestly didn't realize I did it until I reread the thread. I got a Gutter mouth. I have edited my post.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will the next evil doer please stand up, please stand up.

The world is a safer place (for about five minutes.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Jan 4 2005, 10:47 AM
    [b] Funny how you are quick qith the comics bitonti...yet you were the first one to scream Zarqawi got away when the Americans went into Fallujah.....think there is any irony that Zarqawi is on the run and the kidnappings and beheadings have come to a halt???
    [/b][/quote]
    to clarify i didn't screwm when Zarqawi got away - i merely stated the obvious - that anyone left in fallujah to face the music was a meaningless pawn - the real criminals left weeks before the invasion - you talk about kidnappings and beheadings im still waitng for the suicide bombers to stop -

my problem is that this administration has no freakin clue how to make this Iraq situation better - they have no clue how to defeat a guerilla enemy... the only guy in the administration who does know how to defeat guerilla warfare is a lame duck - (colin powell)

there is the right way to do things and there is the wrong way - i just want this country to succeed and im not sure that current cast of characters knows where they are leading us and/or how we are going to get there...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Section, where have you been dude?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 4 2005, 02:20 PM
    [b] Hey Section, where have you been dude? [/b][/quote]
    Like I said I've been taking a hiatus from this section. The debate has been pretty weak and I have been busy with the holidays and such.

I was unable to make it to 16H last Sunday because at the last second my fiance realized it was snowing and needed to shop for warmer clothes. Left at 10:00AM and didnt get there till 4:15 :( I was pissed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drudge blew it again-and again and again and again---Hey he got more hits to his National Enquirer site for the right wing then he has in weeks--Good job MAtt!