Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: US Army Reserve

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Army reserve driven to 'breaking point'
    By Reuters

The US army reserve, tapped heavily to provide soldiers for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, is “degenerating into a ‘broken' force” because of dysfunctional military policies, the army reserve's chief said in a memo made public on Wednesday, Reuters reports from Washington.

“I do not wish to sound alarmist. I do wish to send a clear, distinctive signal of deepening concern,” Lieutenant General James Helmly said in a December 20 memo to General Peter Schoomaker, the army chief of staff.

The army reserve is a force of 200,000 part-timesoldiers who opted not to sign up for the active-duty army but can be mobilised from their civilian lives in times of national need. About 52,000 army reserve soldiers are on active duty, with 17,000 in Iraq and 2,000 in Afghanistan, the army said.

The army reserve has provided many military police, civil affairs soldiers, medics and truck drivers for the wars. “While ability to meet the current demands associated with OIF [Operational Iraqi Freedom] and OEF [Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan] is of great importance, the army reserve is additionally in grave danger of being unable to meet other operational requirements including those in named OPLANS [operational plans] and CONUS [continental US] emergencies, and is rapidly degenerating into a ‘broken' force,” Lt Gen Helmly wrote.

Lt Gen Helmly said military leaders had rebuffed his proposals for change. The memo's purpose was to inform Gen Schoomaker of the army reserve's “inability under current policies, procedures and practices governing mobilisation, training and reserve component manpower management to meet mission requirements” for the two wars, Lt Gen Helmly wrote.

In his memo, first disclosed by the Baltimore Sun, Lt Gen Helmly titled one section “US Army Reserve Readiness Discussion, Past Dysfunctional Practices/Policies”. The Pentagon, maintaining higher-than-expected troop levels after failing to anticipate that a bloody guerrilla war would follow the downfall of President Saddam Hussein in 2003, has relied heavily on army reserve and army national guard soldiers. These part-time troops comprise about 40 per cent of the US force in Iraq.[/b][/quote]

by the way i got this off of the FInancial Times website FT.com

flushingjet
    big deal, it's the usual al-Reuters anti-American crap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]The army reserve has provided many military police, civil affairs soldiers, medics and truck drivers for the wars. “While ability to meet the current demands associated with OIF [Operational Iraqi Freedom] and OEF [Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan] is of great importance, the army reserve is additionally in grave danger of being unable to meet other operational requirements including those in named OPLANS [operational plans] and CONUS [continental US] emergencies, and is rapidly degenerating into a ‘broken' force,” Lt Gen Helmly wrote.

[/b][/quote]

Explain this please? I'm missing the implication that leads the reserves to a "broken force."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by flushingjet[/i]@Jan 5 2005, 11:18 PM
    [b] big deal, it's the usual al-Reuters anti-American crap. [/b][/quote]
    Actually it seems like somebody actually in the Army Reserve is very worried. Just what does it take for incorrigible Republicans to believe that Bush's policies are having a poor effect? This is reality.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money[/i]@Jan 6 2005, 01:53 AM
    [b] [quote][b]The army reserve has provided many military police, civil affairs soldiers, medics and truck drivers for the wars. “While ability to meet the current demands associated with OIF [Operational Iraqi Freedom] and OEF [Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan] is of great importance, the army reserve is additionally in grave danger of being unable to meet other operational requirements including those in named OPLANS [operational plans] and CONUS [continental US] emergencies, and is rapidly degenerating into a ‘broken' force,” Lt Gen Helmly wrote.

[/b][/quote]

Explain this please? I'm missing the implication that leads the reserves to a "broken force." [/b][/quote]
    i think it's the part about “inability...to meet mission requirements”

i.e., not working=broken.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by curtisthegreat+Jan 6 2005, 05:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (curtisthegreat @ Jan 6 2005, 05:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-flushingjet[/i]@Jan 5 2005, 11:18 PM
    [b] big deal, it&#39;s the usual al-Reuters anti-American crap. [/b][/quote]
    Actually it seems like somebody actually in the Army Reserve is very worried. Just what does it take for incorrigible Republicans to believe that Bush&#39;s policies are having a poor effect? This is reality. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe we should pull out our troops and just nuke the entire arab region. The rest of the world won&#39;t miss them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67+Jan 7 2005, 10:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetman67 @ Jan 7 2005, 10:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by curtisthegreat@Jan 6 2005, 05:26 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-flushingjet[/i]@Jan 5 2005, 11:18 PM
    Actually it seems like somebody actually in the Army Reserve is very worried. Just what does it take for incorrigible Republicans to believe that Bush&#39;s policies are having a poor effect? This is reality. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe we should pull out our troops and just nuke the entire arab region. The rest of the world won&#39;t miss them. [/b][/quote]
    Another compassionate conservative I see. Tell me, are you one of those people who voted for Bush because of his Christian "moral values"? I&#39;m quite sure murdering people for the hell of it is not something that would be considered Christian.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an idea ... institute the draft so we can replace the troops in the Middle East with some of you young whipper snappers who never stop *****ing about America

That oughta snap you mofos to attention :P

Hey Bit, they&#39;re sending your @&#036;&#036; to Iraq :lol:

LMAO&#33;&#33;

Oh man, you have no idea how hard I&#39;m laughing as I write this ... cause I know you youngbloods are scared &#036;hitless of the draft :unsure:

You think these kids are *****ing now, just wait till they get that letter from Uncle Sam that starts with ... GREETINGS :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunatly, the time to nuke an enemy area has probably passed. The time to do this without recourse from the international comunity was probably right after 9-11. I thought it would have been a good idea to drop some nuclear type weapons or use it as a threat to send a message. These people who we are fighting know our weakness. Our weakness is the over compasionate liberal who doesn&#39;t believe in war under just about any circumsances.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Jan 8 2005, 11:41 AM
    [b] I have an idea ... institute the draft so we can replace the troops in the Middle East with some of you young whipper snappers who never stop *****ing about America

LMAO&#33;&#33;

Oh man, you have no idea how hard I&#39;m laughing as I write this ... cause I know you youngbloods are scared &#036;hitless of the draft :unsure:

You think these kids are *****ing now, just wait till they get that letter from Uncle Sam that starts with ... GREETINGS :lol: [/b][/quote]
    We&#39;re not "*****ing" about America, we&#39;re *****ing about Bush. There is a difference, whether you&#39;d like to admit or not. We have absolute disgust for Bush&#39;s policies, not America, and you know that damn well, and if you don&#39;t than I don&#39;t know what to say. You know what would be even funnier? College Republicans enlisting. I&#39;m having a hoot just thinking of the possibility. That&#39;s all it is, a possibility, it&#39;ll never happen though. Anyone who supports the war and is of age should enlist now. I would gladly fight for my country when I think it is right, and this president is not right and this war is not right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by rsherryjr[/i]@Jan 8 2005, 12:24 PM
    [b] Unfortunatly, the time to nuke an enemy area has probably passed. The time to do this without recourse from the international comunity was probably right after 9-11. I thought it would have been a good idea to drop some nuclear type weapons or use it as a threat to send a message. These people who we are fighting know our weakness. Our weakness is the over compasionate liberal who doesn&#39;t believe in war under just about any circumsances. [/b][/quote]
    I recognize that war is necessary, and there is a big difference between being a liberal and being a pacifist. We are opposed to this is war b/c it is an unnecessary war of choice. We supported the war in Afghanistan, as the whole country and the international community did. One of the nation&#39;s most liberal presidents FDR, won World War II. So it&#39;s not that we are anti-war. We are anti this-war.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by curtisthegreat+Jan 8 2005, 04:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (curtisthegreat @ Jan 8 2005, 04:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Jan 8 2005, 11:41 AM
    [b] I have an idea ... institute the draft so we can replace the troops in the Middle East with some of you young whipper snappers who never stop *****ing about America

LMAO&#33;&#33;

You think these kids are *****ing now, just wait till they get that letter from Uncle Sam that starts with ... GREETINGS :lol: [/b][/quote]
    We&#39;re not "*****ing" about America, we&#39;re *****ing about Bush. There is a difference, whether you&#39;d like to admit or not. We have absolute disgust for Bush&#39;s policies, not America, and you know that damn well, and if you don&#39;t than I don&#39;t know what to say. You know what would be even funnier? College Republicans enlisting. I&#39;m having a hoot just thinking of the possibility. That&#39;s all it is, a possibility, it&#39;ll never happen though. Anyone who supports the war and is of age should enlist now. I would gladly fight for my country when I think it is right, and this president is not right and this war is not right. [/b][/quote]
    Bro, get a sense of humor ... isn&#39;t it obvious I was joking ... did the 5,000 smiley faces not give it away? :huh:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ham let me just say i would fight and die for my country in a snap... IF it actually needed me... if there was a real HITLER out there and my country needed me to SURVIVE i wouldn&#39;t need a draft i would join up...

this isn&#39;t a war - it&#39;s an executive police action. We haven&#39;t had a real war that was justified in fighting since 1945.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 8 2005, 06:29 PM
    [b] Ham let me just say i would fight and die for my country in a snap... IF it actually needed me... if there was a real HITLER out there and my country needed me to SURVIVE i wouldn&#39;t need a draft i would join up...

this isn&#39;t a war - it&#39;s an executive police action. We haven&#39;t had a real war that was justified in fighting since 1945. [/b][/quote]
    Bit, I know you would fight ... I was just joking ... I thought that would be obvious to you guys, but maybe a screwed up

No offense, fellas ... I really meant it as a joke

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    B) i didn&#39;t take it personal... just wanted to clear up the issue -

last week someone accused me of pissing on the victims of 9-11... and jews&#33;

:blink: :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who supports this war is just ideologically constipated with total disregard for our military. These are not characters in a video game. By the way, notice how the war monges are led by notorious chicken hawks like Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolofowitz---guys who would know a battle field from a ball room. By the way, here are some quotes from the architect of our Iraq policy---Paul Wolofowitz--the man is insane.

The Washington Monthly: VINTAGE WOLFOWITZ....In celebration of Paul Wolfowitz&#39;s decision to stay at the Pentagon, I&#39;d like to take this chance to reprint my favorite Wolfowitz testimony of all time. This is from the New York Times account of Wolfowitz&#39;s testimony before Congress on February 28, 2003, a mere three weeks before the invasion of Iraq:

Mr. Wolfowitz...opened a two-front war of words on Capitol Hill, calling the recent estimate by Gen. Eric K. Shinseki of the Army that several hundred thousand troops would be needed in postwar Iraq, "wildly off the mark." Pentagon officials have put the figure closer to 100,000 troops.

....In his testimony, Mr. Wolfowitz ticked off several reasons why he believed a much smaller coalition peacekeeping force than General Shinseki envisioned would be sufficient to police and rebuild postwar Iraq. He said there was no history of ethnic strife in Iraq, as there was in Bosnia or Kosovo.

He said Iraqi civilians would welcome an American-led liberation force that "stayed as long as necessary but left as soon as possible," but would oppose a long-term occupation force. And he said that nations that oppose war with Iraq would likely sign up to help rebuild it. "I would expect that even countries like France will have a strong interest in assisting Iraq in reconstruction," Mr. Wolfowitz said. He added that many Iraqi expatriates would likely return home to help.

....Enlisting countries to help to pay for this war and its aftermath would take more time, he said. "I expect we will get a lot of mitigation, but it will be easier after the fact than before the fact," Mr. Wolfowitz said. Mr. Wolfowitz spent much of the hearing knocking down published estimates of the costs of war and rebuilding, saying the upper range of &#036;95 billion was too high....Moreover, he said such estimates, and speculation that postwar reconstruction costs could climb even higher, ignored the fact that Iraq is a wealthy country, with annual oil exports worth &#036;15 billion to &#036;20 billion. "To assume we&#39;re going to pay for it all is just wrong," he said.

You just can&#39;t make this stuff up.
    "I wish to propose for the reader&#39;s favourable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true."
    - Betrand Russell, opening sentence of Sceptical Essays

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by curtisthegreat+Jan 8 2005, 12:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (curtisthegreat @ Jan 8 2005, 12:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by jetman67@Jan 7 2005, 10:20 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by curtisthegreat@Jan 6 2005, 05:26 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-flushingjet[/i]@Jan 5 2005, 11:18 PM
    Maybe we should pull out our troops and just nuke the entire arab region. The rest of the world won&#39;t miss them. [/b][/quote]
    Another compassionate conservative I see. Tell me, are you one of those people who voted for Bush because of his Christian "moral values"? I&#39;m quite sure murdering people for the hell of it is not something that would be considered Christian. [/b][/quote]
    Lighten Up, theyre only ragheads. Do you really think the world community would miss the arabs?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    idk, not me atleast&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;