Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Board has deteriorated lately

Hall Of Fame
    I love this site and this forum, but lately, all I have seen is CBTNY and to a lesser extent NE Hick just mercilessly ripping and insulting anyone and everyone who doesn't support W.

Posts like "waaaaaa, waaaaa - all you libs do is cry and hate America" get old quickly.

It takes about two seconds to figure out which "party" or which candidate any given poster supports. We all know that curtis, jetsmetsisles, nickeldefense, section and bitonti are anti-Bush. We all also know Bush won the election.

GET OVER IT (Bush supporters). Show a little class.

Let's discuss ideas, opinions, issues, current events, and let's do it in a way that is thoughtful, respectful and, most importantly - FUN!

This board used to be fun. It's not any more, mainly because of the rampant, childish gloating going on.

Hate to call you guys out, because I know that when you are in the right mood, you can be great contributers to this site. But, grow up.....

I haven't been posting as much lately - partly because of some other reasons, but a main reason is that it just isn't any fun anymore. And sorry, I blame the Bushies for this deterioration.

After a certain point - all of this insulting and stuff starts to reflect poorly on the persons doing it and implies that they aren't really capable of anything more intellectual than simple, "Yea Team!" arguments.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Can't disagree with you but not gonna sit by and let the libbies come by and drop ignorant bombs against the President...nevermind the fact they can't back up their accusations, even when challenged to do so.

I think this forum went downhill when Bman was banned, seriously. He was a nice counterbalance to the hard core right wingers, and was pretty funny w/ a few exceptions when he was over the top. I would love to see him allowed back.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:05 AM
    [b] I love this site and this forum, but lately, all I have seen is CBTNY and to a lesser extent NE Hick just mercilessly ripping and insulting anyone and everyone who doesn't support W.

Posts like "waaaaaa, waaaaa - all you libs do is cry and hate America" get old quickly.

It takes about two seconds to figure out which "party" or which candidate any given poster supports. We all know that curtis, jetsmetsisles, nickeldefense, section and bitonti are anti-Bush. We all also know Bush won the election.

Let's discuss ideas, opinions, issues, current events, and let's do it in a way that is thoughtful, respectful and, most importantly - FUN!

This board used to be fun. It's not any more, mainly because of the rampant, childish gloating going on.

Hate to call you guys out, because I know that when you are in the right mood, you can be great contributers to this site. But, grow up.....

I haven't been posting as much lately - partly because of some other reasons, but a main reason is that it just isn't any fun anymore. And sorry, I blame the Bushies for this deterioration.

After a certain point - all of this insulting and stuff starts to reflect poorly on the persons doing it and implies that they aren't really capable of anything more intellectual than simple, "Yea Team!" arguments. [/b][/quote]
    Jet5, I respect your opinion and our's should be respected also.

I, for one, am sick of conservatives being called bigots, homophobes, bible thumpers and racists. That started on their side a looooooong and now it's payback!!!!

We heard for months how W was going to be sent packing by the "overwhelming" voices of the American people. Guess what -- like global warming and blood for oil, it was an over exaggeration and propaganda.

And I know that if the hero of the Vietcong were elected (shudder), conservatives would be getting the same treatment. I accept that when I pick a side and defend it.

When I see that the concern for the military is not just based solely on body counts -- when I'm convinced dems and lefties put the interest of our nation over that of the world or the un, my comments will stop and my hand will extend the olive branch.

Until then, I will express my opinion and the way I feel. And if they don't like it, they can leave (the board or the country).

Hall Of Fame
    Part of what happened was that the stories in the political world have gone away a bit because the election is over. Extremely interesting things happen during that time and when its over, theres not as much to say. Of course there are still very important issues to talk about, but it doesnt seem like we can do anything to fix them, considering the only election people take seriously wont come aorund for another four years.

But I do agree with you about whats going on. It gets really annoying seeing both sides argue like little children. Although I dont agree with CTBNY's way of debating, I can also see why he is doing it. The quality of posts from the left have seriously gone down, so it is difficult to try to be the better man and debate the issues intellectually.

But I guess this is the way the mainstream media deals with politicals now anyway, right? Screw intellectual debate, lets instead sensationalize debates and see if the stronger man can kill the weak. Pretty pathetic.

All Pro
    I'm not here often, but I'm a staunch centrist.

I very much favor our mixing it up in the desert, a notion apparently conservative.

... but also believe the Republicans would be happy to see us all living in mobile homes, buying everything from the Dollar Store and ChineseTrading co.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 08:48 PM
    [b]And I know that if the hero of the Vietcong were elected (shudder), conservatives would be getting the same treatment. [/b][/quote]
    Are you talking about the guy that waited till the following morning to have the pencil tip pulled out of his arm by an Army doc so he could qualify for his 3rd Purple Heart and go home to be with Jane Fonda?

All League
    [b] I love this site and this forum, but lately, all I have seen is CBTNY and to a lesser extent NE Hick just mercilessly ripping and insulting anyone and everyone who doesn't support W.

After a certain point - all of this insulting and stuff starts to reflect poorly on the persons doing it and implies that they aren't really capable of anything more intellectual than simple, "Yea Team!" arguments. [/b][/quote]
    Hello Mr Kettle this is Mr. Pot.....may I call you white ?

See if you remember this Jets5ever ?

[quote][b]Free speech is a two-way street. You are free to say your piece, and others are free to call you names because of it. You are then free to think they are morons for doing so. See how it works?

Freedom of speech does not mean that speech has no consequences. I am free to think that women are inferior to men, and am free to state as much publicly. There is no law against it. However, there would be consequences for doing so...uncomfortable ones for me, I imagine. If my family and friends wanted to ostracize me, or my employer fire me, they would have every right to do so, based on that speech.

The freedom of speech line is tossed around casually by liberals who don't fully understand it. These same liberals, mind you, are the ones who will be the first to shout "racist! homophobe!" or worse whenever someone speaks words that THEY don't approve of, or when they are trying to get the KKK kicked out of some parade, and Gay Pride people included. They are also the ones who want religious symbols removed from all public forums, even though they are "freedom of speech" warriors. (For the record, obviously the KKK is an awful organization)

The day that Michael Moore is arrested solely for saying something against Bush is the day liberals can whine about freedom of speech. [/b][/quote]

I believe that little gem came from "Susan Sontag burns in hell". Actually there are number of arguments, most of which are facile, that bear closer scrutiny. But the upshot of what you stated in your piece can be summarized by saying "freedom of speech gives license to the right to attack anyone with who it disagrees". And in most cases those are personnal attacks some ending in physical assaults. It also leads to the commonly held perception that the Right is populated by a bunch of emotionally unstable reactionaries. CBNY and Hick are poster children for that image. But 5ever you are correct the Right has every right to attack those with whom they disagree. And I actually welcome it because the diversion of the debate from the argument at hand to the character of the debater show the intellectual bankruptcy of those on the right.

As to what this forum has become you need look no further than the mirror to see a chief protagonist behind the name calling.

i think this board is as fun as ever!!

didn't you all enjoy the article on moving cursors with your brain as much as i did? :lol:

So what you're saying here is ... you've missed ole GJ&H ;)

Hall Of Fame
    WCM - You consistently and, IMO, purposefully misunderstand and misrepresent what I write. My freedom of speech post can not be summarized in the fashion you think it can be, and, frankly, I am growing tired of your self-important, condescending straw men "arguments." Also, all you [i]ever do[/i] is insult people with whom you disagree or call them things like "emotionally unstable reactionaries." You are the ad homimen king! You did it several times in your self-important post about how [i]intellectually bankrupt [/i]ad homimen attacks are! I suppose being a hypocrite is just your way of subverting the dominant paradigm, or something. If my freedom of speech arguments are "facile" them surely someone as breathtakingly intelligent and insightful as yourself would have no trouble demonstrating that or engaging in a discussion about them with me, or asking me for clarification on any point with which your disagree or don't understand. But no, you didn't do that. You called my arguments facile, yet didn't offer any criticism of their substance. You then misrepresented my arguments, and insulted people with whom you disagree. Impressive, truly. Freedom of speech does have consequences. This thread is about pointing one of them out - namely, my opinion that this board has deteriorated. I am not telling anyone that they don't have a right to say what they want to say on this board. I am just saying that one of the consequences of their speech is that fact that in my opinion this board is not as good as it used to be. ...And my criticisms were focused on conservatives! I was actually defending guys on the left....

Weeb - you are right. Both sides are guilty. I should have amended my initial post to include those on the left whose posts have also deteriorated. And you are likely right about how they would have acted had Kerry won. Point taken.

I guess Brody is correct - perhaps it's just gotten worse sine the election is no longer the focal point. I don't know....

All League
    The answer is simple. I havn't been posting as much, therefore the forum has deteriorated.

Seriously though, I think the real problem is the election was so emotinally charged for most of us. The losers feel depressed while the winners feeel the need to rub it in the losers face.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Jan 24 2005, 11:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (WestCoastMole &#064; Jan 24 2005, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:05 AM
    [b] I love this site and this forum, but lately, all I have seen is CBTNY and to a lesser extent NE Hick just mercilessly ripping and insulting anyone and everyone who doesn&#39;t support W.

Let&#39;s discuss ideas, opinions, issues, current events, and let&#39;s do it in a way that is thoughtful, respectful and, most importantly - FUN&#33;

This board used to be fun. It&#39;s not any more, mainly because of the rampant, childish gloating going on.

I haven&#39;t been posting as much lately - partly because of some other reasons, but a main reason is that it just isn&#39;t any fun anymore. And sorry, I blame the Bushies for this deterioration.

After a certain point - all of this insulting and stuff starts to reflect poorly on the persons doing it and implies that they aren&#39;t really capable of anything more intellectual than simple, "Yea Team&#33;" arguments. [/b][/quote]
    Hello Mr Kettle this is Mr. Pot.....may I call you white ?

See if you remember this Jets5ever ?

[quote][b]Free speech is a two-way street. You are free to say your piece, and others are free to call you names because of it. You are then free to think they are morons for doing so. See how it works?

Freedom of speech does not mean that speech has no consequences. I am free to think that women are inferior to men, and am free to state as much publicly. There is no law against it. However, there would be consequences for doing so...uncomfortable ones for me, I imagine. If my family and friends wanted to ostracize me, or my employer fire me, they would have every right to do so, based on that speech.

The freedom of speech line is tossed around casually by liberals who don&#39;t fully understand it. These same liberals, mind you, are the ones who will be the first to shout "racist&#33; homophobe&#33;" or worse whenever someone speaks words that THEY don&#39;t approve of, or when they are trying to get the KKK kicked out of some parade, and Gay Pride people included. They are also the ones who want religious symbols removed from all public forums, even though they are "freedom of speech" warriors. (For the record, obviously the KKK is an awful organization)

The day that Michael Moore is arrested solely for saying something against Bush is the day liberals can whine about freedom of speech. [/b][/quote]

I believe that little gem came from "Susan Sontag burns in hell". Actually there are number of arguments, most of which are facile, that bear closer scrutiny. But the upshot of what you stated in your piece can be summarized by saying "freedom of speech gives license to the right to attack anyone with who it disagrees". And in most cases those are personnal attacks some ending in physical assaults. It also leads to the commonly held perception that the Right is populated by a bunch of emotionally unstable reactionaries. CBNY and Hick are poster children for that image. But 5ever you are correct the Right has every right to attack those with whom they disagree. And I actually welcome it because the diversion of the debate from the argument at hand to the character of the debater show the intellectual bankruptcy of those on the right.

As to what this forum has become you need look no further than the mirror to see a chief protagonist behind the name calling.[/b][/quote]
    [img]http://bananajunction.com/images/Inf_Todd/toolbox.gif[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:55 AM
    [b] The answer is simple. I havn&#39;t been posting as much, therefore the forum has deteriorated.

[/b][/quote]
    now that&#39;s a funny response. (no sarcasm either)

[quote][i]Originally posted by kevin45[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 06:59 PM
    [b] I think this forum went downhill when Bman was banned, seriously. He was a nice counterbalance to the hard core right wingers, and was pretty funny w/ a few exceptions when he was over the top. I would love to see him allowed back. [/b][/quote]
    Bman was a complete ass.

This board just lessened in intensity after the election, that&#39;s your real culprit.

Giggles & some other leftys lost some steam, understandably, but bitonti seems in rational shape.

Board isn&#39;t so bad.

whoops. Double post.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:55 AM
    [b] The losers feel depressed while the winners feeel the need to rub it in the losers face. [/b][/quote]
    Except if Kerry would have won, you wouldnt see one Kerry voter rubbing it in, because Kerry voters have class for the most part and Kerry voters are looking at the bigger picture, and that is to make the world around them better, Evil Bush pig voters are just looking to make people around the world as miserable as they are....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetsMetsIsles+Jan 25 2005, 02:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JetsMetsIsles @ Jan 25 2005, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:55 AM
    [b] The losers feel depressed while the winners feeel the need to rub it in the losers face. [/b][/quote]
    Except if Kerry would have won, you wouldnt see one Kerry voter rubbing it in, because Kerry voters have class for the most part and Kerry voters are looking at the bigger picture, and that is to make the world around them better, Evil Bush pig voters are just looking to make people around the world as miserable as they are.... [/b][/quote]
    And 5ever...you wonder why I reply the way I do sometimes???

Hall Of Fame
    You have a point, CBTNY, you have a point. Yikes.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsMetsIsles+Jan 25 2005, 01:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JetsMetsIsles @ Jan 25 2005, 01:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:55 AM
    Except if Kerry would have won, you wouldnt see one Kerry voter rubbing it in, because Kerry voters have class for the most part and Kerry voters are looking at the bigger picture, and that is to make the world around them better, Evil Bush pig voters are just looking to make people around the world as miserable as they are.... [/b][/quote]
    :blink: