Thread: Is Marbury the best PG in the League?

TomShane
    I say of course not. He may the msot physically gifted--speed, quickness, ggod shooter, gets around anybody--but he is nowhere near the best. Good PG's win. Bad PG's lose. The Knicks are .500 with one of the more talented line-ups in the Eastern Conference.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the knicks are 3 games over .500 with him

last year, where were they before he came along? werent they 10 under .500?

anyways

1-nash
    2-marbury
    3-kidd (when healthy)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Nash, J Kidd... hell, I'd even put D Wade in front of him. I'd put him with Bibby, Arenas, and Billups.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stormshadow19@Jan 4 2005, 07:36 PM
    Steve Nash, J Kidd... hell, I'd even put D Wade in front of him. I'd put him with Bibby, Arenas, and Billups.
    :blink: today's Kidd ahead of Marbury? sure, 2 or 3 years ago, but now??

and I dont think Dwayne Wade has established himself as a PG yet, he's a mix of PG and SG like Lebron for example

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch Trevor Ariza. First teenager to ever play in NYC. 19 years old and the kid can jump through the roof.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As of right now

Nash
    Wade

are the top 2, even though Wade is not a real PG.

Francis
    Kidd
    Davis
    Billups
    Bibby

Are about on the same level as Marbury.

So as a Knick fan, no.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Icer@Jan 5 2005, 02:13 PM
    Francis
    Kidd
    Davis
    Billups

Bibby

francis is listed a SG

and Marbury is much better than Chauncy Billups and Ricky Davis

Ricky Davis is 35 year old Gary Paytons backup, that doesnt say too much

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    id say NAsh

hes a good scorer and always leads the league in asists!!!!!!!!&#33 ;!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackout806+Jan 5 2005, 02:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blackout806 @ Jan 5 2005, 02:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Icer@Jan 5 2005, 02:13 PM
    Francis
    Kidd
    Davis
    Billups

Bibby

francis is listed a SG

Ricky Davis is 35 year old Gary Paytons backup, that doesnt say too much [/b][/quote]
    Francis basically plays the point with the Majic. I don&#39;t care where he is listed at, that&#39;s his position on the floor. And I would take Steph over him.

Best PG in the NBA right now is Nash, hands down. He does what a true PG needs to do; get everyone involved, and hit a jumper now and then to keep defenses honest. He also can penetrate, although not like Steph, Wade, Francis, or Iverson. Nash makes his team better, the true measure of a PG.

Wade is right behind Nash. I know Shaq is the big diesel, but the emergence of Wade this season is really what will carry teh Heat deep into the playoffs.

Kidd is not the same anymore. too inconsistent, and playing on bad wheels. He may never regain the explosiveness he had until last season. Will always be able to pass the ball, and see the court better then anyone else. And, with guys like Jefferson and Carter, he will get his share of asists. But he isn&#39;t the dominate player he once was.

Bottom line: Wade is #2 behind Nash. Steph is in the next group, along with a slipping Kidd, and guys like Iverson, Payton, etc. The difference is that Steph is still moving up, while the others are, for the most part, slipping downward.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackout806+Jan 5 2005, 03:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blackout806 @ Jan 5 2005, 03:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Icer@Jan 5 2005, 02:13 PM
    Francis
    Kidd
    Davis
    Billups

Bibby

francis is listed a SG

Ricky Davis is 35 year old Gary Paytons backup, that doesnt say too much [/b][/quote]
    Umm, no. Steve Francis is a PG. It doesnt matter what they have him listed at.

And Ricky? No no son, Baron Davis. Although oft-injured when healthy he is better than Marbury.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably the biggest load of crapola that Marbury have ever spouted out. The role of the PG is to get your team to win. Any improvement in Minnesota had more to do with the growth of Garnett not Starbury. He went to a porr Nets team and they got worse. With Kidd they went from 26 to 52 wins, while in Phoenix he went from 51 to 36 wins. Since leaving Phoenix and bringing in Steve Nash the team has totally turned things around. The Knicks were 14-19 without him and 25-24 with him. Thats not the turnaround anyone else has made with a "best" anything in the NBA. Is Marbury better than Kidd right now? Yeah and Kidd may never be great again, but Id still take my chances with a winner than Marbury. There are at least 5 or 6 guys better than him. He is a selfish player with inflated assist stats. When a guy like Kidd or Nash gets 10 assists they get those 10, plus numerous free throw attempts, and secondary passes. If you added up the amount of shots they contribute to they would probably be between 18-25 assists a game. Marbury? He would still be at 10.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Jason423@Jan 6 2005, 05:54 PM
    This is probably the biggest load of crapola that Marbury have ever spouted out. The role of the PG is to get your team to win. Any improvement in Minnesota had more to do with the growth of Garnett not Starbury. He went to a porr Nets team and they got worse. With Kidd they went from 26 to 52 wins, while in Phoenix he went from 51 to 36 wins. Since leaving Phoenix and bringing in Steve Nash the team has totally turned things around. The Knicks were 14-19 without him and 25-24 with him. Thats not the turnaround anyone else has made with a "best" anything in the NBA. Is Marbury better than Kidd right now? Yeah and Kidd may never be great again, but Id still take my chances with a winner than Marbury. There are at least 5 or 6 guys better than him. He is a selfish player with inflated assist stats. When a guy like Kidd or Nash gets 10 assists they get those 10, plus numerous free throw attempts, and secondary passes. If you added up the amount of shots they contribute to they would probably be between 18-25 assists a game. Marbury? He would still be at 10.
    Good post. I like Marbury, and I remember ripping the Nets for trading him for Kidd (idiot that I am), but Marbury is way too stat-conscious for me. As Jason pointed out, Marbury doesn&#39;t pass it unless he knows it&#39;s going to give him an assist. Plus, defensively, Marbury is one of the laziest defenders I have ever seen. With his quickness, strength and athleticism, opposing PG&#39;s should be going through hell when they play Marbury, instead, they all too often turn their offense into a lay-up line as Marbury hangs back.

Besides, the "best PG in the league" and a high lottery pick that gets traded as much as Marbury really has to question why he gets the boot so often. As Peter Vescey likes to point out, as soon as a team trades Marbury, that team automatically gets infinitely better: Minnesota, Phoenix, the Nets all blew up after Marbury was gone. Strange. IMO, he needs to grow up and learn how to win.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 6 2005, 10:42 PM
    Strange. IMO, he needs to grow up and learn how to win.
    Very true. He has it all physically, but he does not make his team better.