Thread: O/T Lenny Wilkens will resign tommorow...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Discuss....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not his fault. Can't win without talent. Too bad about the Thomas deal. I was actually rooting for Isiah.

TomShane
    Wilkens was a dead man walking from the word 'go' this year. The fact that the most athletic team in the Eastern Conference can't guard anyone was sad to watch. I don't think Lenny has put in 4 full hours at the office since 1976, and I think that's what was reflected on the floor.

I watched the end of the game tonight, Knicks up by one with about 30 seconds left, Stephon Marbury dribbling the clock down, ready to go one on one with Bobby Sura--yes, that Bobby Sura--and Walt Frazier on the broadcast, as the clock is winding down says "Steph calls himself the best point guard in the NBA, well, prove it!" What happens? Sura locks Steph up, Steph throws it off-balance over to Crawford, Crawford throws it back to Steph, shot-clock expires. Truly embarrassing, and an example of everything that is wrong with Stephon Marbury (you could hear Clyde smiling) and everything that was wrong with the Knicks. The Rockets get it back downcourt, Scott Padgett gets a 10-foot leaner to drop at the buzzer, Knicks lose. Good-bye Wilkens.

Now, the Knicks will let douchebag leech Brendan Suhr coach the team for the rest of the season and Isiah will pray that Phil Jackson takes the reins next year. There's NO way that Jackson is going to take over the Knicks right now, knowing that he has zero chance to win with this group, with their current mentality. And, if Jackson DOES take the job next year, look for Stephon to be shipped to his FIFTH team. Best PG in the game, my ass.

TomShane
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@Jan 22 2005, 01:16 AM
    Not his fault. Can't win without talent. Too bad about the Thomas Deal. I was actually rooting for Isiah.
    What's up with Isiah?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Lennys press conference after the game tonite, and he just looked like he didnt care, he gave his "We played a good game excuse" but it looked like he just didnt care, any coach who really gave a damn would have been furious with a loss like the way they lost tonite...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane+Jan 22 2005, 01:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane &#064; Jan 22 2005, 01:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JumbalayaJet@Jan 22 2005, 01:16 AM
    Not his fault. Can&#39;t win without talent. Too bad about the Thomas Deal. I was actually rooting for Isiah.
    What&#39;s up with Isiah? [/b][/quote]
    He made some good moves but it all went downhill when he dumped Van Horn for this stiff. As a Nets fan I was hoping he&#39;d bring the team back into contention. Then we&#39;d have the rivalry that never really was. Now we&#39;re about equal, but neither is going far.

TomShane
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet+Jan 22 2005, 01:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JumbalayaJet @ Jan 22 2005, 01:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 22 2005, 01:23 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-JumbalayaJet
    @Jan 22 2005, 01:16 AM
    Not his fault. Can&#39;t win without talent. Too bad about the Thomas Deal. I was actually rooting for Isiah.

What&#39;s up with Isiah?
    He made some good moves but it all went downhill when he dumped Van Horn for this stiff. As a Nets fan I was hoping he&#39;d bring the team back into contention. Then we&#39;d have the rivalry that never really was. Now we&#39;re about equal, but neither is going far. [/b][/quote]
    I was watching the Nets tonight, too. It&#39;s just a damn shame what Ratner&#39;s done to that squad. I can&#39;t kill him for not giving KMart the max (methinks Denver would like a refund right now), but not getting anything back for him or Kittles has been death for this squad. Right now it&#39;s Kidd, Carter and a summer-league squad, although Krstic is going to be niiiiice. He reminds me of a young Vlade, but more physical.

I think they&#39;re actually a better team without Jefferson, to tell you the truth. Carter does the same things as RJ, except that he does them 8000 times better than RJ can ever dream of. If they could just add one post-player to the mix and get a legit back-up 2, they could take the pitiful Atlantic conference easily. The Knicks, 76ers and Celtics are going nowhere.

Sad as it is the say, only the Nets can give Miami or Cleveland a real run in the playoffs. Kidd just makes everybody so much better on the floor, that they could really throw a scare into an over-rated Heat squad that&#39;s basically Shaq, Wade and a pile of s**t, and Cleveland, who will wet their pants as soon as the bright lights come on, guaranteed.

As for VanHorn, that was addition by subtraction. Believe it or not, since Van Horn started playing for the Bucks, the Milwaukee chapter of the KKK has started to hate white people. Tim Thomas smokes WAYYYY too much weed, true, but I think if someone comes in a puts a serious boot in his ass he can easily get you 20 ppg a night. Now that Grand-daddy Wilkens is gone, I&#39;ll be interested to see if Tim Thomas doesn&#39;t start showing up consistently.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 22 2005, 12:22 AM
    Wilkens was a dead man walking from the word &#39;go&#39; this year. The fact that the most athletic team in the Eastern Conference can&#39;t guard anyone was sad to watch. I don&#39;t think Lenny has put in 4 full hours at the office since 1976, and I think that&#39;s what was reflected on the floor.

I watched the end of the game tonight, Knicks up by one with about 30 seconds left, Stephon Marbury dribbling the clock down, ready to go one on one with Bobby Sura--yes, that Bobby Sura--and Walt Frazier on the broadcast, as the clock is winding down says "Steph calls himself the best point guard in the NBA, well, prove it&#33;" What happens? Sura locks Steph up, Steph throws it off-balance over to Crawford, Crawford throws it back to Steph, shot-clock expires. Truly embarrassing, and an example of everything that is wrong with Stephon Marbury (you could hear Clyde smiling) and everything that was wrong with the Knicks. The Rockets get it back downcourt, Scott Padgett gets a 10-foot leaner to drop at the buzzer, Knicks lose. Good-bye Wilkens.

Now, the Knicks will let douchebag leech Brendan Suhr coach the team for the rest of the season and Isiah will pray that Phil Jackson takes the reins next year. There&#39;s NO way that Jackson is going to take over the Knicks right now, knowing that he has zero chance to win with this group, with their current mentality. And, if Jackson DOES take the job next year, look for Stephon to be shipped to his FIFTH team. Best PG in the game, my ass.
    Stephon is a good player but not a PG. He can make moves in the lane and "dish and swish," but Stephon can&#39;t lead a team up and down the court in a defined offense. I will never turn my back on this group of NEW YORK KNICKS beacuse i am not fickle. Crawford is talented, Sweetney is a house, Marbury is a proven scorer, and TRADE HOUSTON. Meanwhile get rid of CBA F*CK ISAIH TOHAMS HES GARBAGE. THIS TEAM HAS POTENTIAL, LET THEM DEVELOP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    MY RAPTORS WILL TAKE THE DIVISION

book it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkens was in a no win situation with the Knicks this year. The fact is they just are not any good. When you look up and down that roster who on that team is a championship caliber player? Marbury? I don&#39;t think so. Thomas? Please. Crawford? Keep looking. Its just a mish mosh of talent that would all be nice role players on a very good team, and thats it. The Knicks have been a disaster since Van Gundy left the team and the front office has just been a disaster for years. With the exception of Houston, who still looks to be a year away from being healthy, if he will ever be healthy again, nobody with big talent is a complimentary player to anyone. You have three guys who need to dominate the ball to score(Marbury, Crawford, Thomas) and now you are looking to bring in Jalen Rose? What is this team thinking? Kurt Thomas is a nice player maybe I should put him as the one guy who can be a complimentary guy to someone provided they feel like passing him the ball. And the rest of the crew like Sweetney and Mohammed would be great backups on a good team, not major contributors on a bad one.

I was watching the Nets tonight, too. It&#39;s just a damn shame what Ratner&#39;s done to that squad. I can&#39;t kill him for not giving KMart the max (methinks Denver would like a refund right now), but not getting anything back for him or Kittles has been death for this squad. Right now it&#39;s Kidd, Carter and a summer-league squad, although Krstic is going to be niiiiice. He reminds me of a young Vlade, but more physical.

I think they&#39;re actually a better team without Jefferson, to tell you the truth. Carter does the same things as RJ, except that he does them 8000 times better than RJ can ever dream of. If they could just add one post-player to the mix and get a legit back-up 2, they could take the pitiful Atlantic conference easily. The Knicks, 76ers and Celtics are going nowhere.

Sad as it is the say, only the Nets can give Miami or Cleveland a real run in the playoffs. Kidd just makes everybody so much better on the floor, that they could really throw a scare into an over-rated Heat squad that&#39;s basically Shaq, Wade and a pile of s**t, and Cleveland, who will wet their pants as soon as the bright lights come on, guaranteed.
    The Kittles deal bothered me alot more than the Martin deal. Kittles was still a ncie player that you could have at least gotten a body back for that could come off the bench plus that second round pick. Martin just isnt worth the kind of money he wanted. Going into last season I said I would let him walk if he was going to get a max deal somewhere. He&#39;s a good defender, brings some intangibles to the game, but was more a product of Jason Kidd than anything else. Hes not a great rebounder and is sometimes more interested in running that rebounding. And once you got into a set offense he was not a good option. Really nobody on the Nets was a good option actually.

Ratner played the whole situation all wrong. Going into the offseason it looked like you could make a deal for Rahim for Kittles and keep Martin or at least get Nene and 2 picks for Kenyon. But as he dragged his feet with Kenyon it became apparent that they were not going offer him a deal. All they had to do was leak some numbers they were considering or that they would match any max deal early in the process rather than waiting until the last second to do it. When Atlanta offered him the deal they needed to go full tilt in the media they would be matching it if he signed the offer sheet. Instead it all just came off as lip service at which point Denver knew they had the Nets balls in a vice. So the Nets settled for 3 picks, which they were probably lucky to get. And the effect trickled down to where it went from Kittles for Rahim to Kittles for anyone to Kittles for a bag of chips and a soda. When you have no leveraging power you are screwed. And the Nets owner blew it big time.

If Carter stays healthy he is a great fit for this team and the style of offense they play. The trade ended up being Carter and 1 pick for Martin. I think its a good deal. Im not sure if they could have made that trade for Carter had Kenyon been here, but Im sure some people think they could have which would have bought the NBA title this year. Kidd finally looks healthy again and is moving great. They still have the most talent in the pitiful Atlantic and probably is the only team that can give the big guys in the East a run for anything, especially if Kidd is healthy enough to play Wade. You have to like where the team is headed. Kidd, Jefferson, and Carter as the backcourt is about as good as it gets nowadays. Kristic looks like he is going to be a real player. I think he will be better than Divac, which is a pretty good comparison. Ron Mercer shouldn&#39;t be horrible off the bench if he ever plays and their backup guards are ok. And of course Brian Scalabrine off the bench. If one of their 2 draft picks this year ends up turning into someone with size they will be in great shape. Collins is just so slow footed and not agressive for a guy with that size. They need someone behind him that can jump in front of him in a year or 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 22 2005, 01:41 AM

I was watching the Nets tonight, too. It&#39;s just a damn shame what Ratner&#39;s done to that squad. I can&#39;t kill him for not giving KMart the max (methinks Denver would like a refund right now), but not getting anything back for him
    Didn&#39;t they get like 3 1st rounders or something like that for KMart?

Now the Knicks HAVE the talent. They have 2 very good shooting guards, a decent PG, a decent SF, a decent PF and a pretty good center. Not to mention very good depth.

They lack 3 things:

1) The will to play D - which they can play if they fricken wanted to. JYD and Kurt Thomas are defensive studs. Nazr is a decent low post defender. Marbury and Crawford have the ability to play D if they wanted to. Tim Thomas and Allan Houston play the old "Matador D" though.

2) A legit go to guy when you need to stop a run.

3) A coach who wasn&#39;t a deam man walking since the day he was hired (not his fault).

I really feel that with the right attitude they would win their division (not saying much), and with a different coaching style (The Czar anyone? Oh wait, he DID have the job for 3 and a half seconds) they could win a playoff round or 2. This team has the horses to be a fun and competitive team to watch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lenny is the man&#33;&#33; Only guy in PC history to have his number retired&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkens hasn&#39;t done much. But the talent on this team is pretty hurting, though they could still win their division. So Thmas and marbury can get a few silly folks excited with a 1st round exit and pretend it&#39;s a success.

The Knicks will never suck enough to get a good draft pick, nor have enough cap room to sign a real player. They&#39;re really in a no man&#39;s land of bad contracts.

Phil jackson isn&#39;t coming here unless the Knicks are ready to win, which won&#39;t be the case for some time.

Van gundy saw this coming whis is why he walked out. And further, he hasn&#39;t been anything great with the Rockets. Van Gundy is also why they hung onto Ewing until it was too lat to get anything for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    well look on the bright side...

Herb Williams has the highest win % in NBA history (1.000)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EZV@Jan 22 2005, 05:39 PM
    well look on the bright side...

Herb Williams has the highest win % in NBA history (1.000)
    You are correct on that. Herb gets to coach his second game on Sunday. Good luck Herb&#33;....Poor Lenny was definately doomed. They dont have awesome talent, but I think the team that they have is talented enouch to not be playing the way they have the last few games especially last night. If Marbury and Crawford wasn&#39;t playing a game of "Taps"....then maybe they could have made a damn shot and possibly won the game. Lenny doesnt need that crap anyway. He&#39;s to old for that kind of crap. Lenny was gonna fall out any night from the horrific play we&#39;ve been engrosed in....Good luck Herb&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until the Knicks can get out of Houston&#39;s terrible contract they are going to be relegated to mediocre team. Not that good but not bad enough to get a high draft pick. Wilkens was in a no win situation there.
    Isiah should just take over running the team which is what he really seems to want anyway. Phil Jackson will not go to situation where he knows he can not challenge for a championship.