Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Volek

Can we get this guy in a trade?

Do you think we can get him for a 2nd RD Pick?

Yeah, that price is a little high for a QB with such a small body of work, but IMO it's a price we have to pay ... but will Tennessee trade Volek for a 2nd RD Pick?

As for the price being a little high ... TOO BAD

If Chad has a torn rotator cuff {and a torn labrum?}, we have to prepare for the worst ... we have to prepare as if he's done for 2005, even if that's not the case ... we have to prepare for the worse case scenario

Volek gives us the added advantage of already knowing our new OC's system ... and that's huge for a QB ... and he's flashed some nice skills as well

So the question remains ... do you think we could get him from the Titans for a 2?

All Pro
    No.

A - The titans hate us right now and would have a higher asking price for us than for other teams.

B - I don't they will let him go period, because they know that Mcnair doesnt have many years left.

With rumors about McNair retiring, and the Titans going through cap hell, I doubt it.

Then again, maybe exactly for those reason, they give up Volek and use the extra 2nd to rebuild.

Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Think we can pickup Mason too? :D

All Pro
    it's amazing how you guys keep cooking up schemes in which we make a deal for some shmoe at a position that we don't need. we have brooks bollinger, which is basically a pennington clone, and ricky ray. no need to risk draft picks on a guy just because he's worked with our new offensive coordinator. mark my words, we stay put in the FA market and stay in our draft position. any moves right now would be a mistake.

Banned
    I think we can. The Titans are going to know that no team would possibly give up a 1 for Volek. Then again, it depends on what happens with McNair. If the Titans are worried that next year may be Steve's last, I'm thinking they start to view Billy Volek as untradeable.

I would definitely give up a 2nd for Billy Volek. People are going to post in this topic and say that the Titans still lost with Volek at quarterback, but they'll ignore that over half the Titans starting defense made a home on the injury list last season.

Volek is one of my favorite players, and I would truly feel confident with him as starting quarterback not only for a few games, but for the whole year, if neccessary.

[quote][i]Originally posted by MiamiJet[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:22 PM
    [b] With rumors about McNair retiring, and the Titans going through cap hell, I doubt it. [/b][/quote]
    In that case {Titans in cap hell and McNair almost done}, can we get McNair for a 2 or a 3 and let them start rebuilding with Volek?

Even if McNair only plays one more year, that's all we need ... we need him for 2005 in the event Chad is done

Possible?

All Pro
    BollyBall will come to broadway,and it will be all the rage.

Just watch.

Chad will return,and as i predicted,the decision he makes following Chad`s return,will be his undoing as The Jets HC.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:22 PM
    [b] With rumors about McNair retiring, and the Titans going through cap hell, I doubt it. [/b][/quote]
    In that case {Titans in cap hell and McNair almost done}, can we get McNair for a 2 or a 3 and let them start rebuilding with Volek?

Even if McNair only plays one more year, that&#39;s all we need ... we need him for 2005 in the event Chad is done

Possible? [/b][/quote]
    Sounds good to me, but doesn&#39;t McNair have a big contract?

What would be their cap hit?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:22 PM

Even if McNair only plays one more year, that&#39;s all we need ... we need him for 2005 in the event Chad is done

Possible? [/b][/quote]
    McNair is untradable due to his cap number if traded. He just signed that rediculous contract. He is the number 1 reason for the titans cap problems and it would make the problems worse if they traded him.

[quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM
    [b] Volek is one of my favorite players, and I would truly feel confident with him as starting quarterback not only for a few games, but for the whole year, if neccessary. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly

I&#39;m lookin for a guy who can start [b]AND WIN[/b] in 2005 ... all year, if necessary ... and not some back-up type QB

Don&#39;t laugh: Sign Jeff George, there is no qb availble who is more talented. Would sign for 1mill and wont cost anything in picks or future cap dollars.

Please Brooks Bollinger? he cant even take the snap from center without puttin iton the ground. You want to develop a young qb, fine. but if you put him on the field in a game that means something your season&#39;s over.

[quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:49 PM
    [b] Don&#39;t laugh: Sign Jeff George, there is no qb availble who is more talented. Would sign for 1mill and wont cost anything in picks or future cap dollars.

Please Brooks Bollinger? he cant even take the snap from center without puttin iton the ground. You want to develop a young qb, fine. but if you put him on the field in a game that means something your season&#39;s over. [/b][/quote]
    I agree ... depending on Bolly to lead a WIN NOW TEAM is not an option ... it&#39;s a Joke

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 24 2005, 01:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 24 2005, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-patman[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:49 PM
    [b] Don&#39;t laugh: Sign Jeff George, there is no qb availble who is more talented. Would sign for 1mill and wont cost anything in picks or future cap dollars.

Please Brooks Bollinger? he cant even take the snap from center without puttin iton the ground. You want to develop a young qb, fine. but if you put him on the field in a game that means something your season&#39;s over. [/b][/quote]
    I agree ... depending on Bolly to lead a WIN NOW TEAM is not an option ... it&#39;s a Joke [/b][/quote]
    In all fairness J. George is a joke also...what would Kitna cost??

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i love it - lamont jordan, who was untested at the time, was going to bring us a number 1 or 2 preseason, but billy volek, who until further notice is tennessee&#39;s starting qb, can be had for a #2...

i say right now, with mcnair&#39;s future up in the air, a starting qb with a low cap number, proven success in your system, and a rep as a &#39;team first&#39; player is about as untouchable as they come.

[quote][i]Originally posted by djc[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:22 PM
    [b]I don&#39;t they will let him go period, because they know that Mcnair doesnt have many years left.[/b][/quote]
    Atlanta wanted Volek bad this time last year and courted him no little. The Titans did everything they could to keep him because they knew McNairs game was all out and he could go down any second. With McNair even hinting at retirement, I don&#39;t see any way the Titans let Volek go. It&#39;s too bad because he&#39;s a gamer. Another guy who was scouted out of college with a "weak arm" and all he does is rack up mega passing yards anytime he gets in a game.

Veteran
    instead of giving up our second for Volek we should just draft a QB.. Adrian McPherson will probably be around... i would love to get this guy. hes got a cannon and great athletic ability. He tore the AFL up and he runs a 4.5 40,

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i&#39;ve got news for you - billy volek isnt a backup. he has proven he deserves to be a starting QB in the NFL. The titans know this - why would they just give him away? especially with mcnair ailing?

you know, with Hackett out the door, keeping QC around for a few years might not be such a bad option. the question is- how much &#036;&#036; would it take?

All League
    I honestly can not imagine Titans even consider any talk of trading Volek- with McNair hinting retirement and physical ailments. And as isired said above no way that it would only take a 2nd round pick.
    It may come down to decide do we want Carter -I personally vote no on that subject to changing my opinion.

[quote][i]Originally posted by MiamiJet+Jan 24 2005, 01:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (MiamiJet &#064; Jan 24 2005, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:22 PM

Possible? [/b][/quote]
    Sounds good to me, but doesn&#39;t McNair have a big contract?

What would be their cap hit? [/b][/quote]
    McNair is due a 50 mill roster bonus in either 05 or 06.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 24 2005, 01:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 24 2005, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Troll[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 01:26 PM
    [b] Volek is one of my favorite players, and I would truly feel confident with him as starting quarterback not only for a few games, but for the whole year, if neccessary. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly

I&#39;m lookin for a guy who can start [b]AND WIN[/b] in 2005 ... all year, if necessary ... and not some back-up type QB [/b][/quote]
    Volek was a UDFA - how do we really know that Dinger can&#39;t grab some other UDFA and do the same thing? how do we know he can&#39;t turn Ricky Ray into the man?

basically i refuse to worry about QB contingency plans until we hear how Chad&#39;s surgery goes et cetera - there&#39;s no sense in getting all wilded up about nothing. As far as im concerned Chad is the well-paid QB of the JETS next year until i hear otherwise...