Thread: Good news Boxing fans....

Hall Of Fame
    Trinidad vs. Wright a done deal, DKP announcement forthcoming
    Posted by Ric Solivan on 01-20-2005 | 10:37 am | Article Links

Winky accepts 3 to 4 million dollar offer and will meet Felix Trinidad in a 12 round bout on May 14th at Madison Square Garden or the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
    Undisputed Jr. Middleweight monarch Ronald “Winky” Wright and his advisor Gary Shaw have confirmed that the bout with Felix Trinidad “Is a done deal” for May 14th at Madison Square Garden or the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Promoter Don King will make the long awaited formal announcement within a few days time.

Monetary terms were not openly discussed, but apparently Trinidad has taken a million dollar cut from his salary while Winky reportedly is still making a reported 3 to 4million dollars. Interestingly enough the bout has been confirmed as a twelve round affair, which indicates a minor title being involved.

Wright (48-3, 25 ko’s) is coming off two consecutive clean sweeps of former world champion “Sugar” Shane Mosley is the WBC/WBA super welterweight champion. However with today’s confirmation of his ascension to the middleweight level, his days as WBC champion are numbered according to the organization’s president Jose Sulaiman who insists that Wright was previously informed that should he not face WBC regular titlist Javier Castillejo of Spain immediately that he would be stripped of his title.

Felix Trinidad (42-1, 35 ko’s) is coming off an impressive 8th round TKO bludgeoning of Ricardo Mayorga in October of last year after a two-year retirement and is looking to augment his legendary boxing career record. According to statements made by Tito’s father, manager and trainer Don Felix Trinidad Rodriguez, Wright may just be the final opponent before the start of the imminent redemption quest against Tito’s only conqueror in Bernard Hopkins.

when do tickets go on sale?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by sufferingjetsfan[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:47 AM
    [b] when do tickets go on sale? [/b][/quote]
    official announcement upcoming in the next few days

It maybe just me but Winky Wright is one of the most boring fighters out there.

I will be rooting hard for a Trinidad KO.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:53 AM
    [b] It maybe just me but Winky Wright is one of the most boring fighters out there.

I will be rooting hard for a Trinidad KO. [/b][/quote]
    me too, also just saw that Eric Morales is fighting Manny Pacquio (sp)

March 19 on PPV, should be a nice matchup as well

Practice Squad
    Winky is going to beat Tito! Winky is going to outbox him, and win a desicion.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by white lightning[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 11:09 AM
    [b] Winky is going to beat Tito! Winky is going to outbox him, and win a desicion. [/b][/quote]
    I'd love to bet you on that, although he is a southpaw he is not in Tito's league and will be exposed in this fight, Tito is too strong for him

Practice Squad
    I'm going to have to disagree on you. Tito does punch harder, but Winky is to smart to mix it up. I'm no Winky fan by the way, I was rooting for Mosley to win. Tito can be outboxed, look at De La Hoya (which he beat Tito), and Hopkins outboxed him.

Also I think the Eastman vs. Hopkins fight is going to closer than everybody thinks. I'm also pulling for the upset their. I really dislike Hopkins. I can write a whole article on why that is, but I'll save that for later.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by white lightning[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 11:27 AM
    [b] I'm going to have to disagree on you. Tito does punch harder, but Winky is to smart to mix it up. I'm no Winky fan by the way, I was rooting for Mosley to win. Tito can be outboxed, look at De La Hoya (which he beat Tito), and Hopkins outboxed him.

Also I think the Eastman vs. Hopkins fight is going to closer than everybody thinks. I'm also pulling for the upset their. I really dislike Hopkins. I can write a whole article on why that is, but I'll save that for later. [/b][/quote]
    I would agree if the same Tito that fought bernard showed up that night, but since his return, albeit just one fight, he showed alot more movement and boxing skills than he had in the past and he reminds of of Gattia after he added a bit of defense...a whole differnt and more dangerous fighter

did you see the tito v. Mayorga fight?

I think it will be an interesting fight, but I also believe Tito is too strong for Winky.

Classic matchup in styles, with Winky being a great defensive, ellusive, counter boxer, and Tito, a knockout, power punching machine.

I look for it to be close early, but Tito will overpower him. The key is Tito's jab. If he lands it consistently, Winky will hit the mat.

Sugar Shane couldn't hurt Winky. Didn't have enough power. With Tito, Winky will not be able to stand toe to toe. He will have to hit and run.

Tito in 9

The fight I'm also looking forward to is the Pacqiuo(sp?)-Morales fight. That should be interesting. Does Morales rebound?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jan 24 2005, 11:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Jan 24 2005, 11:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-white lightning[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 11:27 AM
    [b] I&#39;m going to have to disagree on you. Tito does punch harder, but Winky is to smart to mix it up. I&#39;m no Winky fan by the way, I was rooting for Mosley to win. Tito can be outboxed, look at De La Hoya (which he beat Tito), and Hopkins outboxed him.

Also I think the Eastman vs. Hopkins fight is going to closer than everybody thinks. I&#39;m also pulling for the upset their. I really dislike Hopkins. I can write a whole article on why that is, but I&#39;ll save that for later. [/b][/quote]
    I would agree if the same Tito that fought bernard showed up that night, but since his return, albeit just one fight, he showed alot more movement and boxing skills than he had in the past and he reminds of of Gattia after he added a bit of defense...a whole differnt and more dangerous fighter

did you see the tito v. Mayorga fight? [/b][/quote]
    I am in the minority here, but most of everyone I talked to about a Hopkins-Tito fight feel Tito will beat Hopkins.

I strongly disagree.

Styles make fights. Tito can&#39;t dominate Hopkins the way he dominated other boxers. Hopkins made Tito box, move around the ring. He, like De La Hoya, took his punches and were able to counter box. They out jabbed him, and frustrated Tito. They used their jabs brilliantly and also mangled his body, by throwing body punches that set him up.

Obviously, not everyone can do this, but Mayorga, Vargas, and others are brawlers. They lacked the ability to box Tito.

I would Tito an advantage in that he is younger, fresher, and would be facing an old, 41/42 yr old Hopkins, although he is not your typical 40 something yr old, the age would be a factor. That being said, if all things are fair, I would expect a closer fight, but Hopkins winning a decision. That is, unless Don King robs him.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MiamiJet+Jan 24 2005, 11:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (MiamiJet @ Jan 24 2005, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jan 24 2005, 11:46 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-white lightning[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 11:27 AM
    [b] I&#39;m going to have to disagree on you. Tito does punch harder, but Winky is to smart to mix it up. I&#39;m no Winky fan by the way, I was rooting for Mosley to win. Tito can be outboxed, look at De La Hoya (which he beat Tito), and Hopkins outboxed him.

Also I think the Eastman vs. Hopkins fight is going to closer than everybody thinks. I&#39;m also pulling for the upset their. I really dislike Hopkins. I can write a whole article on why that is, but I&#39;ll save that for later. [/b][/quote]

I am in the minority here, but most of everyone I talked to about a Hopkins-Tito fight feel Tito will beat Hopkins.

I strongly disagree.

Styles make fights. Tito can&#39;t dominate Hopkins the way he dominated other boxers. Hopkins made Tito box, move around the ring. He, like De La Hoya, took his punches and were able to counter box. They out jabbed him, and frustrated Tito. They used their jabs brilliantly and also mangled his body, by throwing body punches that set him up.

Obviously, not everyone can do this, but Mayorga, Vargas, and others are brawlers. They lacked the ability to box Tito.

I would Tito an advantage in that he is younger, fresher, and would be facing an old, 41/42 yr old Hopkins, although he is not your typical 40 something yr old, the age would be a factor. That being said, if all things are fair, I would expect a closer fight, but Hopkins winning a decision. That is, unless Don King robs him. [/b][/quote]
    age catches the best of them, ask RJjr, ya know

but I think that Tito had a poor gameplan for that fight and it was based partly on the other fights in the middleweight tournament in which he took his first fight at 160 and literally destroyed William Joppy and knocked him down about 6 times and evetually knocked him out...Joppy later said that he had never been hit so hard in his life and he was a career middleweight and had a belt at the time....that may have given Tito too much confidence that he could simply impose his will at that weight as he had done in the past

also take into consideration that Hopkins looked slow and sloppy in his fight against .....whatever guy it was he fought in his elimination bout , but Bernard proved to be a scholar of teh game and found that Tito stood in front of guys too long and is not a great defender and realized that if he could take away that devastating left hook he could have his way with Tito and have his way he did for 11 rounds of beating his ass...Tito had no answer for Hopkins but his time off was well spent and he seems to have come back with an improved style and looks like he could have a chance against an older Hopkins

this is still a fight that I need to see and I think if Tito fights smart he could win

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jan 24 2005, 11:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Jan 24 2005, 11:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-white lightning[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 11:09 AM
    [b] Winky is going to beat Tito&#33; Winky is going to outbox him, and win a desicion. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;d love to bet you on that, although he is a southpaw he is not in Tito&#39;s league and will be exposed in this fight, Tito is too strong for him [/b][/quote]
    Tito has also had a huge layoff, though. I don&#39;t think fighting Ricardo Mayorga was any kind of warm up phase. The guy is always looking for the knockout punch. He has never "BOXED" in his career. Defending against 6 haymakers per round is no big deal if you ask me. Now, I am not saying Wright will win, but I do think Wright will be MUCH better opponent than Mayorga will EVER be.

As far as I am concerned, it is only a matter of time now, before Tito runs into another Bernard Hopkins.............

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mainejet[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 12:41 PM
    [b] Defending against 6 haymakers per round is no big deal if you ask me. Now, I am not saying Wright will win, but I do think Wright will be MUCH better opponent than Mayorga will EVER be.

As far as I am concerned, it is only a matter of time now, before Tito runs into another Bernard Hopkins............. [/b][/quote]
    tell taht to 6 heads Lewis twice and Vernon Forrest twice
    and very nearly Corey Spinks too

Wright will be a boxer which is what he is, but its hard to beat speed and power even if you box, Hopkins boxed Tito but also had much more power to boot Wright will not have that, nor will he have teh experience, but nevertheless I see this as a very good matchup

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jan 24 2005, 12:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Jan 24 2005, 12:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by MiamiJet@Jan 24 2005, 11:55 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jan 24 2005, 11:46 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-white lightning[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 11:27 AM

I strongly disagree.

I would Tito an advantage in that he is younger, fresher, and would be facing an old, 41/42 yr old Hopkins, although he is not your typical 40 something yr old, the age would be a factor. That being said, if all things are fair, I would expect a closer fight, but Hopkins winning a decision. That is, unless Don King robs him. [/b][/quote]
    age catches the best of them, ask RJjr, ya know

but I think that Tito had a poor gameplan for that fight and it was based partly on the other fights in the middleweight tournament in which he took his first fight at 160 and literally destroyed William Joppy and knocked him down about 6 times and evetually knocked him out...Joppy later said that he had never been hit so hard in his life and he was a career middleweight and had a belt at the time....that may have given Tito too much confidence that he could simply impose his will at that weight as he had done in the past

also take into consideration that Hopkins looked slow and sloppy in his fight against .....whatever guy it was he fought in his elimination bout , but Bernard proved to be a scholar of teh game and found that Tito stood in front of guys too long and is not a great defender and realized that if he could take away that devastating left hook he could have his way with Tito and have his way he did for 11 rounds of beating his ass...Tito had no answer for Hopkins but his time off was well spent and he seems to have come back with an improved style and looks like he could have a chance against an older Hopkins

this is still a fight that I need to see and I think if Tito fights smart he could win [/b][/quote]
    I guess what I was trying to say before was boxers like De La Hoya and Hopkins know how to exploint Tito&#39;s weaknesses, unlike brawlers like Vargas and Mayorga.

Hopkins, like him or not, is a brilliant boxer. He knows how to brawl or box, and he sets up his opponents well. I think he gets bored in the ring. Seriously. Unless he fights a big time, dangerous opponent, he takes his time and looks lackadasical, then all of a sudden, he pours it on and the match is over.

I just think that the two guys that can, and would beat Tito are Oscar and Hopkins. That being said, I think Tito will wait out Hopkins and fight him in Sept, or sometime next year.

Hall Of Fame
    update on Lewis Klitschko......

[quote][b]Monday, January 24, 2005

[img]http://espn.starwave.com/media/box/2003/0621/photo/a_lenvit_hi.jpg[/img]
    Reuters
    LONDON -- Former undisputed world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis confirmed on Monday he will resist any temptation to take one last big pay day in the ring.
    Lewis, left, won his final fight against Vitali Klitschko on June 21, 2003, but many booed the outcome.

A British newspaper on Sunday quoted the 39-year-old Briton as saying he planned to fight World Boxing Council (WBC) champion Ukrainian Vitali Klitschko this year for up to 21 million pounds (&#036;39.5 million).

"I boxed professionally for many years and there will always be an attraction to the sport but I am not returning to the ring," Lewis said in a statement.

"The recent attraction given to the possibility of a comeback is flattering and evidences the public&#39;s desire for someone to establish a legacy similar to the one I left behind as the true heavyweight champion of the world."

Lewis retired last year after his final fight with Klitschko in June 2003 was stopped after six rounds because of severe cuts to the Ukrainian.

He became only the third man after Americans Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano to retire while still world champion.

"I want to reiterate what I said when I retired in February 2004 that I was fortunate to leave the sport on my own terms and that I will be one of the few heavyweight champions in history to retire on top and stay retired," Lewis said.

Klitschko has demanded a rematch with Lewis several times and his manager Bernd Boente told the BBC: "I have talked to Vitali and he&#39;s happy to go."

[/b][/quote]

Damn man would Lewis make up his mind already&#33; Either fight or shut up.

I hate when these boxers retire/ unretire/ oh I&#39;m done/ I wan&#39;t 1 more fight....either or man.

Lewis has nothing else to prove and is an all time great in my eyes. Just chill my man much respect to ya..give it up. I think he would probably win but I just get sick of hearing about the guy coming back one day..then he is not fighting the next.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That would be great if it&#39;s at MSG. Saw Tito vs Sweet Pea there in a ho hum contest.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:09 PM
    [b] That would be great if it&#39;s at MSG. Saw Tito vs Sweet Pea there in a ho hum contest. [/b][/quote]
    guys, its the offseason do we still move topics when football is over?