Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: New Nets CEO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    New CEO wants Nets to be NBA's star

Published in the Asbury Park Press 1/20/05
    By BOB CONSIDINE
    STAFF WRITER
    EAST RUTHERFORD -- In Brett Yormark's mind, the New Jersey Nets can become one of the NBA's biggest money-makers -- even if the organization is moving to Brooklyn before the end of the decade.

And while some may think he's dreaming, Yormark has the resume to back it up.

Yormark, 38, was hired as president and chief executive offer of Nets Sports & Entertainment, LLC on Wednesday.

As vice president of corporate marketing for NASCAR, Yormark started and closed the $750 million deal that made Nextel the title sponsor of NASCAR'S premier series. It is still the largest sponsorship agreement in American sports history.

"I look at this as a wonderful challenge and a great opportunity," Yormark said in a telephone interview. "I've always thought the Nets have never really had their day and I still feel that way.

"(Nets owner) Bruce Ratner has done a real nice job in instilling a new attitude and developing a culture that's all about the fans. My goal is to continue along that trend."

Yormark began his marketing career with the Nets in 1988 and made a brief return in 1994 before taking on the challenge of developing NASCAR from a regionalized sport to a powerful sports property with a national corporate marketing presence.

Yormark, who forged corporate partnerships with more than 50 of America's biggest companies, said he will use his "extensive Rolodex" to create new financial relationships for the Nets.

He'll also ask the players to be the most accessible in the NBA to spearhead the pursuit of building the team's fan base before its move to Brooklyn, expected in 2008 or 2009.

"I think Brooklyn could be the biggest story in sports marking in 20 years," Yormark said. "Brooklyn is a brand in itself. I mean, this is ground-breaking stuff.

I think I have found the worst brown nose up to the boss corporate line by a CEO with this comment. The loss of Martin and Kittles really helped the fan base attitude.
    "(Nets owner) Bruce Ratner has done a real nice job in instilling a new attitude and developing a culture that's all about the fans. My goal is to continue along that trend."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still pissed off about the Nets moving to Brooklyn and everything but I think this guy is a step in the right direction. He's young (38) and I hear he's pretty charismatic. I think he's the energy we need in that organization cause Ratner is a stiff bastard. It'll be interesting how Rod Thorn and this new guy work together to bring the team the respect they deserve in the NBA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they could ever find a way to break the hold the Knicks have of the area the Nets would be a big hit. As a long time fan, they have been bad for so long that everyone around here treated them with apathy and nobody cares. Even if they move to Brooklyn its going to take a long time to get fans to move over to watching the Nets, unless they happen to land a guy like Shaq or James. I think this hiring sounds liek a good one. The basketball aspect you have to sell to the younger generation of fans who maybe dont have that big love for the Knicks. The Nets are the far more exciting team, have much better players, and will probably be near the top of the East(dicounting this year of course) for the foreseeable future, while the Knicks are goig to have a tough team being anything more than a .500 team. This part can almost market itself to a select group. People get into it in the playoffs and the trick is to make them get into it during the season.

He seems to be really on the ball with the corporate route which is going to be the way to get the place full. The Knicks have so much money invested with companies and sponsorships through the Garden that the average fan isnt seeing alot of basketball at MSG. If those corporations were not there the Garden would probably be half full every night. If he can find a way to get that type of attendance for the Nets its going to be a big hit. Immediately you are filling an empty arena and more importantly creating the perception that the hot ticket is bring courtside to watch the team regardless of how good or bad they are. Im not sure how set in stone their deal is with the Yankees, but if its not a closed deal since the sale dont be surprised to see them land on the New Mets network soon who will be desperate for programming. If you create a splash doing that rather than just being the tag along partner of YankeeNets you are helping that public perception that this is a franchise to pay attention to. The fact that they lucked into being on WFAN is something that long term will be a boost to the team as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    A NASCAR guy? This looks like merely a PR exec. Will try and appease the fans until the move. Not gonna sell ME any tickets. Get me a SG or C and then you'll see me at the swamp.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@Jan 25 2005, 06:59 PM
    A NASCAR guy? This looks like merely a PR exec. Will try and appease the fans until the move. Not gonna sell ME any tickets. Get me a SG or C and then you'll see me at the swamp.
    Nah man Krstic is progressing really well. Remember he's just a rookie 21 year old kid. I'm really impressed with him. We need to draft a PF in the draft this year. With a starting 5 of Kidd, Carter, Jefferson, Krstic and like a rookie PF like Pitts Chris Taft (if he comes out this year) then we'll be a decent damn team man. Dump collins, vaughn and mercer and use the money to pick up 1 or 2 decent backups for the front court and I think we'd have a decent shot next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, almost forgot the sudden need for the F. Not a big fan of his, but even Cliff Robinson would help. We're not far off(as far as the East goes) so I'd like to see a move NOW. If not I'll have to wait for all that stuff to happen next year. Hopefully we won't have to wait until the team's in Brooklyn to see a decent team. I've been to see the Nets when they were horrible but now I'm older and less patient. If they're not competitive, I'm not coming.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone here the rumor floating around the kidd wants to go to golden state for cliff, dale davis and a 1st or 2nd rounder? my friend back in Jersey told me about it tonight. It prolly won't happen but apparently, kidd would give up his quest for a championship to finish his career near his hometown.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by preludepunk@Jan 27 2005, 02:18 AM
    anyone here the rumor floating around the kidd wants to go to golden state for cliff, dale davis and a 1st or 2nd rounder? my friend back in Jersey told me about it tonight. It prolly won't happen but apparently, kidd would give up his quest for a championship to finish his career near his hometown.
    Your friend must have been drunk The Nets would never consider that offer. Maybe a few months ago when they dismantled but not after acquiring Carter. Kidd, I doubt would want to go to GS who has less of a chance to win than the Nets, anyway. Today Rod Thorn said he will no longer entertain any offers for Kidd.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jason423+Jan 27 2005, 06:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jason423 @ Jan 27 2005, 06:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-preludepunk@Jan 27 2005, 02:18 AM
    anyone here the rumor floating around the kidd wants to go to golden state for cliff, dale davis and a 1st or 2nd rounder? my friend back in Jersey told me about it tonight. It prolly won&#39;t happen but apparently, kidd would give up his quest for a championship to finish his career near his hometown.
    Your friend must have been drunk The Nets would never consider that offer. Maybe a few months ago when they dismantled but not after acquiring Carter. Kidd, I doubt would want to go to GS who has less of a chance to win than the Nets, anyway. Today Rod Thorn said he will no longer entertain any offers for Kidd. [/b][/quote]
    Thank god. My friend told me it was on a bball rumor sight he goes to. I know the cliff robinson for a second round pick it still on the table but the ****in warriors want a 1st rounder for the old boy. He&#39;s like what 36-38...he&#39;s not worth a 1st rounder, but he&#39;d be nice to have a good defensive body in there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other rumore is Elden Campbell. I think the Nets have until tonight to decide if they want to pick him up for 2 million or let him go elsewhere. I would rather have Robinson, but hes not worth anything more than a number 2 and I would never give up a 1 for him.