Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: I dont want a strike shortened season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    NHL & NHLPA-let 2004/2005 go. Get your house in order. Come back in the fall with a solid CBA which institutes a salary cap, revenue sharing, and addresses over-expansion, major US TV contracts or there lackof, and rule changes targeting the reduction of middle ice play and trap hockey and a more meaningful season-less playoff teams.

Come back in the fall on solid footing and watch the fans slowly come back. Come back now with a band-aid of a CBA and insult us with a 35 game schedule followed by meaningless playoffs lasting til August and this particular fan will not be back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NHL labor talks stretch into second day

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer
    January 20, 2005

AP - Jan 19, 5:54 pm EST
    More Photos

A twist in the NHL labor talks seems to have worked -- at least for one day.

With commissioner Gary Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow out of the picture Wednesday, a group of six men got down to talking. After several hours in a lounge at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, they decided that discussions should continue.

The bid to jump-start NHL labor negotiations has done just that, spawning a second round of talks in an effort to save the hockey season. Union president Trevor Linden and NHL board of directors chairman Harley Hotchkiss spoke Wednesday and the sides agreed to meet again Thursday, this time in Toronto.

``We engaged in good dialogue,'' Linden said.

The session lasted about five hours, including several breaks so each three-man negotiating group could huddle. It was just the third time the league and players' association have had face-to-face talks since the lockout was imposed Sept. 15.

Bettman being out of the picture is probably the best thing that could happen. I love hockey but I have to agree a 30 or so game season and playoffs would be a mockery of a season. Hard decisions have to be made and I still do not think that we are going to see any settlement in the near future without major concessions on both sides.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    NOTHING but more frustration will come out of these meetings.

As noble as they are, they are going nowhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This season should be declared dead, no matter what agreements are reached. Unless they concoct a way to play 44 or more games, there should not be a NHL season for 2004/2005.

Don't insult our intelligence with a 24 or 30 game season, then have 16 playoff teams.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Jan 25 2005, 07:59 AM
    This season should be declared dead, no matter what agreements are reached. Unless they concoct a way to play 44 or more games, there should not be a NHL season for 2004/2005.

Don't insult our intelligence with a 24 or 30 game season, then have 16 playoff teams.
    I agree MBN
    I still do not think anything is going to come out the these meetings with the next scheduled one on Wednesday. At least somebody representing both sides are actually talking with one another instead of letting month go by without trying to meet.
    A 32 game schedule is the latest I read with like 9 day training camp so the "so called season" would have to start about Feb. 14th. Are they going to give a discount on ticket prices for the true hockey fans?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Jan 25 2005, 07:59 AM

Exactly.