Thread: John Kerry Meets W/Syrian Pres. (American Enemy)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Former Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry met Saturday with Syria's president and said he was hopeful that strained U.S.-Syrian relations could be improved, provided Washington seized "a moment of opportunity" currently available in the Middle East.

The United States has accused Syria of doing too little to stop insurgents from infiltrating into Iraq to attack coalition forces. Washington also has imposed sanctions on Damascus, accusing it of seeking weapons of mass destruction and hosting Palestinian groups Washington deems to be terrorist organizations.

Syria denies the accusations but says it cannot fully control its long, porous border with Iraq.

Sen. Kerry, D-Mass., met for two hours with President Bashar Assad and then with Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa, with both meetings centering on Iraq and how to prevent militants from moving from Syria into neighboring Iraq.

"I think we found a great deal of areas of mutual interest, some common concerns and some possibilities for initiatives that could be taken in the future to strengthening the relationship between the U.S. and Syria," Kerry told reporters after meeting with al-Sharaa.

"I leave here with a sense that we can improve our relationship. There are significant possibilities, particularly with the elections in Iraq and the elections in the West Bank ... This is the moment of opportunity for the Middle East, for the U.S. and for the world. I hope that we would seize that opportunity."

Assad stressed "the importance of dialogue between the two sides over all issues under discussion, especially those of common interest," Syria's official news agency reported.

Kerry said he and Assad discussed Iraq, security, Lebanon and weapons of mass destruction.

In September, the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution calling on Syria to withdraw its troops from Lebanon and dismantle the Syrian-backed Lebanese Hezbollah guerrilla group. Syria, with some 14,000 troops stationed in Lebanon, is the main power broker in that country.

More recently, President Bush has warned Syria and Iran against "meddling" in the internal affairs of Iraq. Washington and Baghdad both have said that key support for the insurgency in Iraq was coming from a half brother of Saddam Hussein and Baath Party leaders based in Syria.

Kerry, who is on a two-week tour of the Middle East, arrived Friday from Iraq, where he met U.S. troops in the volatile northern city of Mosul, the scene of a suicide bombing last month on a military base that killed 22 people, including 14 U.S. soldiers and three American contractors.

Kerry, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, will be in the West Bank for Sunday's Palestinian election and is expected to visit a polling place.

[b]After Kerry left the Foreign Ministry on Saturday, 13-year-old Mustafa al-Nabulsi approached him with a drawing of the senator as a soldier in his Vietnam days.

"You have made me much more important than I was, though. You made me a general," Kerry said.

"I wish you were the president," al-Nabulsi said.

"Thank you very much. So do I," Kerry said. [/b]

More terrorists for kerry

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry is an idiot!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    to say the least.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job by Kerry--opening up dialogue when it is in our interest to do so. Bravo!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    WTF was he thinking? The only way to deal with these people is to add them to the axis of evil and say they hate freedom and our way of life. It wouldn't hurt to say they have WMDs too. Ohh and don't forget to come up with some tie to the French. That will show them.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://pro.lookingat.us/KerryBook.jpg[/img]

flushingjet
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 09:16 AM
    [b] WTF was he thinking? The only way to deal with these people is to add them to the axis of evil and say they hate freedom and our way of life. It wouldn't hurt to say they have WMDs too. Ohh and don't forget to come up with some tie to the French. That will show them. [/b][/quote]
    actually, Syria has been on the list of State Dept Sponsors of Terror, they do hate freedom and our way of life, have WMDs, and were a French colony post WW-1.
    what else do you need to know, sectsless?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by flushingjet+Jan 10 2005, 06:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (flushingjet @ Jan 10 2005, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 09:16 AM
    [b] WTF was he thinking? The only way to deal with these people is to add them to the axis of evil and say they hate freedom and our way of life. It wouldn&#39;t hurt to say they have WMDs too. Ohh and don&#39;t forget to come up with some tie to the French. That will show them. [/b][/quote]
    actually, Syria has been on the list of State Dept Sponsors of Terror, they do hate freedom and our way of life, have WMDs, and were a French colony post WW-1.
    what else do you need to know, sectsless? [/b][/quote]
    I think Syria was the chair of the UN&#39;s Human Rights Abuse committee last year or some BS committee in that BS organization.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by flushingjet+Jan 10 2005, 05:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (flushingjet @ Jan 10 2005, 05:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 09:16 AM
    [b] WTF was he thinking? The only way to deal with these people is to add them to the axis of evil and say they hate freedom and our way of life. It wouldn&#39;t hurt to say they have WMDs too. Ohh and don&#39;t forget to come up with some tie to the French. That will show them. [/b][/quote]
    Why didn&#39;t we invade them--certainly they had a stronger tie to terrorism then did Sadaam Hussein?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by rextilleon+Jan 11 2005, 09:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (rextilleon @ Jan 11 2005, 09:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by flushingjet@Jan 10 2005, 05:28 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 09:16 AM
    Why didn&#39;t we invade them--certainly they had a stronger tie to terrorism then did Sadaam Hussein? [/b][/quote]
    They do??? You have proof of this?? I didn&#39;t see Assad or anyone in Syria publicly paying or announing to give bounty&#39;s to the families of "homicide bombers" as Hussien perpetually did.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    isn&#39;t it great how getting rid of Saddam Hussain eliminated terrorism? man that George Bush is a smart guy...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 11:03 AM
    [b] isn&#39;t it great how getting rid of Saddam Hussain eliminated terrorism? man that George Bush is a smart guy... [/b][/quote]
    Without getting to insulting...that is the exact type of comment that will always give terrorists hope...rather then focusing on the umpteen thousands of terrorists who&#39;ve been caught or killed, let&#39;s always look on the dark side of things.....as I pointed out previously, you were hootin and hollering that Al Zaqwiri (spell?) got away when American troops took Falljuah yet isn&#39;t it a little more than ironic that the kidnappings and beheadings have stopped??

Let&#39;s take that one step further to show how biasedly dumb your comment is...isn&#39;t it more then a little ironic that since GWB took the fight to the militant sczulims, unlike the previous guy who sat in the WH and did nothing, there have been no attacks against America the likes of the USS Cole, the African Embassies or any kind of that nature???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 11:39 AM
    [b] Let&#39;s take that one step further to show how biasedly dumb your comment is...isn&#39;t it more then a little ironic that since GWB took the fight to the militant sczulims, unlike the previous guy who sat in the WH and did nothing, there have been no attacks against America the likes of the USS Cole, the African Embassies or any kind of that nature??? [/b][/quote]
    it&#39;s not ironic at all - we are using our infantry as a long-range human shield - to the tune of 1300 deaths and counting...

meanwhile people have to realize that there aren&#39;t X number of terrorists and if we kill all of them then terrorism is over - every day new terrorists are created out of thin air - these are people who are reacting to something...

but whatever i can sit here all day and tell people the way it really is but there&#39;s no point --

[b]who wants that we can live in a dream land where everything is getting better by magic - the president says it&#39;s getting better so it must be so&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b]

see you in 10 years when Iraq is still a s**t hole and US Infantry are still dying for no reason.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]meanwhile people have to realize that there aren&#39;t X number of terrorists and if we kill all of them then terrorism is over - every day new terrorists are created out of thin air - these are people who are reacting to something... [/b][/quote]

all that does is prove the futility of this statement.

[quote][b]isn&#39;t it great how getting rid of Saddam Hussain eliminated terrorism? man that George Bush is a smart guy... [/b][/quote]

so I guess we should sit on our asses like bubba did??

[quote][b]but whatever i can sit here all day and tell people the way it really is but there&#39;s no point -- who wants that when they would rather live in a dream land where we can pretend everything is getting better by magic - the president says it&#39;s getting better so it must be so&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]

Or you can do what you do so well, tell people the way you want to see things, which is the dark side as it is the only way to get GWB and the Republicans out of power.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by rextilleon[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 12:38 AM
    [b] Great job by Kerry--opening up dialogue when it is in our interest to do so. Bravo&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I agree, great job by Kerry. Hopefully he&#39;ll meet with the North Koreans next, then Bin Laden and get plenty of photo ops....

The Republican Party must be salivating over the Kerry Presidential run for 2008 :lol: :lol:

[img]http://www.frogsdone.com/flipflop.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 12:22 PM
    [b] Or you can do what you do so well, tell people the way you want to see things, which is the dark side as it is the only way to get GWB and the Republicans out of power. [/b][/quote]
    frankly i don&#39;t care if Bush or Gingrich or whoever is in charge as long as they do a good job while they are in there.

the way i want to see things is no more sacrifice of American servicemen... maybe a coherant EXIT STRATEGY for this ENDLESS war - why is that so much to ask?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 11:22 AM
    [b] [quote][b]meanwhile people have to realize that there aren&#39;t X number of terrorists and if we kill all of them then terrorism is over - every day new terrorists are created out of thin air - these are people who are reacting to something... [/b][/quote]

[quote][b]isn&#39;t it great how getting rid of Saddam Hussain eliminated terrorism? man that George Bush is a smart guy... [/b][/quote]

[quote][b]but whatever i can sit here all day and tell people the way it really is but there&#39;s no point -- who wants that when they would rather live in a dream land where we can pretend everything is getting better by magic - the president says it&#39;s getting better so it must be so&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]

Or you can do what you do so well, tell people the way you want to see things, which is the dark side as it is the only way to get GWB and the Republicans out of power. [/b][/quote]
    Clinton did not sit on his ass. When he did do something, the Republicans claimed it was a "wag the dog" type thing. Take for example, this conservative site:

[url=http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a530320.htm]http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a530320.htm[/url]

This brash act by a brash child-man is a direct threat to the security of every citizen inside our own borders for the people against whom he acted are non-forgiving and have no fear of death.
    And, make no mistake, they are here&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

By the time the helicopter gets back to D.C. we may well be witness to a reprise of 1814.

You really gotta love it though. I mean they were right, it&#39;s not like there was anything worth bombing in Afghanistan anyway.... :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by New England Hick+Jan 11 2005, 11:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (New England Hick @ Jan 11 2005, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rextilleon[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 12:38 AM
    [b] Great job by Kerry--opening up dialogue when it is in our interest to do so. Bravo&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I agree, great job by Kerry. Hopefully he&#39;ll meet with the North Koreans next, then Bin Laden and get plenty of photo ops....

The Republican Party must be salivating over the Kerry Presidential run for 2008 :lol: :lol:

[img]http://www.frogsdone.com/flipflop.jpg[/img] [/b][/quote]
    You must have missed the article I posted here where a recently-released hostage said his captor&#39;s wanted Bush to win. But hell, reality&#39;s never gotten in your way before.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by curtisthegreat+Jan 11 2005, 10:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (curtisthegreat @ Jan 11 2005, 10:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 11:22 AM
    [b] [quote][b]meanwhile people have to realize that there aren&#39;t X number of terrorists and if we kill all of them then terrorism is over - every day new terrorists are created out of thin air - these are people who are reacting to something... [/b][/quote]

Or you can do what you do so well, tell people the way you want to see things, which is the dark side as it is the only way to get GWB and the Republicans out of power. [/b][/quote]
    Clinton did not sit on his ass. [/b][/quote]
    You mean blowjob bill was standing up when monika blew him??

BTW: Nice try on the Freeper link- that look like some homemade pathetic Err America/Randi Rodent try to make Freep look bad...the same Freep that brought CBS News and Dan Rather down&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: Right Chiefs (wherever you&#39;ve been).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Jan 11 2005, 09:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Jan 11 2005, 09:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by rextilleon@Jan 11 2005, 09:17 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by flushingjet@Jan 10 2005, 05:28 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 09:16 AM
    Why didn&#39;t we invade them--certainly they had a stronger tie to terrorism then did Sadaam Hussein? [/b][/quote]
    They do??? You have proof of this?? I didn&#39;t see Assad or anyone in Syria publicly paying or announing to give bounty&#39;s to the families of "homicide bombers" as Hussien perpetually did. [/b][/quote]
    Moron---Hamas and Hezbollah are headquartered in Damascus. Syria illegally occupies Lebanon, epi-center of attacks against civilians in northern Israel. You are so dumb.