Thread: That sound is.....

Looks like the ball is in Bettman's court.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1967807

ESPN.com news services
    NHL players have been told not to expect the league to resume play this season, and possibly next season, according to a report in the Ottawa Sun.

Sources told the paper Friday that NHL Players' Association executive director Bob Goodenow told players they not only should accept any current job offers in Europe immediately, they should take offers for next season, as well. The message was delivered via an audio recording posted on the union's private Web site, which only members can access.

"I don't think we'll be playing," Eric Lindros told the Sun. "There's no communication ... I don't think we'll be playing this season at all.

"The bottom line for both sides is nobody should be worrying about public perception right now or who is right and who is wrong in all of this," he continued. "They should be putting their energy into trying to get a deal done. It's not going to matter who is winning the battle for public opinion if we don't get a deal done."

A source told the Sun that the NHL will make an offer next week, but no one is optimistic.

"I just don't think there's much reason for optimism with nothing happening right now," Lindros told the paper. "We offered them the 24 percent (salary) rollback and I thought that was a very good offer. They didn't want it. We know that hockey is going to be back. But I can't tell you when and in what form."

Kay Whitmore, a former NHL goalie, said players were galvanized by the league's rejection of the salary cut, but he wondered if the union can withstand a two-year work stoppage.

"The only way someone is going to win is if both sides find a compromise, sit down right now and get a deal done," Whitmore told the Sun. "If that happens, then maybe both sides would truly be happy with what's happened. But the players' chances of winning don't improve the longer this goes. The deadline for the players to get their best deal is right now. I'm sure if this year is lost, it will be a bit of a shock."

Kirk Muller, a 19-year NHL veteran, said the sides won't be able to reach an agreement until they can trust each other.

"I'd be very surprised if there is any hockey this year," he said

Hall Of Fame
    There honestly may not be a NHL when all is said and done. This is amazing

All Pro
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jan 16 2005, 07:38 PM
    There honestly may not be a NHL when all is said and done. This is amazing
    What's even better is that guys like Steve Yzerman and Mark Messier are going to have to end their careers because of a friggin lockout instead of getting the chance to say goodbye on the ice.

The NHL sinks deeper and deeper into oblivion...

Veteran
    Well, here's a last ditch effort. Way for Bettman and Goodnenow to not even show up for this meeting. I think they've both have washed their hands of saving this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JetFan-68@Jan 18 2005, 06:32 PM
    Well, here's a last ditch effort. Way for Bettman and Goodnenow to not even show up for this meeting. I think they've both have washed their hands of saving this season.
    They met for 5 hrs today and are meeting again.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. This season is over

Veteran
    For me, the season's been over since June 7th at approximately 10:35PM when Dave Andreychuk lifted Lord Stanley's chalice. At this rate, the approximate start of the next NHL season: October 17th... 2049.

These clowns are now talking about a freakin' 24 game season :wacko:

Veteran
    Those who wait until the eleventh hour, usually die at 10:59. More than half the games have been lost and neither side has stepped up and made any real effort to save this season.

Therefore, it's a loss. Don't bother buying any NHL tickets this season. Time to check out some real hockey, friends; support your local minor league, high school, and college teams.

Originally posted by Riggins44@Jan 24 2005, 09:46 PM
    These clowns are now talking about a freakin' 24 game season :wacko:
    They would be better off with some sort of round robbin playoff tournement, where all the teams start in the playoffs, and the last one standing is the Stanley Cup champ.

A season less than 44 games, IMO, is worthless.